How do you know if someone is using a lag switch?

#1PrecerPosted 7/17/2010 11:18:08 AM
I mean... I seen a video of someone using it but how do you know if it is happening to you? Here is the video of someone using it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx8LLZjYPSU

If this happens to me I want to leave IMMEDIATELY.
---
the last time I played yo falcon I found out I had a little brother on the way. ~Narukuboy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fomKPsbGCHM
#2FriskPosted 7/17/2010 11:22:59 AM
I guess whoever is doing the killing/doing good while others dont. I'd leave right away too and file a complaint on the cheater.
---
Currently playing on xbox 360:Call of Duty:MW2, Assassins Creed 2, Bioshock 2
Left 4 Dead 2, Read Dead Redemption
#3MirnchanPosted 7/17/2010 11:24:49 AM
That was pretty funny but totally ruins the game.

And did anyone notice that other guy in the lobby?AnneFrankIsAJew
#4ilikepie12345Posted 7/17/2010 11:24:56 AM
Usually a lag switch is involved when the game starts being all laggy. This might sound obvious, but a good way to know a lag switch, not the host's connection, is used when you start teleporting everywhere.

If you stop teleporting and are still in the game, someone has a lag switch. If not, the game will end.

At least, that's what I go by.
---
I like pie.
MrCrumbly<3 twosocksofchaos<3333
#5the_coolPosted 7/17/2010 11:25:01 AM
Basically, everyone will suddenly have a terrible connection to the host. If you press back, everyone but the host will have one or two bars, even if their connections were fine up to that point.

It will become impossible for you to play well. Believe me, you'll know if you're being lagswitched.
---
"You are fighting for the moment against time."
#6Precer(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2010 11:25:41 AM
Or that could just be a bad host. I can't host because I don't have a good connection. When I do host I run around killing people and I don't figure out others are lagging until I get booted...
---
the last time I played yo falcon I found out I had a little brother on the way. ~Narukuboy
#7CStickPosted 7/17/2010 11:27:00 AM
best way to tell is to push select as the game is loading for you. If someone has a five-bar while everyone else has a one-bar, keep an eye on him.
---
I like you Cstick. You got balls. I like balls.~Chesterr01
Southern VA smasher
#8Ilikemyname420Posted 7/17/2010 11:37:05 AM

Precer posted...
Or that could just be a bad host. I can't host because I don't have a good connection. When I do host I run around killing people and I don't figure out others are lagging until I get booted...
---

^This

You basically can't tell 100% unless you saw him doing it in person. A terrible connection can look like exactly the same thing.

#9Lighthawk XPosted 7/17/2010 12:05:07 PM
best way to tell is to push select as the game is loading for you. If someone has a five-bar while everyone else has a one-bar, keep an eye on him.

This is just how you determine who the host is. Doesn't mean anything unless it stays that way during the game.

If you're running around and the game starts lagging out, followed by instant death, chances are you're getting lag switched. Especially if it happens repeatedly. This is just from my experience though, I'm not an expert on the matter.
---
Sorry. I didn't mean to blow your mind.
#10Sith JediPosted 7/17/2010 12:49:41 PM
I lag for real all the time and it's a little different when someone uses a lag switch so I can tell right away usually. And since I'm so used to playing with lag, I usually still win.

Normal lag: You'll usually run for a few seconds then you'll snap back to where you were. If you spin in circles, it'll go for a second, then your camera will get stuck for a split second and keep going.

Lag switch: You'll usually run in place for a few seconds then snap ahead about 30 feet. The spinning is pretty much the same as normal lag.
---
I toggle thermal because I prefer my targets to be black. -Lykos13th