Reviews are pretty scathing. Is this a mindless button masher, truly?

#1lonlonmilkloverPosted 4/18/2013 11:50:22 AM
Harsh reviews. I have played through most of PE1 and am enjoying it quite a bit. I have PE2 still shrinkwrapped and wanted to see if this third entry in the series is equally enjoyable.

I just wanted to be sure it's not as average as the reviews let on :/ ?
---
www.backloggery.com/lonlonmilklover
#2kyushudanjiPosted 4/18/2013 10:20:08 PM
Gameplay and music are the high points of the game. You will not get too far with button mashing.

The story...well, it works for me, but I understand why the majority of people dislike it. I think if you play without high expectations for the story, you will be fine. Just remember it is The 3rd Birthday, not PE3.
#3lonlonmilklover(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 10:44:31 PM
As long as it's nothing like FFXIII I'm sure I'll like it :)
---
www.backloggery.com/lonlonmilklover
#4SSj7CloudSPosted 4/18/2013 11:22:15 PM
Oh no, it's nothing like FFXIII that's for sure. If you aren't using barriers and dodging effectively you will get chewed alive out there in quite a number of battles.
---
Playing: Link to the Past, Wind Waker, Harvest Moon (SNES), Hyperbakersdozen Neptunia: mk2many. PSN: Jext77 feel free to add me.
http://bit.ly/NepgearRising
#5kyushudanjiPosted 4/19/2013 12:53:30 AM
To add to what SSj7CloudS posted, Normal is a low-level version of Hard when you first begin. This is one game where there is no shame if you start on Easy. Also, if you begin on Easy, you will have the opportunity to become familiar with the controls, weapons, and enemy patterns while enjoying gameplay.
#6SSj7CloudSPosted 4/19/2013 1:27:30 AM
^ Pretty much. Just start on Easy or Normal, don't pick Hard. It saps all the fun out of the game and you have to do far too much grinding to make up what you would otherwise get on a much smoother Normal difficulty playthrough.
---
Playing: Link to the Past, Wind Waker, Harvest Moon (SNES), Hyperbakersdozen Neptunia: mk2many. PSN: Jext77 feel free to add me.
http://bit.ly/NepgearRising
#7MoonlightJustPosted 5/2/2013 3:07:53 PM
lonlonmilklover posted...
Harsh reviews. I have played through most of PE1 and am enjoying it quite a bit. I have PE2 still shrinkwrapped and wanted to see if this third entry in the series is equally enjoyable.

I just wanted to be sure it's not as average as the reviews let on :/ ?

No, it isn't anywhere near as enjoyable as the first two games in the series. More of an action focus ((Not that that is a bad thing, the base system itself is solid)) less of an RPG system, no on-use powers to speak of, less character interaction ((No, really.)) and the worst story I've had the misfortune to read since Twilight.

That being said, the gameplay itself is sort of enjoyable and the body swapping mechanic is interesting at least. If you can get it for under ten then it's worth it.
#8daronin_basicPosted 5/3/2013 12:17:14 PM
The game itself is fun.

The story itself, has a "who the eff wrote this garbage" element to it. It starts out well, but because all missions tie themselves so close to the story, throughout the game it implodes and breaks apart and a steadily increasing ratio. By the end of it, I was arching my eyebrow and asking "seriously?" from the BIG revealing exposition scene. a story works by establishing a mystery and having it make sense in the end, this story works in reverse where the story makes the most sense in the beginning, and by the end trying to understand ANYTHING will just make your head explode.

It is undoubtibly the worst story square ever released. "All your bases belong to us" and "someone set us up the bomb" read like tennyson in comparison.

It would have been tolerable if the game had just focused on the gameplay instead of making missions all story based. I tried replaying but the awful story wouldn't shut up and let me enjoy the game that was too closely tied to it. I eventually sold it and deleted my save file
#9Ji_LingPosted 5/12/2013 9:03:43 PM
The gameplay is fun enough and it has Jensen Ackles in it, dunno how someone can think it's as horrible as some people rate it.
---
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8913/boaz.jpg
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/78/Ji_Ling.png
#10kyushudanjiPosted 5/12/2013 9:55:38 PM
^I am happy that something related to the PE series was released, even if it is action based. I can tolerate only so many iterations of FF and KH.