What's a good crew skill for a newbie f2p player?

#1vaynarkPosted 2/4/2013 7:56:40 PM
Just got the game 3 days ago and I'm playing as a Jedi Sentinel right now. Since f2p players like myself are limited to one crew skill, I decided not to take any crafting skills due to the lack of crew skill slots and I'm just going to take a gathering or a mission skill to support myself. My question is which gathering or mission skill is good for my Jedi Sentinel? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
---
"Doomed planet, desperate scientist, last hope, kindly couple... Superman"
Lex Luthor, All Star Superman.
#2MoganPosted 2/4/2013 8:07:12 PM
If you're JUST taking a single gathering skill, you wont be able to do anything but sell any crafting materials you get from you skill, so I say take Treasure Hunting. You can get companion gifts and lock boxes from Treasure Hunting, which will be things you can actually use by themselves.
---
"I can't buy a pack of smokes without running into 9 guys you've ****ed!"
#3vaynark(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 8:18:13 PM
What about Slicing? I hear that Slicing is also a good money making skill.
---
#4Captain PandaPosted 2/4/2013 8:22:42 PM
Yeah, Slicing can make you some cash, and it's the one skill that more or less stands alone, plus you don't even have to do missions to level it. It's probably your best bet. Note also that if you spend any money at all, you become a Premium, which gets you an extra Crew Skill, so if you make your one purchase that of a Crew Skill, you can still get the full set of three. That may or may not be feasible for you, but food for thought. If you definitely don't plan to spend any money on the game, then I'd stick with Slicing.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Df0yP.jpg
Stay Dangerous, my friends.
#5vaynark(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 8:33:40 PM
I want to become a subscriber or at least a preferred status player but my wallet doesn't let me at the moment, haha. I guess I'll go with Slicing for now. Thanks for the answers, guys. One more thing, If I buy a Crew Skill slot, will I get one or two crew skill slot?
---
#6MoganPosted 2/4/2013 8:34:10 PM
What about Slicing? I hear that Slicing is also a good money making skill.

It CAN, but as a free player your credit cap is pretty low and you can hit it pretty easy just playing the game without using any crew skills.
---
#7MoganPosted 2/4/2013 8:35:26 PM
I want to become a subscriber or at least a preferred status player but my wallet doesn't let me at the moment, haha. I guess I'll go with Slicing for now. Thanks for the answers, guys. One more thing, If I buy a Crew Skill slot, will I get one or two crew skill slot?

If you buy a crew skill slot, you'll actually get two slots. One from the slot unlock you bought, and one for becoming Preferred because you spent money buying coins ... to buy a crew skill.
---
#8vaynark(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 8:53:38 PM
Thanks, Mogan. I'll try Treasure Hunting for now. I think got a few lockboxes from quest rewards, but I can't seem to find them in my inventory. I wonder why? Small lockboxes, if I'm not mistaken, their icon have cartel market coin icons on them. Also, how do I start a mission if I have a mission skill and how do I gather crafting items if I have a gathering skill?
---
#9MoganPosted 2/4/2013 8:59:19 PM(edited)
For Treasure Hunting, you'll see a list of missions, and under the description of each it'll tell you what kind of yield you get and cost of running them. It'll say something like, "Rich yield: Companion Gifts - $100." Then you just select a companion from a drop down box and click Send.
That's how all the gathering/mission crew skills work. The crafting crew skills give you a list of all your known schematics, and clicking on one will bring up a list of what you need to make it vs. how much of each material you have.
---
#10vaynark(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 9:06:13 PM
Okay, got it. I'll go get Treasure Hunting and try it right after work.
---