Might come back to this game...

#1Lord_VaderPosted 2/13/2013 11:39:04 PM
I haven't played since May. However I am definitely not subscribing and instead will opt for the FTP service since I'm not sure I'll be that dedicated to the game. Is F2P really that bad in this? I've heard some horror stories..
---
Live long and prosper.
#2PulpPosted 2/13/2013 11:44:22 PM
I think all non-sub options suck (primarily because of non-removable restrictions, even if you spend $15+ a month in the store).

But the better question is...what do you think of the game? I mean, it hasn't really changed much since May. If you thought it sucked then, it sucks now and the F2P will just annoy you. If you kinda liked the game in May and just quit because you lacked money or something....then yeah, I guess it might be worth coming back for free.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#3Lord_Vader(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 12:14:18 AM(edited)
Well I was just in it for the story tbh because I loved KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2. ToR was my first MMORPG. I don't really care about PvP and all of that crap but just completing each class's story.
---
Live long and prosper.
#4Cubbiesboy22Posted 2/14/2013 5:23:45 AM
Pulp posted...
I think all non-sub options suck (primarily because of non-removable restrictions, even if you spend $15+ a month in the store).

But the better question is...what do you think of the game? I mean, it hasn't really changed much since May. If you thought it sucked then, it sucks now and the F2P will just annoy you. If you kinda liked the game in May and just quit because you lacked money or something....then yeah, I guess it might be worth coming back for free.

As I say after every time this guy posts, ignore this guy. F2P option is fine if you just want to enjoy the story. Since it sounds like you used to play you would be in preferred status so you will have less restrictions. You will level a bit slower and have one less crew skill and can't equip purple gear. However, if you are just looking to enjoy the story, that means you will have to do the bonus missions which means an extra hour on a planet, you don't really need 2 crew skills or any really to enjoy the story, and you won't really find any purple gear and if you really feel compelled to wear the artifacts you can buy the authorization.
#5SoulTrapperPosted 2/14/2013 7:00:34 AM
http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Everything you need to know right there.

If you wonder why you never see anyone who likes the game post it, it's because the restrictions are awful.

If you previously subscribed, you get the "preferred" status, which is slightly better.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#6Lord_Vader(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 1:38:00 PM
SoulTrapper posted...
http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Everything you need to know right there.

If you wonder why you never see anyone who likes the game post it, it's because the restrictions are awful.

If you previously subscribed, you get the "preferred" status, which is slightly better.

I just read that link. It seems there are a lot of restrictions with F2P. You're only limited to 3 species during character customization? And you can't chat with others? That sucks.
---
Live long and prosper.
#7PulpPosted 2/14/2013 7:56:02 PM
Cubbiesboy22 posted...
As I say after every time this guy posts, ignore this guy.

If you are gonna suggest "ignoring" me, you probably shouldn't spend the rest of your post repeating what I said. And I recognize you will have difficulty puzzling out what I mean -- my advice is....get angry and take your own advice :)
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#8The RobPosted 2/15/2013 5:56:23 AM
F2P is fine for playing the stories. You'd definitely want to sub if you plan on grinding elder game or doing a lot of FPs while leveling.

I switched to Preferred for most of Nov/Dec, but resubbed as I got closer to 50. You can still chat just fine but there's a short timer (like 10s or something) b/w messages. So you can still have a normal conversation but it makes spamming or arguing a little inconvenient.

- You lose artifact equipment (purple rank) but it's not necessary for leveling so don't worry about it.
- Aesthetics-wise, "unify colours", "hide head slot" , "display title", "display legacy name" are locked features but they're usually pretty cheap unlocks to purchase on GTN.
- There's a 25% XP restriction so leveling will be a bit slower but you can purchase XP Boost packs on GTN to bring that back to normal if you want. If you're playing just for story then you probably won't mind doing a few extra quests (like heroics) for the extra rewards and XP anyway.

F2P is there to let people play the game and hopefully buy cartel items; the restrictions are there to encourage people who want more from their game to subscribe. Haters are gonna hate so you're better off just ignoring them and trying it for yourself.
---
whatnow12012 posted...
I am not the same person as Whatnow or whatever his or hers name.
#9CaliberChampPosted 2/15/2013 3:12:12 PM
You're better off trying other f2p games. Like star trek online if you like that kind of setting. Or dc universe for a superhero fan, or try tera if you want a f2p fantasy game like experience. The competition just outshines swtor with its extreme limitations and its outdated combat system.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman arkham city, Brutal Legend
Terrible games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, X-Com, War Z