Whats Ambient Occlusion?

#1thingta42Posted 10/6/2010 6:43:24 AM

Trying out the demo and so far not impressed with the framerate, so im playing around with the settings. But what should i turn off to increase proformance?

#2CrazyAlbatrossPosted 10/7/2010 5:27:47 PM
physx
---
No power in the 'Verse can stop me
#3CYBORG112Posted 10/8/2010 4:48:37 AM
Try this in order

Physx
Anti-aliasing
Ambient occlusion
Dynamic shadows
Spherical harmonic lighting
Bloom
Fog volumes
Motion blur
Lower level of detail
Lower resolution

If its still laggy after disabling all of the above, then you need an upgrade.
Also if youv found out what setting is causing your lag, then turn it off and turn the other settings back up, see if the performance is still okay. Its all about experimentation.

And go to google images and search Ambient Occlusion. It kinda gives shadows to the edges of things, makes the textures pop out more because of that.

---
Cyborg112 The Legendary Hero Of Robots..
Not Changing My Sig Till My Batterie Dies...
#4tooguapoPosted 10/22/2010 2:50:01 AM
imagine a dark room with a single window with white curtains on it on a sunny day. The light does not directly light up any paritcular spot of the room, the curtains will diffuse the light and spread it around evenly. As simple as it is, that is ambient occlusion.

Takes quite a bit of processing power. Even with quad core and a GTX 285, I cant turn this on for warcraft and expect silky smooth framerates.
#5revolverPosted 10/22/2010 6:48:18 PM
PhysX turned to high cuts my framerate in half here running it with a 8800 GTS 512. Running with normal physics lets me max everything else at 60 fps.

---
Still has a glimmer of hope for Shenmue III
#6StreetFighter10Posted 10/23/2010 7:56:39 AM
Ambient light that has been occluded. Which means blocked in some way. In other words, soft shadows from diffuse light. It's hardly noticeable when it's on or off to be honest. You have to look for it, supposedly adds a bit of depth to the visuals. Even in direct comparison videos it's hard to notice it. I don't think graphics are really at the point where subtle details like that mean anything, no one is likely to turn on Batman:AA and go "OMG, THAT LOOKS REAL!"