Upgrade preferences?

#1vacantspacePosted 1/18/2010 1:27:43 PM

Just started Part Three - Paging the Crime Doctor; got three upgrades: v1 and 2 batsuit, and the remote batarang (feels natural already - homage to Dark Sector!)

What's the best route to go down for a preferred stealth player in your opinion? Max out armor/batarang for gun thugsor go for a more balanced combo upgrade style for when I have to mix it up with regular goons?

#2eutsguedenPosted 1/18/2010 4:30:19 PM
There's a tactic people (including me) use, and that is to save one upgrade point at all times and wait until there's a boss fight in which you are about to die. Use the point on a batsuit upgrade and you will be given full health. Of course this means you won't be able to upgrade your batsuit as much and you'll always be automatically taken to the upgrade screen when you open your map, but IMO it's a small price to pay.

If you just don't wanna do that, I suggest balancing your upgrades between combos and gadget upgrades. Combos are always handy in fights, but gadgets will make riddles easier to get.
---
"The Grimace & Ronald McDonald did that to me last Saturday, only difference is that they used giant french fries." - SSJGrimReaper
#3vacantspace(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2010 2:13:05 PM

There's a tactic people (including me) use, and that is to save one upgrade point at all times and wait until there's a boss fight in which you are about to die. Use the point on a batsuit upgrade and you will be given full health. Of course this means you won't be able to upgrade your batsuit as much and you'll always be automatically taken to the upgrade screen when you open your map, but IMO it's a small price to pay.

If you just don't wanna do that, I suggest balancing your upgrades between combos and gadget upgrades. Combos are always handy in fights, but gadgets will make riddles easier to get

Hey, thanks :)

Good tip - kinda like rinsing a gun in Resi 4 and 5 to the min. just before a capacity upgrade= free top-up!

FTR I've gone for combo and Batarang level ups on the way - combo for the times I've had to mix it up, and Batarang as props to Dark Sector where I learned to spin a 'rang with deadly intent ;)

I'll go for the riddles on Hard,when I know the maps well :)

#4SkydudePosted 1/23/2010 2:41:37 PM
I feel like hard is the way the devs WANT you to play the game. I personally found it too easy on normal, especially with the BRIGHT NEON SIGNS above an attacking enemy's head.

Also, Dark Sector is a fun, underappreciated game.
---
Jesus loves everyone!
Except people still whining about the refs in Super Bowl XL or XLIII. He's sick of your complaining.
#5vacantspace(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2010 3:15:34 PM

Yeh Skydude, I'm mostly stealthy so I guess I'll leave the soOper doOper Bat Gel upgrades till later?

Seriously, I'm gonna go w/ the Batarang upgrades

What you said - Dark Sector, wasn't Unreal engine, was an entirely new one 'Evolution Engine' and it seems to have dropped off the map, so to speak?

Arkham gives the best of both worlds IMO - you can Metal Gear or Tekken Force it - and it does work both paths ;)

#6gnerdusPosted 1/23/2010 3:52:48 PM
Yeah the rang is great to upgrade but so is gettiong inverted takedown. Make sure to get the sonic rang ASAP so you can lure guards away from the pack (there is also an upgrade that lets you detonate it to take out guards without traps.)
---
"What are you staring at? Oh no, dream on pipsqueak. It's not gonna happen" - Larxene
#7SkydudePosted 1/23/2010 9:36:45 PM
The sonic detonator one only works once per room, though. I don't think I ever actually used the sonic 'rang, I just hopped around and took out guys one by one, and there was usually only one set that went in pairs, so if they were still together when I was done clearing out the rest of the armed guys (which you REALLY need to be careful about on hard, or they'll cut you to pieces in seconds) I'd take them out with double 'rangs and swoop in to finish them off.
---
Jesus loves everyone!
Except people still whining about the refs in Super Bowl XL or XLIII. He's sick of your complaining.
#8Garquille14Posted 1/26/2010 4:59:18 PM
I just get all gadgets first. I didn't get any batsuit upgrades the entire game. There's too many ways to not get hit to justify wasting a potential gadget on more health.
---
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
~ A. Einstein
#9TurbanSurprisePosted 1/27/2010 10:40:25 AM
Inverted Takedown followed by multi-rangs. The sonic one can be quite useful at times on hard.

Other than that, I don't really care too much for the other upgrades.
---
Not changing sig until chewbacca wins WWE title started 6/12/07
#10DrJawlessPosted 1/30/2010 7:38:59 AM
I took inverted takedown then all the armours. The combo upgrades i only ever really use in the challenges.

I got the first sonic batarang late in the game, but i found it very useful. In a few rooms with 5+ armed henchmen, i would find a quiet spot and plant some explosives. Throw a sonic rang, jump up into an air duct and blow up any henchmen that come to have a look. I did it about 4 times in a room with 7 guards and took out 5 of them, since i got one lucky double.
---
Gametag: Jawless Dan
Every morning while i get ready for work, my wife always asks for some old Dicken's Cider.