Risen performance and visual tuning: updated tweaks

#1TheOtherGuyXPosted 10/6/2009 5:11:49 PM
Taken from the following link (go to it if you want to see comparison screenshots):
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,696728/Risen-Tuning-Tips-Activate-Anti-Aliasing-improve-graphics-and-start-the-game-faster/Practice/

Risen: Activate Anti Aliasing
Even if there is no option in Risen to activate Anti Aliasing you shouldn't become desperate. With some tricks you can get smoothed edges nevertheless - and this improves the visual appearance of Risen noticeably.

Geforce owners can use the tool Nhnacer (.Net Framework 3.5 required). Search for Vanguard among the profiles and assign it to the "Risen.exe” file. Tick off the appropriate Anti Aliasing quality modes under "Anti Aliasing Compatibility” and "Enhancements” to have the edges smoothed. You can even select Hybrid FSAA modes like 16xS - depending on the speed of your graphics card.

Radeon owners can rename the "Risen.exe” into UT3.exe and should be able to force Anti Aliasing in the Catalyst Control center afterwards. In the game itself you should deactivate the Depth of Filed blur.

Depth of Field blur in Risen: Yes or No
Actually the Depth of Field blur is supposed to simulate the fact that a human eye only has a limited area which it can focus on. So focused areas are sharp and the rest of the visual field is not. We think that this focus simulation wasn't done very well since the effect is applied globally and thus all textures appear to be a little blurred. Therefore we recommend deactivating the Depth of Field blur completely.

Risen: Accelerate the launch
In order to deactivate the launch videos of Risen and thus the game itself, you have to edit the "Logo.ini” file (\Risen\data\extern\videos\logo.ini). First of all you should backup the file. After that you can delete all entries in the original file. This makes Risen start faster.

Risen: Tweaking the ini files
Actually the most important graphics settings od risen have not been stored in ini but in xml files. The "ConfigDefault.xml” is located in the Risen folder and the "ConfigUser.xml” can be found in the following locations:
- Vista: C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Risen
- XP: C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Risen

While the Default.xml is the standard file, personal settings are stored in the User.xml. It is recommendable to adjust the settings in the User.xml since they won't be reset when the game is updated. Settings that are not available yet, can be copied into the ConfigUser.xml and modified afterwards.

Risen: Higher draw distance for vegetation
In the ConfigDefault.xml or the ConfigUser.xml you can find ViewRange=”xx” filed under Vegetation. The default value is 7500, but you can set it to 16000 nevertheless.

Risen: Higher shadow quality
In the ConfigDefault.xml or the ConfigUser.xml you can find the parameter DetailShadowMapSize=”xx”. The default value of 1024 can be doubled to 2048. This decreases the Aliasing and makes the shadows a little sharper.

Risen: Tuning shadows and SSAO
If you want to play at the highest draw distance, but have performance problems, you can deactivate Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO) and/or Soft Shadows in the mentioned XML files. The appropriate entries only have to be set to "false”. In our gallery you can find some example pictures.

Risen: Adjust key commands
In the ConfigUser.xml you can also change locked key commands. An example:

Key_F8=”QuickSave_0”
Key_F9=”QuickLoad_0”

You only have to replace the bolt letters with another key that isn't in use.

------------------------------------------------------

Here's some more discussion and help on increasing the max view distance: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=689323

---
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."
#2TheOtherGuyX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2009 6:52:38 PM
Bump? People might want to see this guide if they want to increase draw distance.

---
#3Yoda502Posted 10/6/2009 7:06:07 PM
This guide doesn't increase draw distance. I did the tweaks.

This guide increases vegetation draw distance. Everything else such as the trees and mountains still have the same bad draw distance. It actually looks worse because everything around the far-off vegetation is in low-res textures.

No one's found a way to increase the overall draw distance yet.. Also, the antialising tweak didn't work for me. Not sure why.
#4TheOtherGuyX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2009 7:09:43 PM
Did you check the thread I posted at the bottom? Could've sworn one of them stated they found a way to increase everything. I believe ROI does the trick, you probably need to add all your tweaks to the Userconfig.xml.

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=689323

---
#5Yoda502Posted 10/6/2009 7:30:51 PM
Hm. Well, I followed their instructions but it didn't work for me.

Too much effort when the game already looks pretty good if you ask me..
#6TheOtherGuyX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2009 7:43:04 PM
Oh I'm not bothering with the draw distance tweaks either, not worth the performance hit for me. But some people have already complained around forums about not having everything visible as they'd like, so that is there for them to try.

---
#7Yoda502Posted 10/6/2009 7:49:28 PM
Yeah my PC isn't even breaking a sweat. The lack of Antialising ticks me off. I built an insane computer so I could max antialising, and this game doesn't have it? Makes no sense.

The draw distance does not bother me. Just AA..
#8TheOtherGuyX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2009 7:51:13 PM
I don't really notice a problem with the lack of AA. The only jaggies I really even see are on my weapon. I suppose it's because I play on 1680x1050.

---
#9Yoda502Posted 10/6/2009 7:54:43 PM
Could be. I'm on 1920 x 1080 HD and the edges are painfully jagged. I feel like if I could just flip on 8xAA the game would be photorealistic.
#10mtdew332Posted 10/6/2009 9:19:19 PM

Yoda502 posted...
Yeah my PC isn't even breaking a sweat. The lack of Antialising ticks me off. I built an insane computer so I could max antialising, and this game doesn't have it? Makes no sense.

The draw distance does not bother me. Just AA..

If you're using a Nvidia card , just rename the games shortcut to vanguard.exe and then you can force AA in the nvidia control panel. (seriously, it works, im using 16x aniso and 4x AA)