Does Disney have a say in SWTOR now ?

#1VasDeferensPosted 2/13/2013 11:33:20 PM(edited)
The thought just occurred to me. Wasn't Lucasarts also included in the package that the Disney bought ? Does EA or Bioware run some stuff by Disney ?
#2PulpPosted 2/13/2013 11:55:48 PM
Lucasarts is a subsidiary of Lucasfilm, so ya. As far as I know, the actual staff/structure hasn't changed much in the aquisition.

Who knows about the level of say LA has...it would probably depend on how the contract was written. I'd imagine most of the overall "story" was written and approved long ago, and EA has a fair amount of freedom filling in the dialog. The fact that EA is adding gay relationships to the universe probably speaks to that freedom as well.

I am personally hopeful that LA's licensing deal includes some concrete numbers for the 2nd year (which would explain EA's relatively quick transition to F2P, odd pre-pre ordering of Makeb and downsizing). It will speed up the demise of this game and free up the IP for a new MMO sooner rather than later.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#3Deaths_BladePosted 2/14/2013 12:49:29 AM
While I'm not as macabre as Pulp, I'd much rather LucasArts made some decent offline games rather than continued to work on TOR.

Then again, while I enjoy TOR, it's very much just a weekend time-sink for me.
---
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it - Thomas Paine: The American Crisis IV
#4SoulTrapperPosted 2/14/2013 7:07:13 AM
Disney has it's own game studio, so if EA doesn't have a longterm deal, I'm not sure how much longer they'll manage to stretch it.
Since it's pretty obvious the game isn't exactly a fountain of gold.

I don't think Disney will interfere in how they manage TOR, but if they ever get the idea to create their own SW MMO (and with the upcoming movies, this doesn't seem impossible) I think this one will be taken down.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#5rowgue34Posted 2/14/2013 8:47:29 AM
The only thing they'll have a say in is whether to renew the licensing agreement when the current deal expires. And I'm pretty sure what that answer is going to be.
#6TluhdatsiPosted 2/14/2013 9:03:59 AM
Pulp posted...
The fact that EA is adding gay relationships to the universe probably speaks to that freedom as well.

I suspect Disney is more open to that sort of thing than George Lucas is. That'd explain why the formal announcement that it'd definitely be coming with Makeb was made shortly after the sale was announced.
---
"We have a Constitution to protect us from the rule of 'most reasonable people'." -Butters (not the one from South Park)
#7Cubbiesboy22Posted 2/14/2013 11:06:39 AM
Bioware/EA is working on TOR. Lucasarts is working on other games such as the bounty hunter game. Again, TOR will not be shutting down anytime soon. If anyone honestly thinks this then I have a bridge to sell you.
#8rowgue34Posted 2/14/2013 11:57:57 AM
Cubbiesboy22 posted...
Bioware/EA is working on TOR. Lucasarts is working on other games such as the bounty hunter game. Again, TOR will not be shutting down anytime soon. If anyone honestly thinks this then I have a bridge to sell you.

It's...I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you. If you're going to make lame attempts to insult people's intelligence at least get the insult right.
#9pyber80Posted 2/14/2013 1:13:37 PM
rowgue34 posted...
Cubbiesboy22 posted...

It's...I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you. If you're going to make lame attempts to insult people's intelligence at least get the insult right.

Um, it isn't a requirement that you be specific about the bridge. Rarely have I ever heard anyone mention the Brooklyn Bridge itself, just "a bridge". You're just nitpicking in a lame attempt at making yourself look superior. And anyways, its less an insult than a comment on someone's gullibility.

On-topic, as long as the current license agreement is in place there's very little Disney will have to do with TOR, if anything at all. Once the license comes up for renewal, then things may change, assuming the game is doing well enough to warrant a renewal of course.
---
http://i.imgur.com/pdoYu.png
#10VelescoPosted 2/14/2013 3:31:21 PM
I don't pretend to be privy to this sort of information, but I don't believe Lucasarts has anything to do with this game. Bioware/EA purchased the Star Wars liscence from them and that's it...
---
"Meh..."