UpDownSMACK's opinion on Type 0.

#1MagiusNecrosPosted 6/19/2012 5:16:39 PM(edited)
He has delegated his opinion to me and I shall make a discussion of it. There is bound to be SPOILERS in this topic.

1-The Story Blows. So, let's get this straight. This is a game that was supposed to, in a way, redefine Final Fantasy of current by bringing back some aspects of the past. A gritty war story, portraying the horrors of everyday strife. Even the cut-scenes themselves tend to get insanely graphic. This is the HARDCORE Final Fantasy, right? And what better way to portray a bleak, gritty war story than make the main characters....teenage supermodels with paper cutout personalities who attend a magic school! With the leader of their merry little band, naturally, being the Class President®©. Now, once more, this WOULDN'T be so bad...if their personalities weren't worse than even the cast of Persona 3. You can literally tell how they talk, and what they say for the duration of the entire game by only glancing at a few facial expressions. None of them have any depth to them whatsoever. And, call it a personal quirk, but I prefer my cutscenes to have stuff HAPPEN in them. The ratio of talking to *mobile expression* is practically 9 to 1. It's the Nomura school of cutscene: Bunch of people standing around talking for 5 minutes. Stuff happening for one minute. That's just my own gripe, but whatever.

2-The gameplay is pretty darned bad. So, you have a whole lot of characters. That's nice...but the abilities and setups they have from the beginning.....pretty much stay til the end. About the only thing with any sense of variety is the magic. Everything else is strictly rigid. And considering you only have four face buttons to work with, that's some insanely limiting character customization and combat options. Then we get into how absolutely uneven the game difficulty itself is. In an ideal world, slaughtering mooks should promptly prepare you for the big boss challenge up ahead. Certain mooks employ necessary wits, some speed, some pure damage, with the culmination of all three going into the boss. Nope. Not here. The enemies are stupid as hell and about as challenge-posing as mooks in Dynasty Warriors. And then you get to the boss fights. Most of the time, they're at least 10 levels higher than you, can easily two-shot your most beefed-up party member, and tend to have insane gimmick going for them, such as: Zipping around the field 99% of the time spamming machine guns, can only be damaged with a Critical Sight, or in some other cases, is just flat out cheap as dirt. If they aren't those...then they're scripted, like Celestia. And of course, my favorite part! Every now and then, when you're just running around, slaughtering hapless Storm Troopers...a freaking Level 99 summon comes out of nowhere, one-hit-KOs your entire party, then the game just goes "Ok, gate's open! Now you can run away!" Sorry, but **** that. I have more fun playing the original vanilla DMC3 in Dante Must Die mode.

*Wait*
---
Like Roleplaying? Join http://s1.zetaboards.com/Espada_of_Alexandria/index/
Official GILGAMESH/BARBATOS/MAGNUS of every Gamefaqs Board
#2MagiusNecros(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 5:14:45 PM
3-The general consensus, even by the diehard fans, that this game's scope is just meant for a console, and not a handheld. The controls themselves are stifling as hell. And the camera makes Kingdom Hearts's look ideal. Placing camera controls on the D-Pad also proves to be pretty damn annoying considering anything but left and right only obscures the view...and the analog nub is right below it. I'm not a big fan of shoulder camera controls like Birth by Sleep....but really. This is a game that needed such a thing. It would've been cake mapping character switches and reinforcements to the D-Pad, considering that that's the feature that you use less often of the two.

4-I didn't say this earlier, because it's from a fanboy perspective...ME!...but Gilgamesh. This game practically destroyed everything about Gilgamesh....WHILE PARADING THE "FACT" THAT IT'S *THE* GILGAMESH. The one hopping across the rift, from one Final Fantasy into the next. Except...THIS Gilgamesh lacks any sense of humor. Is practically unintelligible - might as well call him Hodor! Has none of Gilgamesh's trademark personality. It's...it's pretty much the same as what happened to Setzer in Kingdom Hearts II.

So yeah. There's my take on it. I told you it'd be long lol. Now, if I posted this argument on, I dunno, Gamefaqs, within five minutes, at least three of their idiots would call me a troll, and not even bother with any common human decency. I don't mind people starting debates over the things I say - I tend to welcome it. But those people are so quick to insult, and then defend without a defense, it feels like deep down inside, they agree with me, but for the life of them, will never ever admit it. Type-0 is the best! Type-0 rocks!
---
#3MagiusNecros(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 5:25:12 PM
MagiusNecros posted...

4-I didn't say this earlier, because it's from a fanboy perspective...ME!...but Gilgamesh. This game practically destroyed everything about Gilgamesh....WHILE PARADING THE "FACT" THAT IT'S *THE* GILGAMESH. The one hopping across the rift, from one Final Fantasy into the next. Except...THIS Gilgamesh lacks any sense of humor. Is practically unintelligible - might as well call him Hodor! Has none of Gilgamesh's trademark personality. It's...it's pretty much the same as what happened to Setzer in Kingdom Hearts II.

I must go over this first. GILGAMESH is FAR from RUINED. This is quite possibly GILGAMESH'S origin story. In Type 0 he is the KING of GENBU and the Leader of the Lorican Alliance. His home and everything dear to him was destroyed in a flash and due to him being L'cie coupled with a now unstable state of mind his manner of speaking is hard to make out. But he regains this by the end of the game itself. And is able to speak normally, and when fought as a superboss he harbors his usual goals of taking WEAPONS from his defeated foes and should you be defeated by him he claims your weapon and will laugh at you or say something in victory. He also taunts you during the battle and makes mention at the beginning about Orience.

So I think it is rather bold to claim that this ruins GILGAMESH when it clearly does not.

