First impressions....

#11Miku_369Posted 3/19/2013 12:18:07 PM
Don't forget the "official" art.
---
"Official supporter of ShizukoxIzaya since 3-8-2013"
http://tinyurl.com/ardvtxp http://tinyurl.com/agzjjrq http://tinyurl.com/bxqqylz
#12lukus_80Posted 3/19/2013 5:15:02 PM
SSj7CloudS posted...
Yeah, you're right. Between the attire change and the shower scene, I really don't get why people say this, that T3B is the line where she's been sexualized. PE2 easily crossed that a long time ago an it's not like they made any attempt to not show her off in PE1 in cutscenes either.

I believe that Aya wasn't really sexualised in Parasite Eve 2. I say this because, admittedly you get a peak at her in the shower, but that shower scene in PE2 makes sense in context.

She makes comments about getting dirty in the dust and how she starts to get tired at some points while interacting with things. Aya later proceeds to the motel room and hops in the shower to clean off before getting a bit of rest, when her shower gets interrupted by one of the game's bosses. Even then, you only see a bit of leg and collar/shoulders in terms of naked body.

In The 3rd Birthday however, it's complete gratuitous fan service. There is no need what-so-ever for that shower scene, even in terms of in-game context. This scene is much longer than in PE2 and you see most of her body, even if it is behind a shower screen. There's also a bit of side-boob too.

When looking at the costume change from the Jeans/T-shirt combo to the one-piece in PE2, it was nice to see a fresh look for Aya. To me there was no sexualisation with this costume. Granted, it might be debatable why they chose that particular look, but I think it worked nicely. She shows most of her legs, again which could be debatable to some (I don't see why), but nothing obvious springs to mind.

It's in The 3rd Birthday again where the appearance is gratuitous. Showing battle-damaged clothing that reveals a bit of underwear screams kinky fan service at me, especially with some of strange collection of costumes, like the maid costume or office suit. This battle-wear imagery also made it on to some of the promo materials too.

There may have been a small amount of sexualisation in Parasite Eve 2, granted, but it's The 3rd Birthday that crosses that line totally. The mentality for PE2 and 3rd Birthday are different, which is why I believe sexualisation differs between the two games. PE2 lets you have a cheeky peak at the heroine where 3rd Birthday feels like the "lol boobs" mentality.
#13SSj7CloudSPosted 3/20/2013 10:38:18 AM(edited)
Right, it was never over the top or way past the line in the other titles, just that it was there. That's all I meant by saying the other games (Or at least PE2) did do this in some regard so it shouldn't be a surprise it happened in this game. However yes, I agree an you're right in that it's pretty clear this game easily tops the other two and crosses the line so far it's not even visible anymore in how much they overly sexualize her, no denying that one.
---
Playing: Shining Force EXA, The Last Story, Metal Gear Rising
PSN: jext77
#14lukus_80Posted 3/20/2013 4:09:02 PM
SSj7CloudS posted...
Right, it was never over the top or way past the line in the other titles, just that it was there. That's all I meant by saying the other games (Or at least PE2) did do this in some regard so it shouldn't be a surprise it happened in this game. However yes, I agree an you're right in that it's pretty clear this game easily tops the other two and crosses the line so far it's not even visible anymore in how much they overly sexualize her, no denying that one.

Hah, it seemed to me like you were trying to make it sound like the games were comparable in the extent each of them took it. A little different understanding on my part. But yeah, it seems like there's an amount of sexualisation to any extent with Aya. The first appearance she makes is in a nice black dress showing her leg. I just wish Square Enix wasn't so disconnected from their audience to do this to Aya in The 3rd Birthday.
#15Miku_369Posted 3/20/2013 4:19:22 PM
tbh I'm not really surprised at the fanservice in this game; not that I was expecting it but when you compare it to fanservice in other recent games.
---
"Official supporter of ShizukoxIzaya since 3-8-2013"
http://i.imgur.com/3cQBhOd.png http://i.imgur.com/NjMLTjR.jpg http://i.imgur.com/STA7YUG.jpg
#16SSj7CloudSPosted 3/20/2013 4:26:25 PM
lukus_80 posted...
SSj7CloudS posted...

Hah, it seemed to me like you were trying to make it sound like the games were comparable in the extent each of them took it. A little different understanding on my part. But yeah, it seems like there's an amount of sexualisation to any extent with Aya. The first appearance she makes is in a nice black dress showing her leg. I just wish Square Enix wasn't so disconnected from their audience to do this to Aya in The 3rd Birthday.

