Patched and now GTA 4 won't start!

#1CameronElektraPosted 4/3/2009 7:54:47 PM
yeah, so basically in the title - I patched to 1.0.3 and now the game won't start. It says it's loading, with the little spinning disc coming up, but it doesn't start. So I patvhed all the patches, .1, .2 and then .3 (this was the first time I'd patched, and I missed the first two), but it still won't work. I ejected the disc and puit it back in, I've restarted the computer twice, I've ran it from autoplay in "My Computer", the start menu and the most used programs menu, bit it still; won't work. Worked last night, but I turned it off at the wall cause i had to go quickly, instead of shutting it down. GTA 4 might've still been running, but I;m not sure. Ideas?
#2teddyrobPosted 4/3/2009 8:01:09 PM

CameronElektra posted...
yeah, so basically in the title - I patched to 1.0.3 and now the game won't start. It says it's loading, with the little spinning disc coming up, but it doesn't start. So I patvhed all the patches, .1, .2 and then .3 (this was the first time I'd patched, and I missed the first two), but it still won't work. I ejected the disc and puit it back in, I've restarted the computer twice, I've ran it from autoplay in "My Computer", the start menu and the most used programs menu, bit it still; won't work. Worked last night, but I turned it off at the wall cause i had to go quickly, instead of shutting it down. GTA 4 might've still been running, but I;m not sure. Ideas?

Run it from games folder in Vista. I had the same problem when I patched to 1.3

#3CameronElektra(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2009 8:09:53 PM
I've got XP
#4Lucian04Posted 4/3/2009 8:21:08 PM
Two theories:

1) You're a dirty pirate and the crack you're using doesn't work with 1.03

2) You're a mod using fiend and some mods you're using (most likely asi/script mods) are causing GTA IV to crash because the ASI loader you're using isn't compatible with 1.03.
---
"I'm a condescending bastard"
- Lucian04 from the Book of Douche
#5CameronElektra(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2009 8:25:49 PM
yep, I'm no.2. You caught me! I thought that might be the problem. Are you gonna condemn me? Thanks anyway. I don't go online if thats what you're worrying about
#6Lucian04Posted 4/3/2009 9:34:54 PM
I don't care because 1.03 doesn't allow you to use mods online anyway lol.. I use mods myself, but that was an issue I had with asi scripts in 1.03. There is now an asi loader for 1.03 but modders need to update their asi scripts to work in 1.03 as well otherwise it's pointless.
---
#7arkadiykPosted 4/4/2009 4:25:02 AM

hi ive bought this game for my hard earned money and waited a few months to play it because its not playable.

patche 1 , 2 and now 3 ( my game want start dd3d30 error reboot system fatal error)

my system

e6600 @ 3.3 ghz

evga gtx 285 ftw @ 720 driver 182.08 and 182.5 haha wtf

4 gigs og dominators @ 1066 ddr2

vista 64 bit sp1

i spent 6 hours with the helpless and hopless rockstar tech help they do not know wtf thier doing.

i tied everything from repathing reinstalling, getting new drivers and the game will not start anymoe

i played the game b4 but now i want to finish it.

anyone have an ansewr to this madness.

#8Lucian04Posted 4/4/2009 6:19:41 AM
1) Back up your important crap.

2) Format C

3) Clean Install Windows

4) Register and Run Windows Update and get your updated mainboard drivers

5) Get Service Pack 1 and Net Framework 3.5

6) Get Windows Live v 2 as well as the latest drivers for anything else.

7) Install GTA IV then install 1.0.3.0 Update

With a system like yours, formatting, installing and updating windows shouldn't take more than 45 minutes unless you have a slow ass internet connection.

If it doesn't work after that, then something is fubar'd with your hardware.
---
#9revoscloudPosted 4/4/2009 7:56:13 AM

arkadiyk posted...

hi ive bought this game for my hard earned money and waited a few months to play it because its not playable.

patche 1 , 2 and now 3 ( my game want start dd3d30 error reboot system fatal error)

my system

e6600 @ 3.3 ghz

evga gtx 285 ftw @ 720 driver 182.08 and 182.5 haha wtf

4 gigs og dominators @ 1066 ddr2

vista 64 bit sp1

i spent 6 hours with the helpless and hopless rockstar tech help they do not know wtf thier doing.

i tied everything from repathing reinstalling, getting new drivers and the game will not start anymoe

i played the game b4 but now i want to finish it.

anyone have an ansewr to this madness.

Are you trying to say it lists 2 drivers running your GPU?

Uninstall drivers, use a program called Driver Sweeper to fully clean them out. Then reinstall new ones after reboot.

Also try a program called CCleaner to clean your registry as well as junk files.

I have heard that changing your resolution to 800*600 (you can make a commandline.txt in the games directory and add -width 800 -height 600 parameters) might fix the problem, as well as starting in (classic) windowed mode.

#10arkadiykPosted 4/4/2009 11:11:34 AM

no i meant i tried both drivers separately. for those who would respond in oh you don't have the latest drivers i did.

OK if rock-star cant help me then no one can and I'm not going to reformat my whole computer it'll take more then 45 minutes its always the solution to everything but i thing their is a better solution then that.