Powertech vs. Vanguard

#1cheesegiantPosted 2/11/2013 9:50:02 PM
I really don't know which one to choose. I like the Vanguard weapons and armor better, but the powertech skills. I don't know how the stories compare though. Any thoughts?
---
The night was dark, the moon was green, out came the flying turd machine. The lights went out, a scream was heard, someone was hit, with a flying turd.
#2SazukeEXPosted 2/11/2013 9:58:08 PM
Bounty Hunter have the far better story ending and the option to kill a very important person for the Republic or Empire at Chapter 3's end.
---
FE:A-MU/Olivia, Chrom/Sumia, Lissa/Vaike, Lon'qu/Cordelia, Gaius/Maribelle, Donnel/Nowi, Riveria/Sully, Panne/Stahl, Miriel/Ricken, Tharja/Henri, Cherche/Virion
#3Captain PandaPosted 2/11/2013 10:12:20 PM
As far as stories go, Hunter and Trooper are probably the two weakest, IMO. However, there is a critical difference in that I think Hunter is "weak compared to the others, but still pretty good...the others are just better", and Trooper is more just kinda bad.

The Hunter story is kind of revenge-centric (it's the primary motivation of the first and third chapters, though not the second). Of course, it balances that with hunting bounties (generally, because you are working for a specific client so you can get your chance at revenge). You've got some bigger shot telling you who to hunt in the first and third acts, but it doesn't change the fact that you manage to look damn cool doing it. Still, the feeling of lacking of autonomy for so much of it is a bit of a bummer.

Trooper, on the other hand, focuses on being the guy (or gal) who gets things done for the Republic. You take on enemies and threats that are too big for others to face (or that the Republic can't have made public, or both). Unfortunately, the villains are dry and poorly used, characters appear, disappear, and then occasionally reappear with no warning, and the writer seemed overly eager to throw things into a "no right answer" situation, but tended to leave out the emotion (and one of the few times there is emotion, the no-win situation makes no logical sense). It does have a few cool climactic moments, but they're a little too few and far between for me.

Both seem geared towards being mostly, though not totally, lightside (Trooper is slightly darkside-er than Hunter, but only by a little, despite being Republic), and have mostly lightside oriented allies, though both have one notable, extremely dark-oriented, "why is he even in my crew"-level exception if you go the "natural" path.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Df0yP.jpg
Stay Dangerous, my friends.
#4SazukeEXPosted 2/11/2013 11:29:26 PM
The weakest story is Consular and Smuggler. Smuggler is just for kicks, nothing ever happens in it other than that. Consular is all about you constantly getting weaker and working as a side story compared to the epic that is Jedi Knight.
---
FE:A-MU/Olivia, Chrom/Sumia, Lissa/Vaike, Lon'qu/Cordelia, Gaius/Maribelle, Donnel/Nowi, Riveria/Sully, Panne/Stahl, Miriel/Ricken, Tharja/Henri, Cherche/Virion
#5TluhdatsiPosted 2/12/2013 12:10:58 AM
The Consular story gets awesome once you get to Corellia. I understand how you might not have the patience to sit through it that long, though; it is pretty dry for a really long time.

The other story I've finished is the Bounty Hunter, and I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of a revenge-centered 1970s action movie, like Deathwish.
---
"We have a Constitution to protect us from the rule of 'most reasonable people'." -Butters (not the one from South Park)
#6SKA_Posted 2/12/2013 6:00:10 AM
powertech skills have cooler animations. vanguard gets less ugly armor.
---
it's not easy being this awesome and modest
#7LordBowserPosted 2/12/2013 10:42:55 AM
Powertechs use flamethrowers, jetpacks, rocket punches.

Vanguards use zapper guns, running really fast, and hitting people with your gun.

For that reason, I think Powertech by far wins.

That said, I'd make a commando too.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#8LordBowserPosted 2/12/2013 10:46:56 AM
SazukeEX posted...
The weakest story is Consular and Smuggler. Smuggler is just for kicks, nothing ever happens in it other than that. Consular is all about you constantly getting weaker and working as a side story compared to the epic that is Jedi Knight.

The smuggler story is incredible in chapter 1, building up to an epic conclusion.

Chapter 2 is excessively boring.

Chapter 3 is a little boring up until Correllia... and then it becomes incredible. I have yet to finish it (I actually might today), but I was very impressed.

The Jedi Knight is... well, exaggerated. You save planets constantly and do ridiculous things to save the day, leading up to a super heroic conclusion. It's a great story, no doubt about it, but it is a little ridiculous in that sense.

The inquisitor story is a little boring. I loved chapter 1, but chapter 2 was boring, and chapter 3 is a little underwhelming. It did have a great ending, however, and a great assortment of companion characters.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#9BigBoss2021Posted 2/14/2013 12:31:21 PM
I dunno what's up with all the BH armor hate. You do look a little silly up until mid 30s, then Mandalorian-esque armor starts appearing and it looks amazing. That's my opinion though. I've always loved the Mando armor.
---
It's my money and I NEED IT NOW!! Steam ID = Physlics
Need more people for Darkfall: Unholy Wars!
#10TluhdatsiPosted 2/14/2013 1:26:56 PM
As for Bounty Hunter and armor, I bought my Powertech a nice-looking moddable red-and-black Juggernaut robe with hood down for her sometime in her 20s or maybe early 30s. It was a player-crafted item on the GTN. Been wearing it ever since.
---
"We have a Constitution to protect us from the rule of 'most reasonable people'." -Butters (not the one from South Park)