Am I the only one who find this game... bad?

#1RontequePosted 6/19/2014 4:37:44 PM(edited)
1) Story starts off in a big mess without a proper introduction to the world, characters and build-up to the war.

2) Introduction to the main characters are sudden, weak and lacking any substance. They simply feel insignificant as main characters.

3) You have FOURTEEN characters that you need to level simultaneously and keep track of, some of which, you don't even care about or know who they are. You need to go back to base in order to switch character to train the other eleven characters you have in reserve.

4) Camera angle is bad in closed corridor combat. Higher difficulty means enemy will simply kill you in 1 or 2 hits.
---
3DS Friend Code: 1220 - 7260 - 6630
#2pyro_buntaPosted 6/19/2014 4:41:55 PM
1) Watch the intro movies. It's not that hard to understand.

2) Story isn't character driven. It's more about the Type-0 world more than anything.

3) You don't have to train everyone. Have 6 at most and you're set for the whole game. The game doesn't have any forced parties. You can switch characters on any save point or before a mission.

4) I'll give you that about the camera, but it's still manageable if you're good.
---
"My son's a big fan of yours. Well, me too..."
#3ZeoPamasterPosted 6/19/2014 4:53:14 PM(edited)
pyro_bunta posted...
Story isn't character driven. It's more about the Type-0 world more than anything.

this. it explains in the eyes of Orience's history, not the main characters'. other nation's situation, the victims of wars, etc. and it truly is immersing, I must admit.

Ronteque posted...
3) You have FOURTEEN characters that you need to level simultaneously and keep track of, some of which, you don't even care about or know who they are. You need to go back to base in order to switch character to train the other eleven characters you have in reserve.

1. you don't need to level them ALL.
2. the only things you need to know about class 0 are, they were orphans in the beginning, and their personalities are already explained in the crystarium. and that they're basically professionals on the job and don't let emotions take over.
3. you don't even need to go back to base to change. just drop by a town, access the crystal thing, change and go back to world map. the fact that these things are always near the entrance really shortens time.

but alas, each to his own, I guess. if you don't find this enjoyable and you don't agree with the reasons above, then we probably just have different tastes.
---
I used my iphone as a controller before.It works but one it ain't pretty and two,wtf I DID THIS TO FEEL BUTTONS NOT FLAT CHESTED PHONE.-Mecha
#4azureflame89Posted 6/19/2014 4:55:16 PM
1. Did you watch the 2 cutscenes that appear before the main menu before starting the game? Cause they explain the basics as to why the war is happening.

2. They were supossed to be the "Phantom Class" so not much is known about Class 0. But I will grant you that their personalities aren't that interesting, apart from being extremely clichéd.

3. Fourteen characters that play very differently so if you use them, almost all of them grow on you. Grinding is required in most JRPG's so no use complaining about that. You can always pick a few favourites and stick with them.

4. Camera is bad in most SE action games. You learn how to deal with it. If you are having problems, well, you can always level up.

Honestly, this game is far from being bad. And it doesn't hurt that it pays homage to the pre PS2 FF games. If anything SE should aim to make more FF games similar to Type-0.
#5draxenzPosted 6/19/2014 4:59:25 PM
I like it. It's a good game, but it's not as good as 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, or 12 imo. Probably worse than 13 and maybe 13-2 as well (haven't played 13-3). It's still really a lot of fun though. I prefer the stronger emphasis on story, character development, and customization of the other games (I'm not a fan of only having 3 abilities/magic to use at a time),

The game would have been better if it was structured like a more traditional FF. I'd prefer if the towns were actually towns, instead of hubs. I really don't like the whole "Free Time" thing. This is all my personal opinion of course. I'm sure many will disagree. I still love the game, and will always support the franchise. It just doesn't compare to the traditional games for me.