It also gives new insight on how he is able to traverse dimensions. Here it demonstrates his L'cie powers have given him his monstrous form and dimension hopping abilities.

And as the GILGAMESH FAN KING I CAREFULLY analyze anything regarding to GILGAMESH to perfect detail.

This point in GILGAMESH'S timeline is before he was silly. In this game he takes a more serious role.
---
#4MagiusNecros(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 5:29:32 PM
MagiusNecros posted...

1-The Story Blows. So, let's get this straight. This is a game that was supposed to, in a way, redefine Final Fantasy of current by bringing back some aspects of the past. A gritty war story, portraying the horrors of everyday strife. Even the cut-scenes themselves tend to get insanely graphic. This is the HARDCORE Final Fantasy, right? And what better way to portray a bleak, gritty war story than make the main characters....teenage supermodels with paper cutout personalities who attend a magic school! With the leader of their merry little band, naturally, being the Class President®©. Now, once more, this WOULDN'T be so bad...if their personalities weren't worse than even the cast of Persona 3. You can literally tell how they talk, and what they say for the duration of the entire game by only glancing at a few facial expressions. None of them have any depth to them whatsoever. And, call it a personal quirk, but I prefer my cutscenes to have stuff HAPPEN in them. The ratio of talking to *mobile expression* is practically 9 to 1. It's the Nomura school of cutscene: Bunch of people standing around talking for 5 minutes. Stuff happening for one minute. That's just my own gripe, but whatever.

True this is a war story, but saying a story is garbage based on what a character looks like is idiotic. Each of the main characters represents a certain power. Ace is the power of Trust as an example.

You act if every cutscene is just people talking. There is much more then talking and there is also political aspects in this game as well.

The only thing you've said is basically "I hate the character design, characters seem to give off a certain personality and hearing them talk makes me bored".
---
#5MagiusNecros(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 5:34:11 PM
MagiusNecros posted...

2-The gameplay is pretty darned bad. So, you have a whole lot of characters. That's nice...but the abilities and setups they have from the beginning.....pretty much stay til the end. About the only thing with any sense of variety is the magic. Everything else is strictly rigid. And considering you only have four face buttons to work with, that's some insanely limiting character customization and combat options. Then we get into how absolutely uneven the game difficulty itself is. In an ideal world, slaughtering mooks should promptly prepare you for the big boss challenge up ahead. Certain mooks employ necessary wits, some speed, some pure damage, with the culmination of all three going into the boss. Nope. Not here. The enemies are stupid as hell and about as challenge-posing as mooks in Dynasty Warriors. And then you get to the boss fights. Most of the time, they're at least 10 levels higher than you, can easily two-shot your most beefed-up party member, and tend to have insane gimmick going for them, such as: Zipping around the field 99% of the time spamming machine guns, can only be damaged with a Critical Sight, or in some other cases, is just flat out cheap as dirt. If they aren't those...then they're scripted, like Celestia. And of course, my favorite part! Every now and then, when you're just running around, slaughtering hapless Storm Troopers...a freaking Level 99 summon comes out of nowhere, one-hit-KOs your entire party, then the game just goes "Ok, gate's open! Now you can run away!" Sorry, but **** that. I have more fun playing the original vanilla DMC3 in Dante Must Die mode.

I agree that some bosses were basically there for show since some of them you couldn't die against.(But when you get stronger you can kick their ass) But this battle system was a step towards Action RPG's and was a testing ground. And for a PSP game it does well, and because it's a PSP game, control options are very limited.

You may say customization is limited but some customization is there. XIII/XIII-2 is very bare bones in that regard.

Granted this isn't FF Tactics level.

And yes I can agree with the reliance on Kill Sights and Break Sights. Bosses shouldn't have those.
---
#6MagiusNecros(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 5:38:41 PM
MagiusNecros posted...
3-The general consensus, even by the diehard fans, that this game's scope is just meant for a console, and not a handheld. The controls themselves are stifling as hell. And the camera makes Kingdom Hearts's look ideal. Placing camera controls on the D-Pad also proves to be pretty damn annoying considering anything but left and right only obscures the view...and the analog nub is right below it. I'm not a big fan of shoulder camera controls like Birth by Sleep....but really. This is a game that needed such a thing. It would've been cake mapping character switches and reinforcements to the D-Pad, considering that that's the feature that you use less often of the two.

The camera needs work I agree. However the controls are FAR from stifling. In fact I can use them ridiculously easy. I've played Monster Hunter(which I hate as a product in itself), Lord of Arcana/Apocalypse and God Eater. So I have little problem. Maybe the issue is you can't adapt to a control style.

As for mapping those 2 things you mentioned to the D-pad. They did. You Hold either L or R along with the Dpad for character switching and if a member dies you can bring in another one. The only flaw being the inability to swap out a current party member for one in your reserves.
---
#7Iampony1Posted 6/19/2012 6:42:06 PM
worse than the characters of Persona 3?
so he hates human beings?
where did you talk with him? he is usually more damn hostile in the KH boards
---
Any product from Motoumo Toriyama to his fans was made out of greed with lack of passion.
The dude wrote for Mindjack for gods sake!!!
#8MagiusNecros(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 7:37:06 PM
Iampony1 posted...
worse than the characters of Persona 3?
so he hates human beings?
where did you talk with him? he is usually more damn hostile in the KH boards

Apparently he goes by the name of John Casey on Andriasang andnhe posted this n an argument about Type 0 when it was brought up about the new Tech Demo.
---
#9PirateMoePosted 6/19/2012 7:46:02 PM
Who?
#10MagiusNecros(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 7:53:28 PM
PirateMoe posted...
Who?

A persistent hater of this game.
---