Considering taking vacation on release day

#21midnyghtsson265Posted 9/4/2014 3:30:36 PM
pr0n- posted...
A few things wrong with your assumptions here:
(1) This kind of crowding happens at every launch. Bungie ought to know and be able to pepare for it. They've been doing AAA online games for years; I think they know what they're doing by now. It is possible that the server load will be bigger than anticipated, but your insinuation that they can't/won't/didn't anticipate people taking off from work to play Destiny and factor that into the expected server load assumes that you, random internet guy, know more than they do and that is either arrogance or paranoia, two traits I don't like to see in anyone.

(2) I'm not taking tuesday off. I'm taking wed, thurs, fri, and sat off. And, as I already mentioned, have other plans for those days. The fact that Destiny's launch coincides with my vacation is rather low on my list of priorities.

(3) It's called a "vacation." Are you seriously telling me you will NEVER take a vacation until you're earning $50 an hour? Jobs give us that time for a reason. It is ours to do with as we please. Just to be clear, I am talking about paid time off, scheduled weeks or months in advance, not "calling out sick." The latter, IMO, would be rather irresponsible.

(4) I'm going to reiterate point number two here, for emphasis. A day off is still a day off, with or without a shiny new video game. Even if Destiny flops, you still have TIME OFF TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT. The only way taking time off would be "stupid" is if you sat there and stared at the "servers not found" screen like a moron for 24 hours straight, grumbling that Bungie/Destiny/whomever wasted your day off. Get up. Do something else with your time off. And be happy. If you do that, the time is not wasted and you'll go back to work the next day (or next week, in my case) feeling refreshed. That's what vacations are for. I think you could use one too, BTW.

I guess people still don't understand no matter what there are and always will be budgets for servers. This results and equals 'always problems with too many people trying to play at the same exact time'. period. Yea there are setups that can easily allow pretty much unlimited amounts of people playing at the 'same exact' time. But that is a perfect world scenario.. and do we live in a perfect world.. duh no. They actually have budgets resulting in setups that cannot allow certain amounts of people all trying to play at the same exact time. That is reality.

Also I work for my places hydro. If I wasn't in a good position job wise I would be using that time getting a better job or working the job I do have. Or at the very least like I already stated btw.. I wouldn't be so stupid as to take a tues, weds, or thurs off a normal work week. I would take the friday off. Like I already stated.

Another thing I already stated was not only how stupid taking a day off like that is but on top of that people are blindly taking a day off mid week. Not even knowing if they can play with absolutely no assurances what so ever. So not only are you taking a day off mid week to play but you don't even know you can play on top of that..

Which also would fit into taking a friday off because then you would at the very least have some sort of idea where the game is stability wise to even be able to play.

The only thing stupid is how concerned you are with that persons schedule/habits/vacation time. Let people do what they want...I agree with him in a paid day off work is NEVER a waste. You are wasting your time trying to tell people how they should take time off.
#22pr0n-Posted 9/4/2014 5:58:54 PM
midnyghtsson265 posted...
pr0n- posted...
A few things wrong with your assumptions here:
(1) This kind of crowding happens at every launch. Bungie ought to know and be able to pepare for it. They've been doing AAA online games for years; I think they know what they're doing by now. It is possible that the server load will be bigger than anticipated, but your insinuation that they can't/won't/didn't anticipate people taking off from work to play Destiny and factor that into the expected server load assumes that you, random internet guy, know more than they do and that is either arrogance or paranoia, two traits I don't like to see in anyone.

(2) I'm not taking tuesday off. I'm taking wed, thurs, fri, and sat off. And, as I already mentioned, have other plans for those days. The fact that Destiny's launch coincides with my vacation is rather low on my list of priorities.

(3) It's called a "vacation." Are you seriously telling me you will NEVER take a vacation until you're earning $50 an hour? Jobs give us that time for a reason. It is ours to do with as we please. Just to be clear, I am talking about paid time off, scheduled weeks or months in advance, not "calling out sick." The latter, IMO, would be rather irresponsible.

(4) I'm going to reiterate point number two here, for emphasis. A day off is still a day off, with or without a shiny new video game. Even if Destiny flops, you still have TIME OFF TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT. The only way taking time off would be "stupid" is if you sat there and stared at the "servers not found" screen like a moron for 24 hours straight, grumbling that Bungie/Destiny/whomever wasted your day off. Get up. Do something else with your time off. And be happy. If you do that, the time is not wasted and you'll go back to work the next day (or next week, in my case) feeling refreshed. That's what vacations are for. I think you could use one too, BTW.

I guess people still don't understand no matter what there are and always will be budgets for servers. This results and equals 'always problems with too many people trying to play at the same exact time'. period. Yea there are setups that can easily allow pretty much unlimited amounts of people playing at the 'same exact' time. But that is a perfect world scenario.. and do we live in a perfect world.. duh no. They actually have budgets resulting in setups that cannot allow certain amounts of people all trying to play at the same exact time. That is reality.

