About the title "The 3rd Birthday." [SPOILERS FOR ENTIRE PE SERIES + NOVEL]

#1Moeman_Posted 6/9/2013 4:24:09 AM
Hello! I have some developments on a previous theory of mine.

In AWM100's topic, "I'm not quite sure if I understand... *spoilers*", they were wondering about the concept of "The 4th Birthday," the bonus ending file. (At least I think that's what it is; I haven't seen it myself, and I'm not looking to get spoiled on that particular part anytime soon. Anyway, his original message was pondering if a "fourth" birthday is the correct number, since Eve could've been "born" at least eight times.

I had originally said that the four births of Eve were as follows.

1. The mitochondria that Kiyomi Nagashima was born with in the first Eve in Hideaki Sena's novel, Parasite Eve, and the movie adaptation of said novel.
2. The mitochondria that invaded Melissa Pearce of the video game Parasite Eve.
3. Eve Brea herself, as shown in Parasite Eve II and at a few pivotal moments in The 3rd Birthday.
4. Eve Brea "born again" in Aya's body.

I was assuming that the mitochondria itself was "Eve," but I had neglected to actually complete the Chrysler Building in Parasite Eve (game), and thus, hadn't seen a crucial scene that may have changed my stance on this theory. However, after some deliberation, I only have a minor correction, and I felt it was necessary to share.

The true four Eves of the Parasite Eve metaseries, according to my theory, are...

1. The mitochondria that Kiyomi Nagashima was born with in Hideaki Sena's novel, Parasite Eve, and the movie adaptation of said novel.
2. The mitochondria that Maya Brea was born with in the video game Parasite Eve, which later Aya Brea and Melissa Pearce received via organ transplant (Liver and cornea, respectively). Melissa succumbs to this mitochondria, and Aya almost does, but seals her powers away and receives new ones in Parasite Eve II.
3. The artificial human who was cultured by the Shadow Government in Parasite Eve II, and later became known as Eve Brea, who is also seen at several pivotal moments in The 3rd Birthday.
4. Eve Brea "born again" in Aya Brea's body.

This still does mean that the title of The 3rd Birthday is hinting at how you're playing the third Eve the entire time, and of course, that the concept of The 4th Birthday, and Kyle telling Eve "happy birthday" in the ending is referring to Eve Brea's "birth" in Aya's body.

That's a lot of text, I know, but thank you if you stuck around to read it. :)
---
"Be confident, think positive!"
#2kyushudanjiPosted 6/9/2013 8:38:29 AM
^Interesting theories you have, and I am glad that you elaborated on them. You gave me an idea. What if these multiple Eves are, in reality, attempting to reunite into a single entity? The Eves are searching for suitable hosts, have found them and now the objective is for all to become one, and continue with the purebred's original intentions. This could be integrated into T3B's ending--Aya's soul and Eve's body were destined to be a new host for all of the Eves. The creation of the Twisted and High Ones, and Bohr's efforts to "return to zero" could have been the part of a greater plan.

2. The mitochondria that Maya Brea was born with in the video game Parasite Eve, which later Aya Brea and Melissa Pearce received via organ transplant (Liver and cornea, respectively). Melissa succumbs to this mitochondria, and Aya almost does, but seals her powers away and receives new ones in Parasite Eve II.

I have not played PE1 in quite some time. I am wondering which is the canonical ending for it, the regular ending or the Ex-game ending? If it is the latter, I was led to believe that Maya's personality resurfacing at the end was the means of suppressing Eve, and therefore, Aya's powers. This, in turn, allowed Aya to develop distinct PE abilities in PE2. However, as I stated, it has been a few years, so my recall of the specifics may not be correct.
#3sonicfan11589Posted 6/9/2013 9:53:09 AM
I've read the novel, and played all 3 games. Even though they don't officially confirm it in the first game, Aya and Maya's mother is named Mariko.

Could this be the same Mariko from the novel, i think so, she survived the events of the novel, so she must have eventually went to the US when older, meet her husband, got married, and gave birth to Aya and Maya, passing on her mutated strain of mitochondria which was the only thing changed about her since the events of the novel. Aya must have had some sort of recessive EVE strain (sorry if i don't fully understand the concept of mitochondria and genes) which when fused with Maya's strain after Aya's cornea transplant surgery at age 8, allowed Aya's body to symbiotically live with Maya's EVE strain which i'm guessing is the reason for her developing super powers as opposed to succumbing to the EVE strain and transforming into a monster.

What do u guys think?

(Oh and on a side note, it's great to see this game's board still alive and kicking, it's an amazing series, would love to see a new installment, just hope they find a way to bring back Aya or at least have a better telling story)
#4Moeman_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2013 3:00:15 PM
[POST 1 OF 2]

kyushudanji posted...
^Interesting theories you have, and I am glad that you elaborated on them. You gave me an idea. What if these multiple Eves are, in reality, attempting to reunite into a single entity? The Eves are searching for suitable hosts, have found them and now the objective is for all to become one, and continue with the purebred's original intentions. This could be integrated into T3B's ending--Aya's soul and Eve's body were destined to be a new host for all of the Eves. The creation of the Twisted and High Ones, and Bohr's efforts to "return to zero" could have been the part of a greater plan.

