Episode 4, Chapter 1, Feat: "Tank team survivors unharmed"

#1Moeman_Posted 4/14/2013 8:47:40 PM
Hello, everyone.

So I've been screaming obscenities at my Vita for the past hour, trying to successfully defeat the Worms. However, it's not going well at all. So far, all I've managed to do is hurt my thumb and get pissed that the tanks move too slowly to take care of the Big Worm's fireballs and Spawn Worms' birth-shots.

From the tank Aya dives into (Catapult 24), I shoot a missile at the first Spawn to incapacitate it. Then, I dive into the adjacent tank (Catapult 22), and shoot a missile at that Spawn.

From here, I keep diving between 24 and 22, shooting a missile at the two Spawns. If a missile isn't loaded yet, I use gunfire until one is.

That usually works out fine. However, when I get to the Big Worm, problems arise. The tanks both aren't fast enough, as I said before, to take care of the fireballs and "birth-shots," or the blue sticky spheres that bring more Spawn Worms.

My question is, does anyone have any ideas on how to effectively achieve this Feat? I can't seem to do it, no matter how hard I try. It requires the three tanks to not even take one point of damage, and it just seems simply impossible.

tl;dr Can't get the second feat in EP4 CH1, help!

Thank you very much, and have a nice day. :)
---
"Be confident, think positive!"
#2eixeeeePosted 4/14/2013 9:31:52 PM
http://youtube.com/#/watch?v=tZOGAlSSwZA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtZOGAlSSwZA

I'm assuming this is for Insane. This one had me annoyed for a while too, but it's definitely not impossible.

The way I think I got used to it was when the big Worm was facing a certain direction, you aim at a specific spot and it nails most of the fireballs 90% of the time, but its kinda hard to describe since I haven't played for so long...

Firing in bursts is best when it starts doing that, as it likes to curveball you and send Worm-balls out in different directions. (Sometimes straight down.)
---
Currently Playing: SSX DD // Looking forward to: FFX & X-2 HD, BD:FF
(27/10/11: Eix ~ MysteryVeil)
#3Moeman_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 10:38:51 PM(edited)
This is for Normal, actually; I know, pathetic! But I think this info still might help me. Thank you eixeeee.

Still open to all and any ideas and help.

EDIT: Also, I had no idea Ascending undid Feats. Here I thought you were okay to abort a mission and it'd save all previously gained Feats.

Oy. Oh well. I'll get "Swiftly breach tower" some other time.

EDIT 2: I managed to do it, somehow. I'll detail my strategy while I still have the chance.

I got Aya to level 30, firstly, if it helps. I don't think it makes a difference, but it may or may not impact the strength of the tank. I'm leaning toward no, but if you don't get the same results I did, look into your levels.

I shot a missile at the little Worm from Catapult 24 like normal, and dived into 22 afterword to incapacitate the Worm on that side.

Afterwords, I dived back to 24 and shot three missiles at the Worm on that side, which killed it. I dived into 22 again to finish slaying the Worm over there.

After that came making the Big Worm go where I wanted it. It may be coincidence, but I find if you fire from the flanking tanks (24 and 22) while it's still deciding which of them to attack, it'll face the middle of them to start shooting fireballs and birth-balls.

Once it decides, you pretty much just gotta look for the sweet spot on its mouth, like eixeeee said, and destroy the fireballs coming at you.

Don't fret if it shoots a birth-ball off to the side; just keep switching between gunfire and missiles until it stops attacking. Then, feel free to take care of the little Worm(s) by the same method as before: incapacitating them with missiles, then three or four more should take them out, maybe less.

Then, focus on the Big Worm again, with the same method as before.

If anyone gets hit, try getting the "Swiftly breach tower" feat and retry; do not Ascend, as that will wipe out your Feat record.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help! :)
---
#4SSj7CloudSPosted 4/14/2013 10:48:32 PM(edited)
Sounds like you got the advice you needed, but yeah this one is really misleading. By unharmed it means the tanks can't take a single point of damage or you lose the feat right away. Needless to say it makes that feat such a pain on Deadly and Insane later when they attack faster. You are right though, your level does not affect the damage your tank does with either missiles or the guns, nor does it give you any more HP to work with.
---
Playing: Red Steel 2, Hyperbakersdozen Neptunia: mk2many. PSN: Jext77 feel free to add me.
http://bit.ly/NepgearRising
#5kyushudanjiPosted 4/15/2013 3:02:06 AM
I shot a missile at the little Worm from Catapult 24 like normal, and dived into 22 afterword to incapacitate the Worm on that side.

Afterwords, I dived back to 24 and shot three missiles at the Worm on that side, which killed it. I dived into 22 again to finish slaying the Worm over there.