Sorry about that, it was likely poor wording on my part so my mistake there. That was all I meant though was that the others had it, I should have added 'though not nearly to the degree T3B does'

I still wish we got the older outfits as costumes in this game, it's quite sad one of the only costumes I like in this game is one of the two default ones, the white one.
---
#17lukus_80Posted 3/20/2013 9:37:47 PM
SSj7CloudS posted...
I still wish we got the older outfits as costumes in this game, it's quite sad one of the only costumes I like in this game is one of the two default ones, the white one.

Yeah, given the number of unlockable costumes, it is surprising how none of them are from the older games, and one that is even similar in style/theme, the Chinese Dress, it could have easily been Aya's dress from the first Parasite Eve.

It would have even been nice to get Kyle's PE2 costume as an unlockable for him, and Eve's PE2 suit for her during cutscenes. That would have been quite novel. Hah, thinking about it, another novelty would be an alternate form for Aya's Liberation mode - Mitochondria Eve (Is that the right name? The 'antagonist' Aya chases throughout the game) from PE1. A little hard to do, but still a slightly meaningful novelty.
#18SSj7CloudSPosted 3/21/2013 1:34:35 AM
lukus_80 posted...
SSj7CloudS posted...

Yeah, given the number of unlockable costumes, it is surprising how none of them are from the older games, and one that is even similar in style/theme, the Chinese Dress, it could have easily been Aya's dress from the first Parasite Eve.

It would have even been nice to get Kyle's PE2 costume as an unlockable for him, and Eve's PE2 suit for her during cutscenes. That would have been quite novel. Hah, thinking about it, another novelty would be an alternate form for Aya's Liberation mode - Mitochondria Eve (Is that the right name? The 'antagonist' Aya chases throughout the game) from PE1. A little hard to do, but still a slightly meaningful novelty.

Agreed, and that bothers me, the PE fans would have really appreciated seeing the older attires like the opera dress and cop uniform, Melissa/Eve's red dress from PE1, her uniform and desert attire from PE2. I wanted the wedding dress from this game too. Impractical? Sure, but then so are half the other costumes so why not, go nuts and give ones that actually look good. Even like you said seeing Kyle in his old gear would have been a nice call back on a NG+ with the ability to mess with costumes.

While I liked the idea of getting to use Liberation in this game, if I could have given that a change I'd have gone with her running around super fast and hitting ridiculously hard looking like her Liberate form from PE1. This thing: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100701190140/parasiteeve/images/9/9e/Pe-aya10.jpg

Good heavens that'd have been amazing.
---
#19lukus_80Posted 3/21/2013 11:10:47 AM
SSj7CloudS posted...
While I liked the idea of getting to use Liberation in this game, if I could have given that a change I'd have gone with her running around super fast and hitting ridiculously hard looking like her Liberate form from PE1. This thing: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100701190140/parasiteeve/images/9/9e/Pe-aya10.jpg

Agreed! The first impression I got from the fact you use liberation, was maybe that it'd release all limits on Aya's capabilities, like in PE1 as you mention. So, I go to use Liberation thinking it'll be pretty cool, to find out that she just glows quite a bit and doesn't drop the handguns for dashing in with highly powerful melée attack combos like she used to. It's like they wanted to keep the focus on the guns too much.

Yeah, the wedding dress you see within important cutscenes, is only used for those cutscenes, even though you can tell they're just recorded in-game sequences. It shows they did go through the effort to model the 'wedding dress Aya', only to find its inclusion in the unlockables forgotten. That was disappointing.
#20SSj7CloudSPosted 3/21/2013 11:31:36 AM
lukus_80 posted...
SSj7CloudS posted...

Agreed! The first impression I got from the fact you use liberation, was maybe that it'd release all limits on Aya's capabilities, like in PE1 as you mention. So, I go to use Liberation thinking it'll be pretty cool, to find out that she just glows quite a bit and doesn't drop the handguns for dashing in with highly powerful melée attack combos like she used to. It's like they wanted to keep the focus on the guns too much.

Yeah, the wedding dress you see within important cutscenes, is only used for those cutscenes, even though you can tell they're just recorded in-game sequences. It shows they did go through the effort to model the 'wedding dress Aya', only to find its inclusion in the unlockables forgotten. That was disappointing.

That's what I thought an it disappointed me. Ever since getting to see the Liberate form I always wanted to be able to control that and dash around attacking doing crazy amounts of damage like in PE1, and all we get is the glowy aura around her? This could have been made so much better than just keeping the guns and firing energy bursts out of them that you have to be standing still for. Feels more like my guns went into Liberation mode, not Aya and considering guns are what fills the bar in the first place... It just bothers me, I find that to be a much worse tradeoff to what could have been a much better show and call back to PE.

I agree, it was disappointing not to get it as an unlockable. It's kinda sad too as besides her White Eider costume her wedding dress was the only other one I would have really liked to see her in. The rest were just okay or ones I didn't care for, I would have preferred the old throwback costumes so much more.
---