Any Romances?/ Does Gender matter?

#1LordGorbagPosted 1/23/2010 4:45:20 AM
Are there any romances in this game?

I know there was a small romance quest in Divine Divinity with an Elf.

It may be strange, but I usually choose my gender based on the voice I like.

I'm guessing that Mindreading will play a role in the romances....:)

We can change genders, right? So, I guess we can do multiple romances.

Thanks!
#2stethnorunPosted 1/23/2010 4:59:19 PM
You are getting way ahead of yourself in planning this out. The game is simply not that advanced. They went out of their way to make almost everything that people say to you gender-neutral. And the few times when you think gender would matter (like hitting on a female superior) it's the same in both cases (ie a female hero will hit on the female commander in the exact same way a male hero would, and get the EXACT same reaction in return).

So think about the time and effort that went into Dragon Age's adapted story telling (always noting your gender, race, profession and even the city you grew up in)...and then expect the exact opposite in this game. That is, zero time and effort spent on that stuff.
#3LordGorbag(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2010 7:17:23 PM
That's a good analogy.

Actually, I'm playing Dragon Age and alternating with this game. I like this game for bashing enemies, the graphics are nicer, and it seems easier to control.

But Dragon Age has a lot more story/character depth.It also seems more serious. Divinity II, so far, is much lighter.

I really liked Divine Divinity (except for the end) when I played it, so it's fun to play this game too.

I'm still trying to decide which game to finish first.

Okay, so there are romances, but they're not all that deep.

Thanks!
#4stethnorunPosted 1/24/2010 9:23:35 AM
Well I'm only a little into the game so far. No romances yet and I seriously doubt there will be any either.

Though honestly, I can't imagine why RPG romances are all that big of a deal to you. There has never been a good or believable romance in an video game yet. Like, ever.
#5LordRikerQPosted 1/30/2010 10:00:49 AM

No romances, unfortunatly if you want romance your only options is Bioware Games. Most notably Dragon Age, Mass Effect and the newly released Mass Effect 2. I cant think of any other RPG off hand that has romances but im afraid none for Divinity 2.

#6virumorPosted 1/30/2010 9:18:59 PM
Witcher has romances. At one point you're even forced to choose, and this choice has actual gameplay consequences.
#7RogerioFMPosted 1/31/2010 3:38:54 PM
Except in the Witcher, I never liked game romance. It always make feel pathetic, I do have a girlfriend, but the thought of searching for virtual girlfriends always made me cringe. I say except the Witcher because the character, not you, know them from a long time, so it's not a sentiment that was created on the battlefield, it seemed like a natural course, so it makes sense.

Take Triss for instance Geralt already had a long time history with her. The other women on other hand felt stupid, of course with exception of the hookers, but it is nothing you could call romance then again. The cards were cool though.
#8stethnorunPosted 1/31/2010 10:59:03 PM
You found the romances stupid (I agree, they were) but the cards were cool? The cards were the most pathetic part of the whole thing. Not only did the game sink into the "bone a woman as some goal on a gaming checklist" crap...but it gave you some virtual trading card for the experience? Sorry that just drives the point home even further. These aren't real characters to become invested in and value as part of a good story. They are just objects to be used and half-naked pictures for sad little teen boys to self-pleasure to. It's pandering of the worst sort.
#9Skel1Posted 2/14/2010 1:34:20 PM
I thought Geralt sleeping around added a lot of depth to the game. As a man, you're telling me that if you were an amazing swordsman fighting off hordes of evil, you wouldn't be trying to bone all the hot chicks you met on the way? Geralt sleeping around humanized the character and made the relationships with EVERYONE much more 'real' as a side effect. Actually, the witcher was one of the best role playing games EVER, and I have very little (if anything) negative to say about the game.
#10lindallisonPosted 2/15/2010 12:08:31 PM

Skel1 posted...
I thought Geralt sleeping around added a lot of depth to the game. As a man, you're telling me that if you were an amazing swordsman fighting off hordes of evil, you wouldn't be trying to bone all the hot chicks you met on the way? Geralt sleeping around humanized the character and made the relationships with EVERYONE much more 'real' as a side effect. Actually, the witcher was one of the best role playing games EVER, and I have very little (if anything) negative to say about the game.

It's very convenient that witchers are sterile and std-proof, Geralt was built to be a love machine - The sex in the Witcher was comical and harmless. I like how right in the beginning you revive Triss from a terrible magic coma and six seconds later she bangs you if you choose the 'polite' response in the dialogue tree...

As for Divinity 2, don't you get to build your ideal mate out of body parts or something?