How to solve certain sound/graphics problems with this games

#1problemsolver88Posted 11/28/2008 11:11:00 PM
Ok I have read one too many topics on one too many sites where people are having the same types of problems but various degrees of them. So i have put together the most comprehensive helpful information as I could.

IMPORTANT NOTE BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
This topic is for people who have legally purchased and downloaded the game in North America from Steam

If you torrented this or obtained it any other way than paying for it please do not post about it here.

GENERAL INFORMATION

1) This game is both XP and Vista compatiable
2) Rumors are saying you need direct X 10 to play this without a problem on either XP or Vista this is however a rumor and to be taken at face value
3) This game is ONLY AVAILABLE for download on Steam and has not been released on PC as a disc as of this topic.
4) This topic is strictly for fixing the known sound and graphics issues with this game. if you have done everything listed in this topic and it still doesn't work then I can't do anything further for you as this is all the help I can give.

Too many people having problems are not understanding that there are certain requirements you need to meet in order to play this game. Such as this game doesn't support certain sound cards and or graphics cards. So check everything before saying something.

Update all your drivers for both you're video and sound cards then try to launch the game. If the game still doesn't launch or you are still having problems with it, then check the lists below for troubleshooting solutions.

If you are experiencing any of the following problems then try the solution below

GENERAL ISSUES
Game doesn't launch due to a missing .dll issue

SOUND ISSUES
1) You have no sound during the cinema cuts but sound during the game
2) You have sound during the game but no sound during cinema cuts
3) Buzzing and garbled sound during the game and or cinema cuts

GRAPHICS ISSUES
1) Choppy graphics
2) Out of Sync subtitles
3) Game Freezes
4) Game doesn't freeze but certain things in the game do (I.E the orderly at the beginning)
5) out of place or double graphics (I.E a door opens while remaining shut so you get 2 doors)

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Every time you install a file and or program, reboot your computer

SOLUTIONS
If the game doesn't launch due to a missing .dll file then you can go here to get the missing .dll file:
http://www.dll-files.com/

==============

SOUND ISSUE SOLUTION
If you downloaded the latest drivers and it still doesn't work then try the following:
Install the vcredist_x86.exe that came with the game

If that doesn't work then go to the link below and download the dxwebsetup.exe from one of the mirrors
http://www.filewatcher.com/m/dxwebsetup.exe.315624.0.0.html

If that still doesn't work then go to the link below and download directx_nov2008_redist.exe from one of the mirrors
http://findfiles.com/list.php?string=directx_nov2008_redist.exe&size=90435952&db=Mirrors

==============

NEXT DOWNLOAD THIS FILE AND FOLLOW THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
http://boris-vorontsov.narod.ru/silenthill5patch7.zip

Reboot your computer again and when you launch the game it should now work
If not then I have no idea what the problem could be.

Also with the exception of the http://boris-vorontsov.narod.ru/silenthill5patch7.zip file, every file can be downloaded from the official Microsoft update/download page so if you don't trust the links here then go to the MS site and get them there as they are the same exact files

Hope this helps

Post back and let me know if this helped
#2problemsolver88(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2008 11:22:01 PM
I forgot to mention that, after doing the fixes and installing the http://boris-vorontsov.narod.ru/silenthill5patch7.zip file, every time I exit the game, it crashes upon shutting down. This is at least what happens to me. however this doesn't bother me considering I am exiting out of the game so this is not even an issue with me.

One last thing is that this game does support an xbox 360 controller, however, the in game/on screen buttons, as well as the menu's, show numbers instead of the standard 360 buttons, but you don't really take notice to it after a while. If you are that worried about it then use XPADDER or JOYTOKEY and then you don't have to worry about seeing the numbers on the screen.

Even though you are free to use whatever means you would like to play, I strongly advise the use of a controller instead of the keyboard and mouse because of the sole purpose is that this is a port and not an original PC game.

but again this is just a suggestion not to be taken as a YOU MUST issue.

Well again have fun!
#3KirbysuperstarPosted 11/29/2008 3:45:29 AM
however, the in game/on screen buttons, as well as the menu's, show numbers instead of the standard 360 buttons

Hah. Bit ironic, seeing as most other 360-PC ports show the 360 buttons regardless of you using KB/M or another gamepad.
---
http://twigfigure.devfiles.net/gamelist/ - updated 25/05/08
Board 580017: Dark Tower. Be there.
#4problemsolver88(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2008 7:16:15 AM
Hah. Bit ironic, seeing as most other 360-PC ports show the 360 buttons regardless of you using KB/M or another gamepad.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. And this is what happens when companies rush to get things out before anyone else, just to get a name for themselves, especially Steam.

This isn't the first game that Steam has messed up, But that's Steam for you.

This aspect will most likely be fixed when the actual disc version gets released.
#5yellofellojpPosted 11/30/2008 9:44:07 PM
NEXT DOWNLOAD THIS FILE AND FOLLOW THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
http://boris-vorontsov.narod.ru/silenthill5patch7.zip

I'm sorry but do you even know what this patch fixes? This is a part of the ENB Series custom ATI Radeon drivers. The patch is designed to allow X1xxx series Radeon cards to run the game through some coding trickery. It will more likely than not, cause additional problems for those who do not own the hardware this patch is specifically designed for. Not to mention it's the work of a bedroom coder who (although admittedly very skilled) cannot ensure the stability and integrity of your personal hardware configuration.

TL;DR - that file is NOT a cureall. DO NOT MESS WITH IT UNLESS YOU KNOW THE RISKS AND HAVE READ THE DOCUMENTATION which problemsolver clearly has not.
---
XBL: HPQT
#6SiegaltPosted 12/1/2008 8:10:52 AM
2) Rumors are saying you need direct X 10 to play this without a problem on either XP or Vista this is however a rumor and to be taken at face value

Indeed it should be taken as just a rumor... how is one supposed to run the game on DX10 with Windows XP?
---
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong" - Dak'kon, Planescape: Torment
#7problemsolver88(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2008 10:19:07 AM
Indeed it should be taken as just a rumor... how is one supposed to run the game on DX10 with Windows XP?

I have DX10 for XP and so do thousands of other people. There is a way to do it. and I actually found an DX10.exe Installation for XP.

Took me 1/2 hour to find it but it exists.

Post your email or PM it to me on gamespot and I'll send you the link to where I got it.
#8olgert56Posted 12/1/2008 11:37:09 AM

I found directx10 for XP once when i was searching google, but isn't it a beta version and isn't guaranteed to work? anyway, I would appreciate it if you posted the link to where you got it from... Does it work for you? and if it doesn't work for me how do I uninstall it? Do I just reinstall directx 9.0c?

I dont know much about system files so I'm not sure and I don't want to screw up my system although I've done it a lot of times before by messing with it...

#9problemsolver88(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2008 12:31:02 PM
If the one u had didn't work then it's because of the process you used for the installation and or it was the beta version.

The version I have works fine as far as I can tell.

As for un-installing, it won't matter if it's installed or not, if your computer can't use it it won't matter. Besides it takes up about maybe 1 MB max. But if your hell bent on doing it then find the .dll files that got installed and where, and then manual delete them.

If you want me to help you out then send me an email to:
tx3000@gmail.com
#10olgert56Posted 12/1/2008 1:39:53 PM
Oh no...you misunderstood me...I said I searched for it and when I read that it was beta version I decided not to touch it..so I never installed it, no...I'll send you an e-mail in a few minutes though...why can't you post the link here?