Newbie questions

#1LeBurns63Posted 9/3/2013 7:19:58 AM(edited)
New player, started last night.

Two questions.

1) When putting on some armor I get a warning saying that armor will meld or something like that. What does that mean? I can't tell it's any different than other armors.

2) What do I need to do to unlock the premium stuff? Just buy some credits? If so how much?

EDIT, I'll add some more questions

3) I love playing snipers and ranged attackers. Is the Imperial Agent the best for that?

4) If I played the Imperial Agent ... can be be good? Does making good choices hurt you somehow if you are playing a Dark Side class?

Thanks.
---
I'm glad your opinion differs from mine. What a boring place this world would be if it didn't.
#2Captain PandaPosted 9/3/2013 8:28:19 AM
Burhenn63 posted...
1) When putting on some armor I get a warning saying that armor will meld or something like that. What does that mean? I can't tell it's any different than other armors.

Equipping armor "binds" it to you, so you can't sell/trade/give it to another character. Some items bind the moment you receive them, rather than just when you equip them, so the game won't usually warn you about those. Also some items bind to you but are fully refundable if you sell them back to a vendor within two hours (in case you decide you don't want them). The game will not warn you when the timer is about to expire, but will warn you if you're about to do something that will prematurely eliminate the refund window.

2) What do I need to do to unlock the premium stuff? Just buy some credits? If so how much?

As long as you spend some real money on the game, you become Premium. This can be by subbing (and letting it lapse) or buying Cartel Coins.

3) I love playing snipers and ranged attackers. Is the Imperial Agent the best for that?

The Sniper obviously has it in the name, but every Advanced Class in the game has a exact mirror on the opposite faction. For Snipers that's the Gunslinger (a Smuggler AC). The animations are a little different but they play the same. Sages/Sorcerers and Commandos/Mercenaries can also play as ranged damage dealers. Of them all, though, only Gunslingers/Snipers use the Cover system, which can be both a blessing and a curse.

4) If I played the Imperial Agent ... can be be good? Does making good choices hurt you somehow if you are playing a Dark Side class?

Agent is generally regarded as the best storyline in the game. Without a doubt, it's one of the most rich experience, and the one where your choices make the most difference. You're never "hurt" for making Light or Dark Side choices, on any class, in any faction, and for fun value I generally recommend playing "in character" rather than just making every choice Light or Dark when the option comes up. My Agent was actually totally neutral come level 50. All his choices had balanced to the point that he still hadn't even hit Light or Dark I.

One other warning about playing Agent first, though: some of the late game missions have a pretty big reveal regarding the true nature of several NPCs and plot threads of varied importance that appear in the other classes' stories. Knowing this revelation can change the feel of certain scenes...some people may enjoy going in with this extra knowledge, or may just not care one way or the other, but some may not want it "spoiled", so if you're in that group, you might want to wait to play one.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Df0yP.jpg
Stay Dangerous, my friends.
#3Muljo StphoPosted 9/3/2013 8:39:44 AM

I think you mean bind? When equipment is bound to you, you can no longer sell or trade it to other characters. When you're done with it you can only sell it to a vendor or destroy it. Nothing about the item itself changes when it binds. It just can't be used by anyone besides you or your companions.

* Most gear that you find will be "bind on equip". Once you equip it, it's yours forever.

* Some things may instead be "bind on pick up". As soon as it's in your inventory, it's yours forever.

* It's usually reserved for special stuff obtained from events or at end game, but some stuff can even be "binds to legacy". This is like "binds on pick up" except that it can be traded through the mail to your other characters on the same server. (This of course requires having access to being able to send / receive stuff in the mail, which means you must at least be a preferred player.)

* If you purchase items on the cartel market you will notice a countdown on most of the items saying that it is bound to you for a certain amount of time. Unless you use it / equip it before then (which permanently binds it to you) it will revert to being "binds on equip" when the timer runs out.

* Some items obtained in flashpoints will also get bound on a countdown. But when that timer runs out they will still be bound to you. The timer is just your grace period to trade the item to other characters that were in that same flashpoint with you when you got it.

What do you mean? Artifact gear?

You might have noticed that the quality of the gear is color coded. There's some really bad trash gear for which the icon has white / uncolored border. A green border marks the lowest tier of proper gear. A blue border marks the next tier above that. An orange border can be considered to be the next tier and is an item which can be customized. A purple border marks the top tier which is known as "artifact" gear and is restricted to non-subscribers unless you pay to get artifact gear unlocked for that character. This unlock is sold on the cartel market, or you might find someone selling it for a ton of credits on the GTN (terminal on the fleet and in a few other places where you can put things up for sale for other players). There might also be a dark purple "legendary" tier above artifact. The artifact restrictions should apply to that too.
---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#4Muljo StphoPosted 9/3/2013 8:39:54 AM

Each of the classes that you can start as gets two options to change to when they hit level 10 (check on the fleet to pick up the mission). One of the Agent's options is indeed a class called Sniper. The Gunslinger (from the Smuggler class) is the functionally equivalent class on the Republic side.

Sniper and Gunslinger can only play as DPS and they will almost always play ranged. Operative and Scoundrel (the other option for Agent and Smuggler) can play healer or DPS, and as DPS you may get into ranged or melee combat.

Bounty Hunter and Trooper are functionally equivalent to each other. They have a tank/DPS option with the Powertech and Vanguard, and they have a healer/DPS option with the Mercenary and Commando. The tanks are kind of ranged. They operate more in the 10m range instead of working from the full 30m away that other ranged characters operate in. The healers can more comfortably work as proper ranged characters.

Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight are functionally equivalent to each other. They have a tank/DPS option with the Juggernaut and Guardian, and they have a DPS only option with the Marauder and Sentinel. Whichever way you go, they're all designed for melee combat.

Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Consular are functionally equivalent to each other. They have a tank/DPS option with the Assassin and Shadow, and they have a healer/DPS option with the Sorceror and Sage. The tanks are meant to be melee characters, and the healers are ranged characters.

There is no such thing as a "dark side class". They're all perfectly viable to play as light, dark, or anywhere in between. With that said though, some options that some classes get may come across as awkward. Blame the writers, not the alignment.

The Agent is actually a great one to explore both sides of though. Agent got some of the best writing in the game and has the most well thought out scenarios for light and dark choices.

Either type of Jedi can get awkward around options that involve killing people. Other dark sided options may not be so weird, but the killing really stands out. Light sided Sith can be a bit odd too, but it's nowhere near as bad as a murderous Jedi.

Bounty Hunter seems the most like it ought to lean in a particular direction (and their first companion will make some good arguments to even them out anyway) but for the most part the non-Sith and non-Jedi are actually pretty neutral.
---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#5LeBurns63(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 8:41:03 AM
THANKS!

Some Followups:

1) So if some clothing is 'Bound' to me, say I put it on since it's the best available, I can still get rid of it later right? Just trash it if I can't sell it or whatever.

2) So I figure I'll buy say $10 of credits to get premium unlocked. What do I buy with it? I can't really find a 'store' on the website to show what's available.

3 & 4) I guess the Gunslinger is ok, but that Agent's ship looks SO COOL. I didn't know about the story being one of the best though. I played the Smuggler last night (got to level 6 before I realized I was just screwing up way too much) and he's quite the rouge, especially with the females ... but that ship is SO COOL. Anyway I think I would prefer a rifle over pistols. I'm trying to play with my brother on a PVE server but he's playing a Light Class. Can we still adventure together if I play a Dark Class?

I have to admit, cover confused the crap out of me last night.

I suppose if I just play myself I'll generally get Light points, though after playing to level 6 last night I ended up with 50 Light points and 100 Dark points. Go figure.
---
I'm glad your opinion differs from mine. What a boring place this world would be if it didn't.
#6Captain PandaPosted 9/3/2013 9:08:12 AM
Burhenn63 posted...
1) So if some clothing is 'Bound' to me, say I put it on since it's the best available, I can still get rid of it later right? Just trash it if I can't sell it or whatever.

You can sell it to a vendor and get a few credits for it. You just can't give it to another player.

2) So I figure I'll buy say $10 of credits to get premium unlocked. What do I buy with it? I can't really find a 'store' on the website to show what's available.

I recommend buying a crew skill unlock. You'll get one by default, one for becoming preferred, and then the third will match you with what subscribers get. Furthermore, to get the much out of the crew skill system, you'll need the full set of three. Beyond that, I'm not sure. If you do endgame stuff you'll want Artifact Equipment Authorization, but that doesn't make a huge difference while leveling.

3 & 4) I guess the Gunslinger is ok, but that Agent's ship looks SO COOL. I didn't know about the story being one of the best though. I played the Smuggler last night (got to level 6 before I realized I was just screwing up way too much) and he's quite the rouge, especially with the females ... but that ship is SO COOL. Anyway I think I would prefer a rifle over pistols. I'm trying to play with my brother on a PVE server but he's playing a Light Class. Can we still adventure together if I play a Dark Class?

There's a difference in this game between Light/Dark and Republic/Empire. The former is influenced by your in-game decisions, and affects the way certain missions play out, a small, certain number of equipment options while leveling, and, if you choose Dark Side frequently, can give you a "corruption", a cosmetic thing that makes you look like a zombie (which can be disabled if you don't like it). You can absolutely team up with someone who makes different Light/Dark decisions than you; when given such choices while teamed with a partner, what will happen is basically decided by an in-game coin flip.

Republic/Empire is your faction chosen at character creation, which affects which classes and stories are available to you, as well as the appearance of most non-Cartel armors. It is entirely possible to play a "Light" Imperial or "Dark" Republic character (though the latter will spare no expense at constantly telling you what an ******* you are). Republic and Imperial characters cannot team with each other, however.

I have to admit, cover confused the crap out of me last night.

