Just got the game, DLC's worth it?

#1Justice98405Posted 2/13/2012 8:20:29 PM
I'd have to get a points card, but I'm just wondering. I know this board is basically dead, but I'm hoping someone will be around and reply.
I got the game off Newegg for 12.99 a week or so ago, and it arrived today. The demo was alright, as long as I didn't think of it as a Castlevania game, and only as an action/God of War type of game, in which case it was cool, certainly worth getting for 13 dollars.
The DLC summaries off XBL make them sound interesting, but I'm just wondering on opinions. Are they cool, and worth 800 points each?
---
To the mattresses.
PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#2simpoldoodPosted 2/14/2012 1:34:27 AM(edited)
To me, the story and action were worth it but the XBL and PSN purchase price for both DLCs
were way too expensive for the small amount of content in them.

The DLCs were both too short. I liked playing and completing them though.
---
Castlevania LoS walkthru channel:
www.youtube.com/On3ManCr3w
#3Justice98405(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2012 4:41:34 AM
I'm not really concerned with their length, as long as the content is cool/ogood.
I guess if I get all the way through the game to the end, I'll get 'em.
Thanks.
---
To the mattresses.
PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#4The_AbhorrentPosted 2/14/2012 6:40:59 PM
The content of the DLC is of reasonably high quality; but at already noted, a bit too expensive for the amount of content they contain. It should be noted that they are strictly post-game content; taking place, and only accessible, after you defeat the final boss. The game itself consists of twelve "chapters" (with all but one of them having multiple stages), and the DLC content are chapters 13 & 14 (Reverie and Ressurection respectively).

This is a case where it's not a bad idea to hold out getting the DLC until after you've finished the game itself, then you can decide whether or not you want to go onto the DLC chapters or not. On the bright side, and unlike a lot of other DLC out there, this is entirely extra content; introducing some new stuff to do and finishing off with a challenging (and unique) boss.

Also, the demo actually doesn't do a great job of showing off the game (I believe it's only the first two levels, it's been a while); fortunately, it works out in the direction of being more positive. The third level of the game is more or less the first "real" level, where it first stretches it's legs beyond the pure combat angle; while the game never gets too deep into the exploration aspects, there is a fair bit of platforming to do as well (controls might take some getting used to, but work great once you get used to their quirks).

It's certainly not a Metroidvania game (such as all the SotN-based titles which have dominated the franchise for the last decade, not that it's an entirely bad thing), more of a throwback to the earlier games of the franchise. The gameplay certainly has some resemblance to the God of War series, but it's often forgotten that Castlevania: Lament of Innocence predates them and has fairly similar gameplay.
---
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.
#5LordoftheCastlePosted 2/14/2012 10:46:04 PM
The gameplay certainly has some resemblance to the God of War series, but it's often forgotten that Castlevania: Lament of Innocence predates them and has fairly similar gameplay.

God of War and LoI are nothing alike.
---
Meet me bak at mah castle 4 sum wiked storwies...
There will be delicious /cake/ :3