Spoilers - thoughts on ending....

#1Skel1Posted 2/18/2010 7:30:26 PM
I liked it.

---
Arguing on the internet since 1997
http://patrickavella.com
#2YarielPosted 2/19/2010 5:23:16 AM
well I like it myself ...
tough some people rather have a good candied ending ...
I like this better since there'll be more strong line for the next Divinity story ...
just like the previous one ... this will make a strong good legend from all Divinity series ...
#3IamJohnyDPosted 2/19/2010 7:34:04 AM
How can you like this? it's gonna go in story as one of the worst endings ever , along with fable and halo. the question is not having a fairy tale ending, you could fight damian and for some reason be imprisioned, but you are on hall of echoes killing damned one servants, and then you just teleport to the past and change your entire personality just because, then even most stupidly you appear in an ice prison magicly , it's just a stupid stupid ending.
#4Skel1(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2010 4:26:10 PM
along with halo fable half life one doom and 5 billion other games that end with eternal damnation?
#5YarielPosted 2/19/2010 5:42:53 PM
eternal damnation ...
like the curse about "the hero story must end happily ever after" ?
we need something more realist that the world should be cruel and merciless no matter we try ...
well, in Fable I, you could choose to wear the mask and think it as the worst ending ...
(the demon in the mask kill your village people, make blind your sister, killing your parent in the process and might kill your sister too)
BTW, if you put logic based Divinity world, then those Ice prison is quite explainable too ...
enjoy every second in the gameplay since you pay every cent for it ...
(that's my motto OoO ) that's why I like Newgame+ since it's replayable ...

tough .. to be honest ... it's kinda sad if you are being dictated by 1 ending ...
should be 2 bad ending and 1 good ending ...
but if that's happen then the stories won't connect with the next Divinity series ... damn ...
#6Cheator13Posted 2/21/2010 11:31:04 AM
I think its wicked awesome
AND it leave the door wide open for the next game
#7YarielPosted 2/21/2010 7:25:50 PM
I guess multi ending might only available in the Final series of Divinity ...
now that's quite epic if that's happen ... paving the legend and deciding the final result would be a GRAND ...
#8GaelstromPosted 2/21/2010 9:06:23 PM
A happy ending is not a curse, in fact there is no point in a story without resolution. And while resolution can be sad or tragic in some way, like a Shakespearean tragedy, you actually get a lesson on human folly. What exactly have we learned? There is nothing to be gained from a tragic, crappy ending where everyone dies. I call these the "Everyone ****ing Dies" endings, and they are by FAR worse than any happy ending in existence, because the writers somehow believe that they're doing something deep and profound, when in reality, all they were is lazy. Happy endings at least grant people hope, uplifting feelings, positivity, something that the world can sometimes lack for normal people. People who pretend it's more realistic that everything sucks and then you die just have pathetic lives themselves.

This story at the very least has the awesome, strong potential to go somewhere with a future game. Seeing the recovery of Rivellon will make this ending SO worth it, as then it will become a truly epic story, much the way Legacy of Kain went. But if they leave it at this, what does it say? Humanity is screwed and will die? There's no point to anything because we'll kill ourselves anyway? It's useless and pointless. If that's what people want, I just tell them "Give yourself your own happy ending then and kill yourself, because that's exactly what you want."

I'm sick of people thinking that endings suck unless they are somehow crappy and tragic like their own lives. That is not an ending, or the purpose of a story. What the problem is is we're saturated with happy endings that are not earned. They happen without much recognizable character in the hero or heroin. Earned happy endings hit you harder in a positive way than any tragic ending ever could, but they are relatively rare outside of good books these days. If this series goes the way it seems, with another game on the way with true resolution, they'll have truly, truly impressed me with the level of setup they have.

Best part is, they can easily use the same engine and graphics level and have no problem using the same assets and getting this out in a year, year-and-a-half. Hope they're smart enough to do that.
#9YarielPosted 2/22/2010 6:47:30 AM
well, I'm not exactly hates good ending ... but it's just ... OoO ...
it's just that with this kind of ending ... we'll have more motivation to play the next game ...
(like need more heroic, motivation to win against evil, etc)
beside it won't be strange if the next plot is making Damian being betrayed by the one he loved and become the main heroes instead, thus releasing the hero of Beyond Divinity and Divinity II ... any good plot can be started with the bad ending ... but the opposite will crush the first impression of the new gameplay in the new series ...

just think if you play a new Divinity series (or any other game) with the setting about peace being destroyed by evil ... instead that, you'll start your journey to make freedom from something that already bad ... the "old rule" and the feeling from you to play the game ... including your motivation to play game has already different from the start ...

about the graphic ... I never think any of trilogy Divinity have any poor graphic at their time ...
the are quite good IMO ... compared to other 3rd person view RPG ...
I want to enjoy game more, in endless gaming and endless joy to play it ...
and in case the game finished, I hope for continuity ...
so that will worth every second of my time and every cent I paid for the game ...
#10Cheator13Posted 2/22/2010 11:27:45 AM
"What exactly have we learned?"

Don't trust disembodied voices telling you to do funny stuff?