Also I work for my places hydro. If I wasn't in a good position job wise I would be using that time getting a better job or working the job I do have. Or at the very least like I already stated btw.. I wouldn't be so stupid as to take a tues, weds, or thurs off a normal work week. I would take the friday off. Like I already stated.

Another thing I already stated was not only how stupid taking a day off like that is but on top of that people are blindly taking a day off mid week. Not even knowing if they can play with absolutely no assurances what so ever. So not only are you taking a day off mid week to play but you don't even know you can play on top of that..

Which also would fit into taking a friday off because then you would at the very least have some sort of idea where the game is stability wise to even be able to play.

The only thing stupid is how concerned you are with that persons schedule/habits/vacation time. Let people do what they want...I agree with him in a paid day off work is NEVER a waste. You are wasting your time trying to tell people how they should take time off.

You can't be that 'stupid'. You imply everyone has a different opinion but yet you end your post with I'm wasting my time trying to tell people how they should take their time off. I'm not trying to tell anyone to do anything. Simply stating the obvious
#23bigblu3Posted 9/4/2014 7:26:07 PM
pr0n- posted...

You can't be that 'stupid'. You imply everyone has a different opinion but yet you end your post with I'm wasting my time trying to tell people how they should take their time off. I'm not trying to tell anyone to do anything. Simply stating the obvious

The only obvious and 'stupid' thing here is you.
#24midnyghtsson265Posted 9/4/2014 7:34:57 PM
What.....?? You make no sense. Im not "implying" anything...of COURSE we all have our own opinion...what point are you trying to make? Its not my opinion that you are wasting your time, you think someone will reschedule based on what some random dweeb says on the net?

What "obvious" are you stating? All I see is bad sentence structure, piss poor punctuation and an obviously overly-concerned person trying to tell others what day THEY should take off for YOUR stupid reasons.

All the "duh no" crap and "stupid" or "blindly" comments makes you sound like some smart mouthed dick and you frankly come off as somewhat of an idiot.
#25midnyghtsson265Posted 9/4/2014 7:36:32 PM
bigblu3 posted...
pr0n- posted...

The only obvious and 'stupid' thing here is you.

Lol Agreed on this. Im waiting to see the nonsense he comes up with next to see if my ignore button comes into play here.
#26pr0n-Posted 9/4/2014 11:02:01 PM(edited)
What.....?? You make no sense. Im not "implying" anything...of COURSE we all have our own opinion...what point are you trying to make? Its not my opinion that you are wasting your time, you think someone will reschedule based on what some random dweeb says on the net?

What "obvious" are you stating? All I see is bad sentence structure, piss poor punctuation and an obviously overly-concerned person trying to tell others what day THEY should take off for YOUR stupid reasons.

All the "duh no" crap and "stupid" or "blindly" comments makes you sound like some smart mouthed dick and you frankly come off as somewhat of an idiot.

Youre the one saying I'm telling people what to do. Im just telling people my opinion.. yea clearly youre brilliant

edit: Yea Im the idiot taking a day off mid week to play a game I may or may not be able to play
#27midnyghtsson265Posted 9/5/2014 5:08:46 AM
pr0n- posted...

Youre the one saying I'm telling people what to do. Im just telling people my opinion.. yea clearly youre brilliant

edit: Yea Im the idiot taking a day off mid week to play a game I may or may not be able to play

Last post from me to you, you just arent getting it. Even if the game doesnt play..a day off is a day off. There are other games, other things to do on a free day during the week. He already said that but you are so stubborn and thick, you didnt even respond to that lil info. And your opinion is full of condescending comments making you seem like a spoiled kid who is mad the other kids wont listen to his idea.

And yes...you are an idiot whether you realize it or not. Reading your posts convinced me of that.
#28JanpeiPosted 9/5/2014 7:02:55 AM
I never got a chance to take my vacation this summer because we had a store remodel. So I've collected about four hours of vacation time, so I've just decided to take off from the 9th until 14th off.

I've factored in the possibility of the servers not running properly on launch, but the way I see it, I have a couple of more toons I need to get to 70 in DIII. Not only that, but Winter Soldier and Marvel Agents of SHIELD come out that same day, so at some point during that vacay, I've gotta binge watch some TV.

But in a perfect scenario, I'll be playing Destiny all week!
---
The First to Fight: A NEW blog dedicated to combat sports, films, pro-wrestling, comics, and much more
http://thefirsttofight.wordpress.com/
#29bigblu3Posted 9/5/2014 11:30:18 AM
pr0n- posted...

The fact that you call people an idiot or stupid for choosing to take a day off of work to do what they want to do makes you an idiot.

You are assuming that Destiny on day one will be unplayable. The fact that you think Bungie (A multimillion dollar company) and it's publisher, Activision (A multibillion dollar company) would skimp on servers for one of the biggest games spanning across 4 platforms makes you an idiot.
#30THEITALIANZ333Posted 9/5/2014 2:11:19 PM
I will not be taking a day off for this, but who cares if other people do, if they can take a day off to do something they enjoy doing, good for them. Its incredibly rude to call them idiots just because you think another way. Get off your high horse.