Fatal error: RMN40

#1i_beat_my_wifePosted 8/12/2009 1:19:55 PM
every time i try to play GTA i get this error

GTA 4 FATAL ERROR: windows xp needs to have sp3 or higher to proceed.

I have windows vista 64!!!!!!

i dont know why this is happening. i could play this game fine ages ago but now this happens.

i googled around and all the help i found was useless. especially play in windows 2000 compatability... i have also updated my drivers and re-installed them multiple times.

any help would be appeciated thanks.
#2revoscloudPosted 8/12/2009 7:01:51 PM

Stop beating your wife!

:P

Are you using a crack or Xliveless? Maybe a firewall is stopping it. What changes have you made since the last time the game was working?

#3i_beat_my_wife(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2009 4:10:28 AM
haha, she annoys me tho, nevebr stops moaning :P

its a steam version. i have made no changes since i used 2 play it except uninstall the game and install it again.

the only change i have probably made is updating drivers and windows updates
#4revoscloudPosted 8/13/2009 5:53:13 AM

Have you patched the game to version 1.4? You also might want to try the Xliveless thing, it might bypass whatever is stopping you. I believe the current version is .97b. It can be found on google, and it;s easy to install. Just replace the xlive.dll in your game folder with the one from Xliveless.

#5i_beat_my_wife(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2009 7:46:35 AM
it should be 1.4. the last update according to steam was the 24th january.

i downloaded that thing. i have no idea what to do with those files tho lol.
#6revoscloudPosted 8/13/2009 8:25:02 AM
You should manually download and apply patch 1.4 just to be safe.
Now for Xliveless. Right-click your GTAIV icon and select Properties. Click the tab Open File Location. This should take you to the games folder, where the bad xlive.dll is. Now all you have to do is drag the Xliveless xlive.dll from wherever you downloaded it to, and drop it in the game folder and click Yes to replace it.