Thermal Glitch?

#1goaliedude3919Posted 2/22/2010 9:45:15 AM
I was sniping today with the Barrett with a Thermal Scope attached. I saw a guy come out in the open, just crouching there. I unloaded a whole clip on him and didn't get a hit marker. Then another guys shows up right next to him and I unload another clip on him. Still no hit marker. When I finally die and re-spawn, I find out that they were both on my team. Unfortunately for me, their names didn't come up above their heads. This happened a couple other times during the match. What happened?
---
"Have you ever had a killer itch on your doo doo hole and after scratching it you went to sniff your finger, but ended up hitting yourself in the mouth?
#2uber_ownage666Posted 2/22/2010 9:47:03 AM
sometimes their names don't show up

---
PSN uber-ownage666----------We who are about to die don't want to
#3SeahawkPridePosted 2/22/2010 9:47:57 AM
You don't see names when you're scoped with a thermal. Instead, you see a beating light thing, which could be a heartbeat. It's a flashing and dimming light.
---
I share the same birthday as the city of Pittsburgh...
#4goaliedude3919(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2010 10:12:50 AM

You don't see names when you're scoped with a thermal. Instead, you see a beating light thing, which could be a heartbeat. It's a flashing and dimming light.

But at some points I did see their names through the scope, which is why I'm confused.
---
"Have you ever had a killer itch on your doo doo hole and after scratching it you went to sniff your finger, but ended up hitting yourself in the mouth?
#5Eerie_SilencePosted 2/22/2010 10:43:44 AM
Look for the rapidly blinking black light on a body. That means it's a teammate.
---
Picture Kefka scampering about doing his happy little skip and BOING BOING with a sword of Monster Hunter proportions. -- Mort the met
#6Double991Posted 2/22/2010 10:47:10 AM
maybe it had something to do with cold blooded pro
---
PSN: Double991 || R2 & MW2 Clan: GFL-Gamers For Life.
"Why are they all dying? Because we're killing them"
#7lord_bluefungusPosted 2/22/2010 10:56:16 AM
I think the Thermal is glitchy anyway. Its not as accurate as the stock scope, Ive proven it with friends. Some times a dead center chest shot wont connect, but a shot that looked like it hit the arm or missed entirely will be an OSK.
---
PSN:Lord_BlueFungus
Leave the mushrooms, just walk away.
#8Throwed11Posted 2/22/2010 11:05:11 AM
Did you know if your teammates use CB PRO than they will not show up on the thermal either.. Just saying.. and oh yeah, look for the black light beating rapidly in the body.. This tells you that its your teammate.
---
Brawl 1 - 2965 - 4055 - 1941 ~ Z ~ - Brawl 2 - 4382 - 1635 - 6985 -Koopa
PSN: ChamilitaryKing
#9Mathman_PacmanPosted 2/22/2010 11:21:10 AM
stop using thermal
---
PSN :: WazzZAAAA__
#10josh_stixPosted 2/22/2010 11:26:00 AM
It's not a thermal glitch. It has something to do with the way the game renders textures.

For example; say you are crouched behind a chicken wire fence. You can see through the fence and see your teammates through the fence but because you are looking through an object your teammates names don't appear. The game gets confused thinking you can't see your teammate because there is a barrier in the way even though you can actually see/shoot through the barrier.

It's kinda hard to explain but I used to work for a gaming company and the graphics devs there said this was the problem. Got nothing to do with thermal. It happens in every COD because they re-use the same rendering software...