That's extremely interesting. I don't know if Kiyomi's mitochondria still exists--it's likely it does--but at the least, the stage is set with all of the mitochondria in one host. Maya's mitochondria are in Aya, and the mind of Eve Brea, who supposedly harnessed extremely more powerful powers than Aya's, resides in Aya's body now. Man, I'm really excited for a new entry in this series.

kyushudanji posted...
I have not played PE1 in quite some time. I am wondering which is the canonical ending for it, the regular ending or the Ex-game ending? If it is the latter, I was led to believe that Maya's personality resurfacing at the end was the means of suppressing Eve, and therefore, Aya's powers. This, in turn, allowed Aya to develop distinct PE abilities in PE2. However, as I stated, it has been a few years, so my recall of the specifics may not be correct.

No, you're right. That's where I was going with my original post, but I was extremely tired when I wrote that up. (Notice the missing parentheses after my first--terrible mistake!) Aya's powers as of Parasite Eve II were what would've happened if her own mitochondria awakened, is that what you're saying? That's a fascinating theory. Since they're twins, I don't know why Aya wouldn't have her own neo-mitochondria throughout her whole body. She should've gained her own powers, yet instead she had ones that Maya would've had to herself. Fascinating insights. Thank you, kyushudanji, :)
---
#5Moeman_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2013 3:09:05 PM
[POST 2 OF 2]

sonicfan11589 posted...
I've read the novel, and played all 3 games. Even though they don't officially confirm it in the first game, Aya and Maya's mother is named Mariko.

Could this be the same Mariko from the novel, i think so, she survived the events of the novel, so she must have eventually went to the US when older, meet her husband, got married, and gave birth to Aya and Maya, passing on her mutated strain of mitochondria which was the only thing changed about her since the events of the novel. Aya must have had some sort of recessive EVE strain (sorry if i don't fully understand the concept of mitochondria and genes) which when fused with Maya's strain after Aya's cornea transplant surgery at age 8, allowed Aya's body to symbiotically live with Maya's EVE strain which i'm guessing is the reason for her developing super powers as opposed to succumbing to the EVE strain and transforming into a monster.

What do u guys think?

I really, really wish Mariko Anzai was Mariko Brea, but the fact of it is that Mariko Brea sharing Mariko Anzai's name is just a cameo. The Parasite Eve wiki tells the story on that...

The Parasite Eve wiki's trivia section
Aya's mother is named Mariko, but there are major contradictions in the Parasite Eve universe for the possibility of her being Mariko Anzai. The time difference is too little. The endosymbiotic theory was only discovered in the 1980s the earliest time the novel can take place, if not in the 90s. Aya Brea (born 1972) was already born before the book.

sonicfan11589 posted...
(Oh and on a side note, it's great to see this game's board still alive and kicking, it's an amazing series, would love to see a new installment, just hope they find a way to bring back Aya or at least have a better telling story)

SoraandRoxasfan's idea is that The 3rd Birthday is a dream that Eve is having while being in captivity of the Shadow Government. It's an idea with merit, but I think that T3B needs to have happened still. Maybe something like, Aya and Eve's minds, when under extreme, extreme mental stress, can still link up like they did in Parasite Eve II--therefore, Eve is seeing what Aya's seeing, but due to it being a dream, she isn't seeing everything correctly. So the Twisted and High Ones attack, the Overdive device and everything is there, but it's just that it's all Aya who's doing this, no reveal.

But, truth be told, I really like the ideas brought up here better. I think if they find a way to bring back Aya Brea without screwing up the new timeline, (Which they will, I mean, c'mon, it's Parasite Eve. :p) it could be interesting to have a two-player PE game.

...Also, if Aya came back, they'd essentially be bringing Maya back, wouldn't they? Since Aya and Eve would be sharing two separate bodies that are essentially equal. Man, this series is amazing.

Thanks for the input, sonicfan11589. :)
---
#6sonicfan11589Posted 6/9/2013 10:02:53 PM
Yeah I think if Square Enix ever made a sequel to The 3rd Birthday, it would still somehow incorporate Aya.
-Aya's last words as she is shot by Eve Brea, "I'll never disappear".
-Kyle stating that he is going to go search for "eternity" a.k.a. Aya
-And the extra ending where Aya appear for a moment to wish Eve a happy 4th birthday.
plus the fact she is a popular character.
#7Moeman_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2013 3:26:09 PM
I remember someone saying Kyle looking for "eternity" meant that he was looking for eternal youth, or the thing in Aya and Eve's mitochondria that keeps them looking younger than they are. It makes sense, but I think eternity is Aya as well.
---
#8kyushudanjiPosted 6/10/2013 6:03:33 PM
@51793Moeman

Not to appear cocky, but I proposed the theory of the "shadow government":

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/951987-the-3rd-birthday/62732928

I think the following two threads are recommended reading concerning eternity and Kyle:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/951987-the-3rd-birthday/62079336 (dantegirl had an interesting theory)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/951987-the-3rd-birthday/63292192

SE needs to find a writer who can logically clear up the plot holes and turn the story into something more coherent.
#9Moeman_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2013 8:50:30 PM
That isn't cockiness at all! I'm sorry for not doing my homework. I'll gladly take corrections one something I don't know about. I just wish that GameFAQs allowed me to edit that post again. Thank you for the correction, kyushudanji! :)
---
#10kyushudanjiPosted 6/11/2013 1:08:15 AM
^^No worries. You really cannot feel a person's "tone", and frequently it can be misinterpreted. I rather play it safe than to be the lone marshmallow being burned. :-/

Thanks for posting your thoughts, too. It is always good to read other (regular to once-in-a-blue-moon) posters' perspectives of the series. It keeps the debate and theories interesting.