When you first fired a round, did you hit both of the Runts? If you can do that, you will save yourself some frustration on Deadly and Insane.

You will need to be more precise once you are on the last modes. When the Episode first begins, you lose time (i.e., precious targeting time) due to the initial introduction (Aya's accessing the situation while Maeda narrates, then she dives). I usually retry the level, which places Aya immediately in Catapult 24. If you aim carefully, you can hit both of the Runts. I had to make a slight adjustment with Catapult 24's turret on Insane using that method.

Once I fired the round and before the hit could register, I dived to Catapult 22, and aimed at the Runts and fired. I quickly dived-fired-dived until the Runts were gone, then proceeded to the Worm. If timed properly, you will not have to wait for the tanks to reload.

After that came making the Big Worm go where I wanted it. It may be coincidence, but I find if you fire from the flanking tanks (24 and 22) while it's still deciding which of them to attack, it'll face the middle of them to start shooting fireballs and birth-balls.

It is no coincidence, I think. You can influence the direction the Worm fires its projectiles. But, you have to pay attention to the amount of damage you inflict. Once it receives a set amount of damage, it becomes a fireball frenzy. You would want it to face a direction where it will be easy to destroy the fireballs AND inflict damage.

Keep us posted.
#6Moeman_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 3:25:01 AM
I had no idea you could stun both Runts at once. And yeah, I figured out the retry trick pretty quickly, in the midst of my frustration. It really helped!

I'm only on Normal, like I said, though for completion's sake, at the end of the game, I plan on doing some case training on Easy to get the feats there. Wait, there's no way of doing case training after you finish Episode 5, right? Damn, that means I'd have to start a whole new playthrough just to get the feats from there. Oh well. Maybe I won't do case training after all.

Wait, are completed feats carried over to EX Game? I'm not entirely sure on that.
---
#7SSj7CloudSPosted 4/15/2013 3:43:53 AM
51793Moeman posted...
I had no idea you could stun both Runts at once. And yeah, I figured out the retry trick pretty quickly, in the midst of my frustration. It really helped!

I'm only on Normal, like I said, though for completion's sake, at the end of the game, I plan on doing some case training on Easy to get the feats there. Wait, there's no way of doing case training after you finish Episode 5, right? Damn, that means I'd have to start a whole new playthrough just to get the feats from there. Oh well. Maybe I won't do case training after all.

Wait, are completed feats carried over to EX Game? I'm not entirely sure on that.

Yes, everything carries over. With Case Training you can even replay stages on any difficulty of your choosing, though you can't pick a higher mode than the one you're on currently.
---
Playing: Link to the Past, Wind Waker, Harvest Moon, Hyperbakersdozen Neptunia: mk2many. PSN: Jext77 feel free to add me.
http://bit.ly/NepgearRising
#8kyushudanjiPosted 4/15/2013 3:10:05 PM

No worries. Once you are on Insane, it will take two or three shots to stun them.

BTW, how does T3B play on the Vita? Any slowdown or frame rate issues? Better loading times?
#9Moeman_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2013 1:20:35 AM(edited)
SSj7CloudS posted...
Yes, everything carries over. With Case Training you can even replay stages on any difficulty of your choosing, though you can't pick a higher mode than the one you're on currently.

Awesome! I'll have tons of fun doing Case Training, then. :)

kyushudanji posted...
BTW, how does T3B play on the Vita? Any slowdown or frame rate issues? Better loading times?

It plays beautifully. I think I outlined it in another topic... Lemme grab that and I'll quote it.

51793Moeman posted...
In response to the actual topic at hand, The 3rd Birthday plays like a dream on the Vita. You just need to enable bilinear filtering, maybe color space, and assign the D-Pad to be also usable with the right stick, and you've got yourself a fun time there, sir.

The video quality is about the same on PSP with bilinear on. The game speed is the same as on PSP, but the save / load menus are a bit faster. Load times are virtually nonexistent, just from a half a second to two seconds, but it was the same on its home handheld as well. I haven't noticed any graphical glitches. I use headphones, so I can't speak of the music quality through PSP speakers compared to PS Vita speakers.

The only place that should take "two seconds" to load is the screen after the game is loading your save data, and like I said, it's probably the same as on PSP.

By "save / load menus" I meant the ones that use the PSP's internal GUI.

Also, assigning the D-Pad to the right stick not only means the changing camera angles is a viable option while moving, but you can move and change weapons at the same time too. It's really handy.
---
#10Moeman_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 1:41:17 PM
I just wanted to say that you can do case training between Episodes 5 and 6; you get taken to the menu that allows you to get your armor repaired, install OE chips, do case training, etc. after the fight with the last boss of Episode 5. I was mistaken, and don't want anyone reading this topic in the future to go in to Episode 5 thinking they're screwed if they mess up, hence this post.
---