As great as this game looks, I'm still quite disappointed. . .

#1AtrumRuinaPosted 7/8/2009 12:46:08 PM
I suppose it's my own doing really. When the announcement of a new Castlevania was first made, I hoped -- probably more than I have even for a sequel to Legacy of Kain: Defiance (see sig) -- that perhaps someone had realized that a 2D game COULD sell well on a current-gen console. I imagined a game that could easily surpass Symphony of the Night; a game with high-resolution 2D sprites, a game with deep, orchestral music only possible on a disc-driven game, a game with a dark, gothic ambiance which only one game has truly captured in the series (or maybe a bright, gory game like Bloodlines.)

Instead we're given what one might expect -- an adventure game in the vein of GoW and DMC with lots of exploration, very impressive current-gen graphics and (with some suprise) amazing voice talent. Not a bad setup by any means but. . .I don't know, not what could have been I guess. I'm hard pressed to believe that this game will feel different than other action games this generation, especially given that we don't even have the Castlevania mythos to fall back on. I'm glad IGA is no longer involved in the project (since SotN I'm fairly let down by what he's done with the series, A/DoS not withstanding) so hopefully we'll get some fresh ideas but that's about all I can expect. Here's hoping.
---
"Suppose you throw a coin enough times. . .suppose one day, it lands on its edge." -Kain
#2semianonymousPosted 7/8/2009 10:11:59 PM

IGA is still making a game. It is on the PS3/360, and it is quite possibly 2D.

Remember, this game is off being made by a company that has no prior involvement with the series, while playing no role in the series at all. Its just kinda there, sharing the name and characters and probably little else.

#3AtrumRuina(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2009 9:33:12 AM
To my understanding there has been no follow-up on the original trailer that I'm assuming you're referring to. I was under the impression that it had been accepted that this is the 360 CV that was referred to in that announcement, however they'd adopted the Lords of Shadow game into it rather than making it an SotN follow up. Considering the "Untitled Castlevania Project" board is missing, I'd be willing to guess GameFAQs thinks the same.
---
"Suppose you throw a coin enough times. . .suppose one day, it lands on its edge." - Kain
#4onedustybabyPosted 7/9/2009 10:26:59 AM
The game looks fine, if you want SOTN game play wait for Shadow Complex.
#5semianonymousPosted 7/10/2009 1:02:28 PM

Steel Roses01800 posted...
To my understanding there has been no follow-up on the original trailer that I'm assuming you're referring to. I was under the impression that it had been accepted that this is the 360 CV that was referred to in that announcement, however they'd adopted the Lords of Shadow game into it rather than making it an SotN follow up. Considering the "Untitled Castlevania Project" board is missing, I'd be willing to guess GameFAQs thinks the same.

Its pretty obvious gamefaqs/spot (seeing as how they are exactly the same) knows nothing, seeing as how they have the description for IGA's game up for LoS, which causes occasional confusion since it talks about Alucard.

Lords of Shadow was originally announced as just Lords of Shadow, and IGA's game was shown seperately at TGS 08, against his wishes. He apparently wanted to show gameplay but it wasn't ready, so Konami made him show what we got. It really boils down to this:

If LoS was originally a new IP: IGA's game is more likely gone. Konami didn't like it, the game was canned, and they slapped the title and Kojima to make up for it.

If LoS was always a Castlevania from day one (which it was, according to the marketing teams. Take it with a grain of salt): IGA's game is quite likely not canned, as that means it started after LoS and Konami wanted to show it off.

#6e105betaPosted 7/10/2009 1:33:02 PM
So basically, semianonymous is trying to say that IGA's game is quite likely not canned.
---
When there are no doubts left -- Things become clear.
Peace and quiet are only for the bore[d]...
#7AtrumRuina(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2009 7:43:58 PM
Actually, he's saying it's quite likely that the original IGA game has been replaced with the Lords of Shadow game which (according to most peoples' belief, including my own) was not originally supposed to be a Castlevania title and, as such, is probably canned.

If CV: LoS was always a CV -- which, again, is doubtful -- it was announced before IGA's trailer, meaning that they knew about one CV before announcing another Alucard-related CV, which would make it likely that they intend to release two games.
----
"Suppose you throw a coin enough times. . .suppose one day, it lands on its edge." -Kain
#8e105betaPosted 7/10/2009 8:03:17 PM
You guys are all deluded.
"Most people's" belief changed when they came out and said that this was always a Castlevania. You can call it cautious, but it's delusion to hold onto this steadfast belief that the developers are lying to us, simply so you can use that as another reason to discredit the game and hang on to your dying breed of games which has been declining in sales ever since Symphony of the Night.

Symphony of the Night was an excellent game, but what made it so great is that it was something new and revolutionary, that, in the Castlevania series, there was nothing like it. An HD 2.5D game would just be a shiny Symphony of the Night. If that's your thing, all the more power to you, but this is a Lords of Shadow board. This board exists to discuss Lords of Shadow, not gripe about AlucardVania 2. If you have complaints about LoS, the make them, but this baseless whining and complaining is really starting to annoy me, and I know I'm not the only one.
---
#9semianonymousPosted 7/11/2009 12:37:47 AM

I'm saying its 50/50. I'm in favor of it not being canned, because I quite like IGA's work. Hire a level designer that has some sort of allergy to copy-paste levels and suddenly every game is improved 10fold.

I also gave up on trying to decide if the game was originally a CV or not. I mean, it clearly was designed with CV as inspiration, but I still don't quite buy the whole "Oh yeah it was CV in the first place and we just decided to wait a year to tell you also Kojima" bit. I suppose the only way to figure out would require a camo suit, blue prints of Mercurysteams building and a ticket to spain.

We'll know what all's going down sooner or later, if we get word on IGA's game that says it isn't canned, then it isn't canned. As long as we don't get a DN:F on our hands, I'm good. Just solid confirmation that we will play this game between now and the next 5 years.

#10e105betaPosted 7/11/2009 9:19:59 AM
In the end, though, it doesn't really matter.
I get the feeling we're not going to learn much about the game until it comes out, since Enric wants it to be a surprise, so when it comes to "Is this game going to be good or not?" or "Is this game going to be Castlevania or not?" we'll just have to wait.
---