Playing for the story?

#1Jester323Posted 2/15/2013 10:38:51 AM
I've been kind of in a gaming slump and since I heard swtor was free to play I thought I might pick it up for fun when I'm bored. How is the story while leveling?
Is the game anything like the kotor games? I'm sure combat is probably different, but is there a general similar feel?
---
*Jester323 e/l/sc
#2Deaths_BladePosted 2/15/2013 10:42:06 AM
I'm F2Pand I play purely for the story. Each class has a different one, and most are pretty good [IMO smuggler/ consular are worst and guardian/agent are best].
---
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it - Thomas Paine: The American Crisis IV
#3MoganPosted 2/15/2013 11:13:08 AM(edited)
Is the game anything like the kotor games? I'm sure combat is probably different, but is there a general similar feel?

The stories, and your interactions with them, aren't as complex as they would be in a single player RPG, like KotOR, but if you're a Star Wars fan and/or a KotOR fan, you'll probably enjoy yourself leveling a character from 1 to 50.
There aesthetic of SWTOR is real similar to the KotOR games, and the combat isn't so different that you'll be totally lost (biggest difference is that you can't pause and issue orders).

If you try the Free to Play and like it up to about level 10, you should probably spend $5-10 buying your way around some of the many restrictions. Spending any money makes you a Preferred player, and loosens some limitations, and you can buy your way around most of the rest using either real or in game money.
---
"I can't buy a pack of smokes without running into 9 guys you've ****ed!"
#4ZiktenPosted 2/15/2013 12:36:27 PM
even preferred is pretty restrictive though.
#5SoulTrapperPosted 2/15/2013 12:41:47 PM
http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Details all the restrictions.

Most people seem to enjoy the first month or so (although the restrictions might limit this somewhat).

The only thing you've got to lose is time and bandwidth.

Up to you if you want to give it a go.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#6tryforcePosted 2/15/2013 12:51:40 PM
Play the jedi knight storyline if your looking for a kotor sequel.
#7MoganPosted 2/15/2013 1:24:31 PM

If you're just looking to play the stories, it gives you just about everything you need.
---
"I can't buy a pack of smokes without running into 9 guys you've ****ed!"
#8MCC1701Posted 2/15/2013 1:49:18 PM
As a long-time wow player I have no desire to switch to a game that frankly seems to be lacking in the end-game area. However I love the KOTOR series and have been playing ftp for a little bit. It is annoying at times, but when you are just into "questing" and care more about getting everything done than leveling up, FTP works alright.

Regarding the cartel stuff however, I am curious on three points:

If I keep playing getting to preferred wouldn't be a bad idea, but it depends on all it does for me. So far all I have seen are some "general" perks, which aren't half bad but nothing that screams "must have." For those that are preferred, what do you see as the biggest perks?

To get to be preferred, it seems you need to buy stuff with that cartel market. What general things are worth buying? I don't really give a crap about end-game, but what things would be worth buying?

Lastly, I hear that some things you can buy from the cartel market you can buy on this game's "Auction House," is this true? If so how practical would getting stuff that way be?
---
World of Warcraft, Dark Souls, Magic: The Gathering. I know a lot about each of them so if you have any questions, just ask.
#9Nagisa_ShinjuPosted 2/15/2013 2:57:29 PM
To get Preferred status, you need to spend five dollars in the shop. Be it Cartel Market, or stuff on the SWTOR shop. You can buy some of the unlocks via the cartel market, or buy them via the auction house. They are quite expensive for a new player so don't expect to hop on that stuff for a while.

Personally, I found the Digital Deluxe upgrade to be worth the five dollars. Most of the stuff in it is junk, except for the account wide mount that gains speed depending on mount skill. If you plan on playing multiple characters, look at the unlocks that are account wide.
#10VasDeferensPosted 2/15/2013 3:08:51 PM
Mogan posted...

If you're just looking to play the stories, it gives you just about everything you need.

Off the top of my head :

Preferred gets two crew skill slots. That should be fine, Just take a gathering skill and a mission skill and sell stuff on the GTN .

They get 6 character slots per server. Enough to run through all the class stories trying out both advanced classes per story .

Just get the Preferred pack to unlock titles, unify colors, etc.

If you don't plan to do much end game stuff that should get you through .