It's not too bad when you get used to it. Basically, as a Sniper, the majority of your attacks require it, however, you can hit the cover button at any time and just crouch down, which counts as "cover" as well. Using natural cover gives a nice boost to your defense, though. The biggest pain is being immobile and the fact that some enemies have abilities which will knock you out of cover and prevent you from re-entering it for a few seconds, leaving you acting kind of like a dolt.
---
#7LeBurns63(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 10:31:15 AM
Captain Panda posted...
It's not too bad when you get used to it. Basically, as a Sniper, the majority of your attacks require it, however, you can hit the cover button at any time and just crouch down, which counts as "cover" as well. Using natural cover gives a nice boost to your defense, though. The biggest pain is being immobile and the fact that some enemies have abilities which will knock you out of cover and prevent you from re-entering it for a few seconds, leaving you acting kind of like a dolt.

I did find that I could click my mouse's roller button and crouch. Hitting 'F' had me roll to cover. I wasn't until later that I started to notice that my available skills changed whether I was in cover or not.

Biggest pain really was when I was attacking someone, and then all the sudden some enemy's would spawn right behind me and start attacking. Trying to take out someone while someone else is blasting your back with a flame thrower is difficult. Can't count the number of times I died. Course it was then that I realized that dying really affected the armor I was wearing. For a long time I had no idea all my equipment was 0/100 condition. Dang it.
---
#8Captain PandaPosted 9/3/2013 10:53:53 AM
Burhenn63 posted...
I did find that I could click my mouse's roller button and crouch. Hitting 'F' had me roll to cover. I wasn't until later that I started to notice that my available skills changed whether I was in cover or not.

The way Cover works, if you're targeting an enemy and natural cover is available, you'll dive to it unless you use a specific crouching bind. But if you hit the Take Cover button before targeting a foe you'll just crouch. I use that so I only have to worry about one bind.

Also, the Cover Bar is enabled by default but you can turn the option off under Preferences (in the UI section, I think). For a while I used the changing bar on my Gunslinger but after I turned it off things actually got easier to play.

Biggest pain really was when I was attacking someone, and then all the sudden some enemy's would spawn right behind me and start attacking. Trying to take out someone while someone else is blasting your back with a flame thrower is difficult. Can't count the number of times I died.

Another little tip is that if enemies spawn on top of you, they're generally programmed to ignore you for a little while. If you notice it happening during a fight where they're thick, it helps to use that time to get the heck outta dodge.
---
#9Muljo StphoPosted 9/3/2013 3:35:17 PM
Also, the Cover Bar is enabled by default but you can turn the option off under Preferences (in the UI section, I think). For a while I used the changing bar on my Gunslinger but after I turned it off things actually got easier to play.

In what way?

I like using the cover bar. It's a whole extra bar to make use of for organizing your skills. As a subscriber I have access to the full (somewhat excessive) 6 bars anyway, yet I still find the cover bar to be a useful addition on top of that.

I like to put the melee moves and the short ranged / mobile ranged moves on the regular bar and then I put a lot of the stationary ranged moves and the ranged moves that require being in cover on the cover bar. And then I still do like I do with all my other characters where I have a lot of the special attacks and area attacks on quickbar 2, all of the defensive buff type moves on quickbar 3, some common out of combat stuff on quickbar 4, and miscellaneous nonsense on quickbars 5 and 6. (I set up my key bindings to have shift+# for skills on quickbar 2, alt+# for skills on quickbar 3, ctrl+# for skills on quickbar 4, and I leave quickbars 5 and 6 as click only.) So if I'm knocked out of cover or if I choose to get out of cover myself for some reason it doesn't really mess me up that much. I'm set up effectively for both in cover and out of cover situations.

The way Cover works, if you're targeting an enemy and natural cover is available, you'll dive to it unless you use a specific crouching bind. But if you hit the Take Cover button before targeting a foe you'll just crouch. I use that so I only have to worry about one bind.

Shift+f or shift+mouse3 will always crouch in place regardless of whether or not you have a target and an available cover point to roll to. Hitting f or mouse3 alone will function based on the situation.

I have no idea why the **** they make crouch available as a skill to put on your quickbar. I always dump it immediately when I start a Smuggler or Agent, and I just use mouse3 and shift+mouse3 for the whole game.
---
#10Captain PandaPosted 9/3/2013 4:19:30 PM
Muljo Stpho posted...
In what way?

I like using the cover bar. It's a whole extra bar to make use of for organizing your skills. As a subscriber I have access to the full (somewhat excessive) 6 bars anyway, yet I still find the cover bar to be a useful addition on top of that.

I definitely used more bars with my Gunslinger than any other character, but the Cover bar specifically just added a level of complexity that made things trickier, IMO. Basically, there was nothing I wanted off the Cover bar that couldn't also be useful on it, unless I specifically had abilities that I wanted to use while not in Cover. Plus there's the whole muscle memory, thing. If my finger naturally goes to "3" for Charged Burst, then swapping bars and ending up hitting Vital Shot (or vice-versa) isn't particularly efficient. It might be different for clickers, I dunno, but for me, almost anything I might use mid-combat, with the exception of medpacks and combat rezzes, gets a keybind.
---