Why the heck does Steam keep disconnecting my router?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  3. Why the heck does Steam keep disconnecting my router?
7 years ago#1
My internet is 100% fine until I boot my desktop and Steam loads. Then my entire internet connection through my router gets disconnected. It only happens when I load Steam up. This is frustrating me, because just when IWNet finally decides to connect me to a game after five minutes of waiting, I time out.

Did I miss the bus on Steam or something?
Krono/Kujata: 75SAM/75BLU
7 years ago#2
I am having a very similar issue to you.

I can log into Steam, then I open Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer, choose to find a game.

It finds a game just fine, the game starts. I can play for about 30 seconds, and then bang, I get UNPLAYABLE lag, my green bars go to NO bars, and when I even try to view a webpage on a different computer, I cannot. It is as if my connection to the internet is being supremely overloaded, or just plain stopped. It happens everytime. I cannot play this game online or this happens.

Does ANYONE else have this issue? Better yet, does anyone know a fix?

Also, if I could ask, where abouts do you live?
7 years ago#3

I have the exact same problem, i run a 7 pc lan behind a switch connected to a router and another pc and a printer.

So basically "Internet -> Router -> 1 PC / Printer / Switch -> 7 PC's"

No probs in other games etc, as soon as I launch Mod Warfare 2 and join a game after the odd 20/30 seconds my router disconnects or whatever it does cause I don't have any internet on my whole LAN untill I reset my router... ofc this makes the game unplayable online ...

7 years ago#4

Exact same problem i have. when i play any other steam game it runs fine but when i try to play modern warfare 2 it crashes. Infinity Ward really screwd us pc users over

7 years ago#5
Just to be clear, your entire internet connect goes down correct? Because mine has been doing that lately and I hadn't thought Steam may be the cause of it.
The original Modern Warfare 2 box art.
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/4787/73174062.jpg
7 years ago#6
Same problem :(
|S|O|N|I|C|_|B|O|O|M|: My Anti-Hadouken.
7 years ago#7
Yes. Problem fixed now. Apparently certain routers do not allow you to change the amount of requests a client can make... Steam apparently makes upwards of 40-50 UDP requests when it listens... so it times your router out by over-saturating the connection.

Since my cable company replaced my router today, it's worked flawlessly. If you're having lag issues, I highly recommend checking out your router (I have a netgear now, did have a linksys).
7 years ago#8
You guys need to try opening your ports that are associated with Steam

Also open the ports associated with Modern Warfare 2 if you can find them...

You can open ports by looking on your router and going to that web address. Login and find out how to open the ports.
I've beaten flagship game after flagship game on the Gamecube, and can safely say that I've actively played games more than on any other system in the past.
7 years ago#9

evilsanta23 posted...

Exact same problem i have. when i play any other steam game it runs fine but when i try to play modern warfare 2 it crashes. Infinity Ward really screwd us pc users over

It's a router issue , it has nothing to do with IW , happens to me when I want to list servers even in COD4 and WaW , the router gets saturated , just disconnect from the router annd play off the ADSL modem directly - problem solved

Or get another router

7 years ago#10
blah blah blah open up your ports

You must be an absolute moron to think that nobody in this topic has done this yet.
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  3. Why the heck does Steam keep disconnecting my router?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived