GTA IV Offline Activation Help?

#1StrayEaglePosted 12/20/2008 7:56:02 AM

My friend got this game last week but he has no internet (this is where I think the whole anti-piray "they must be connected to the internet to play" fails). Well he installed the game but when he tried to play it the activation screen came up. It said he had to be connected to the internet and thats when he said "oh ****"

Ho, but dont worry! If you are NOT connected to the internet the next page text explains more. So what does it explain? It explains that its going to connect to the internet (witch he doesn't have *rolls eyes*) and says nothing about what to do if hes offline.

So, he asked me to ask you people. Any help?

#2willdmonkeyboyPosted 12/20/2008 8:07:23 AM
when in game press HOME key, then select create new account, then select offline account
#3pilotmasmanPosted 12/20/2008 10:24:36 AM
i dont think he can get onto the game, its just coming up with activation screen which you cant select offline on
#4sunil_u123Posted 12/20/2008 10:31:05 AM
Internet connection is definitely required. I don't think there's any way to activate it without the internet. That's how it is with Windows XP and Vista as well.
#5willdmonkeyboyPosted 12/20/2008 11:48:47 AM
yea i just looked at the back of the box it says internet connection required for initial activation - try bringing their pc over to yours and just quickly hook it up
#6mike90999Posted 12/20/2008 12:02:48 PM
tell your ''friend'' to download a better torrent/crack and to buy the game afterwards if he likes it and it works.
#7BeerbarianPosted 12/20/2008 2:30:32 PM
Rule #1 when having trouble with a game is to consult the readme.txt first for any important information you might need...

From the readme.txt:

"If you fail to connect or need to perform this step from a different computer with internet access, please visit www.rockstargames.com/support or activate.rockstargames.com/?c=GTA4 for details."

From that page (activate.rockstargames.com/?c=GTA4):

"If you DO NOT have an Internet connection on the PC where you installed GTA IV, you will need to perform a 'Manual Activation', and possibly an offline 'Date Check' to activate your game. Please click on this HERE for more information on topic."

It basically alows you to perform an activation using your unlock code and put the needed encrypted file onto a flash drive or some such, then bring that back and copy it to the internet-challenged PC where GTAIV is installed to complete activation. I know one friend who had to do this(did it from my house), so I know it works.

Make sure he brings a copy of the readme.txt on the flash drive(for the URL to the activation site) and it should only take a few minutes to complete it.
---
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ @ 2.4gHz - Asus 939 A8N-E - eVGA GTX 280 1024MB - 3GB Crucial Ballistix DDR - 700w Xion Realpower PSU - WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit
#8StrayEagle(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2008 3:12:16 PM
mike90999 posted...
tell your ''friend'' to download a better torrent/crack and to buy the game afterwards if he likes it and it works.

EXCUSE me?

Anyway, to the guy who told me about the offline LIVE account, its not that. The game won't start until he activates it, and now since I hear you NEED internet to play, I guess my friend is screwed. Still think that whole "Internet required" thing is complete BS...
#9GeneralCortezPosted 12/20/2008 4:02:59 PM
https://support.securom.com/rockstarunlock/index.php?c=offline

Boosh

Just get him to come by your house and get everything set up. He'll need the code from the game manual, and the code the game gives him. He will also need a burnable disc or a USB Drive(a digital camera with a big memory card or a PSP will also do). He might not need the offline activator program, but I'd go ahead and download to save time

So yeah. Hope it works for him! I'll be activating my game offline, as my gaming PC is offline

Offline Gamers **** YEAH!
---
"Er kann mich im arsche lecken!"-Gotz von Berlichingen
[Papal Crusaders] {Official Maverick of 261}
#10Snake3232Posted 12/20/2008 4:17:19 PM
LOL i also had to do Offline activation, simply just type GTA IV offline installation on google im sure it will take u to a securom page