how to recover my game progress or game save files? help needed!

#1bigwhiterabbitPosted 10/6/2010 10:36:20 AM
I used to play GTA 4 offline (single player missions) before I had my high speed internet connection. After I tried to play GTA 4 online using Window Live (or sth. like that) I had some problem. The next time I started GTA 4, it went back all the way to the beginning at the dock (Intro video also replayed). I have lost my game progress (approx. 40-50% progress). I couldn't even load my old game saves. Please help me! I don't want to play the game all the way from the beginnning once again. How to find or recover my old game save files? Which is the location on my hard drive? Thanks for your help.
#2EntegyPosted 10/7/2010 8:04:03 AM
Start a new game and get at least one save done in it. Note the date and time of the file on the load screen. Now exit thegame.

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<WindowsUserName>\Local Settings\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames (XP) or C:\users\<WindowsUserName>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames (Vista/7)

You'll see three folders. One is "user_invalid" and the other two will be user_OMGWTFBBQRANDOMSTRINGOFLETTERS One of them will have your old saves, and one will have that save I told you to do earlier. Copy the savefiles from the other folder into the folder with the save mentioned above. Start the game and you should see your saves again.
---
http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t359/Entegy/Fallout%203/drink.png
#3bigwhiterabbit(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2010 12:49:44 PM
Thanks Entegy!

I followed your instruction below, could copied and recovered those old game savefiles. All those old game savefiles actually showed up in the loadup screen. However, when I tried to load old game savefiles, all of them failed to load. I got an error message: LOAD FAILED. PLEASE CHECK YOUR HARD DRIVE AND TRY AGAIN. The only game savefile I can load up without problem is the new one you asked me to play a new game and save it. But that is a new game savefile. It seems like all old game savefiles refused to work even though I could see them in the list.

So how to deal with this problem, Entegy? Thanks for your generous help again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start a new game and get at least one save done in it. Note the date and time of the file on the load screen. Now exit thegame.

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<WindowsUserName>\Local Settings\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames (XP) or C:\users\<WindowsUserName>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames (Vista/7)

You'll see three folders. One is "user_invalid" and the other two will be user_OMGWTFBBQRANDOMSTRINGOFLETTERS One of them will have your old saves, and one will have that save I told you to do earlier. Copy the savefiles from the other folder into the folder with the save mentioned above. Start the game and you should see your saves again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#4GuitarJozzPosted 10/9/2010 4:05:51 PM
I am having the same problem. I did the same things mentioned above, copied the save files, but even though I can see the saved games in the load game menu, they fail to load properly or something, and all I can do is start from the beginning. is there a way to maybe change the file a little using notepad or something, so it is able to be loaded by a different live account?
#5EntegyPosted 10/10/2010 10:23:33 AM
You're both screwed. There's a DLL file associated with all GFWL accounts tied in with save games. You're gonna have to start over.
---
http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t359/Entegy/Fallout%203/drink.png
http://card.mygamercard.net/cylinder/Entegy.png
#6bigwhiterabbit(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2010 10:19:19 AM
Entegy, there is no alternative way to solve the problem without starting all the way from the beginning, right?
Stupid game and live account log in system! Anyone else can help me? Thanks!!
More topics from this board...
need help pleaseshaigan211977/5 12:07AM