If anyone reads this, please don't be dissuaded from playing the game. It really is an awesome game. I just hold Final Fantasy to a very high standard.
#6ZeoPamasterPosted 6/19/2014 5:06:25 PM
draxenz posted...
I'd prefer if the towns were actually towns, instead of hubs

I don't get this part here. towns are basically people to talk to, shops to go to and sidequests to do. what part of that did the type-0 towns NOT accomplish? o_o

the only thing I find slightly disappointing in the game is the magic variety. CC has this whole arsenal of magics available to fuse. graviga, triple firaga, quake...
---
I used my iphone as a controller before.It works but one it ain't pretty and two,wtf I DID THIS TO FEEL BUTTONS NOT FLAT CHESTED PHONE.-Mecha
#7coacharcherPosted 6/19/2014 5:12:12 PM
I love this game so far! The only things I have any issue with are that it can get repetitive like Crisis Core and of course the camera! Camera's usually always fall short though. Don't worry about leveling all the characters. It really requires you to at least make one additional play through, so just pick a few to play with the first time and then switch it up the second time! The other characters will level up through classes, so when you start a second pass they won't be at a terrible disadvantage.
#8Ronteque(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2014 5:15:05 PM
draxenz posted...
I like it. It's a good game, but it's not as good as 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, or 12 imo. Probably worse than 13 and maybe 13-2 as well (haven't played 13-3). It's still really a lot of fun though. I prefer the stronger emphasis on story, character development, and customization of the other games (I'm not a fan of only having 3 abilities/magic to use at a time),

The game would have been better if it was structured like a more traditional FF. I'd prefer if the towns were actually towns, instead of hubs. I really don't like the whole "Free Time" thing. This is all my personal opinion of course. I'm sure many will disagree. I still love the game, and will always support the franchise. It just doesn't compare to the traditional games for me.

If anyone reads this, please don't be dissuaded from playing the game. It really is an awesome game. I just hold Final Fantasy to a very high standard.

Exactly, I played Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and I love them all. Type-0 just doesn't feel like Final Fantasy at all aside from the Eidolons. I guess I just have different taste for games now.

Oh I really enjoyed Crisis Core btw. They have similar combat mechanics but CC focus more on character and story. Some other games I really enjoy are Monster Hunter and Dark Souls. Yet somehow, I just can't get into Type-0.
---
3DS Friend Code: 1220 - 7260 - 6630
#9OpheliaAdenadePosted 6/19/2014 5:30:01 PM
Ronteque posted...
draxenz posted...

Exactly, I played Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and I love them all. Type-0 just doesn't feel like Final Fantasy at all aside from the Eidolons. I guess I just have different taste for games now.

Oh I really enjoyed Crisis Core btw. They have similar combat mechanics but CC focus more on character and story. Some other games I really enjoy are Monster Hunter and Dark Souls. Yet somehow, I just can't get into Type-0.

I don't get how anyone could think this game doesn't have a focus on story. There is a huge amount of story and world building going on in Type-0. Just because the characters aren't the focus doesn't mean that stuff isn't going on.

I disagree with you both on all accounts basically (and seriously, lacking in customization? This game is full of it! You have 14 characters to choose from with skills you can change to suit you.). I think this game is just as good as the playstation games. I'd put it up there with FF VII even. Perhaps I'm just personally quite taken with it, but I've enjoyed it far more than I did any of the XIII games, and I didn't even hate them like some people did. It just feels more like traditional final fantasy to me.

I'm thinking you might not have given the game an honest chance. How far are you? :u
---
They say she's low down, but it's just a rumor I don't believe 'em.
#10DullahanEXPosted 6/19/2014 5:31:41 PM(edited)
@TC if you don't like then stop playing that is anyone can tell. it feels pretty FF to me only more action oriented. frankly it isn't different than say FFXII only without a visible ATB and movement that actually matters.

draxenz posted...
and customization of the other games (I'm not a fan of only having 3 abilities/magic to use at a time).

That has nothing to with customization. This game has just as much if more than FFVI and IX where you were limited to altering either magic or relics with everything else being pre-set. Furthermore half the characters didn't even have sub menus for their skills so they only display <fight> <special> <magic> and <items> (i.e Locke, Celes Rem etc).
---
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Type-0