Anyway to play this 'offline'?

#1cowboychickenPosted 2/23/2011 11:20:18 PM
Anyway I can use an offline account to play the game or do I have to log in every damn time to play it? I have to admit I'm a little dissapointed with them using GFWL and the aspect ratio locked at 16:9 :( Epic Games why do you hate us pc gamers so much?
---
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
#2ensomneacPosted 2/24/2011 12:10:56 AM

What's the exact problem?

It's like any other GFWL game, you create an offline profile, and set it so it automatically logs in.

With this game, it will still ask you if you want to log in to LIVE when you start it, all you need to do is press Esc or the Home button.

#3JaohPosted 2/24/2011 2:27:44 AM
Sign out, tell it you want to create a new account, then scroll down to make a local account, but you lose all the online features like "achievements" and multiplayer. meh, probably not worth it
---
Ray AP2-
See, there's no way you're as big a loser as me.
#4cowboychicken(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2011 3:48:45 AM
I've done as the above post suggested but every time I want to start it forces me to login, now I do have a local account but it says that it's an offline account and won't allow me to go any further unless I create an online account. I ended up doing so research and found this interesting tid bit:

Originally Posted by Wedge_MSFT View Post
There has been some confusion about 'online' and 'offline' usage of Bulletstorm (and Games for Windows - LIVE in general). Please let me try to make things clearer:

You can sign in 'offline' with a LIVE Enabled profile. This actually happens automatically when there is no internet connection available on your computer when you click 'sign in' for your LIVE account. This allows the user to still have access to their saved games, get achievements, etc while they may not have a connection to the internet.

An 'Offline Profile' is a temporary profile that only exists on your computer and can not connect to LIVE. Most GFWL games allow users to play localy without a LIVE account through this. However since these accounts can't connect to LIVE they are unable to play multiplayer, gain achievements, use downloadable content, etc.

Bulletstorm requires the profile to be able to connect to LIVE in order to play the game and to have a registered 5x5 key that was included with the game. However this does not mean that you can't play single player with that profile in the 'offline' mode described 2 paragraphs above. So if you are out and about traveling or don't have a reliable internet connection you can still enjoy Bulletstorm's single player experience. When asked to 'sign in' just select your LIVE account / profile and it will tell you that it has signed your profile in 'offline' mode. If you then move to a location where there is an internet connection you can open the GFWL Guide with the HOME key and select 'Connect to LIVE' to connect to the service once again.

I hope that clears up some confusion that there has been about this. So in short you CAN play Bulletstorm without an internet connection, after you have successfully loaded / recovered your LIVE Enabled account for the game to your PC once and successfully submitted your 5x5 LIVE access key for the game.

Sourced from: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=27948041

What can I say but 'meh'
---
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
#5JaohPosted 2/27/2011 4:16:09 AM
Yunno, it always asks me to sign in to a LIVE account too, even though I'm using the local/offline method as I described. I just hit ESC and it doesn't bug me anymroe, then i continue my campaign.
---
Ray AP2-
See, there's no way you're as big a loser as me.
#6Glenn_UrbanPosted 2/27/2011 12:02:59 PM
This is the irony of DRM; it doesn't affect people who pirated it in the first place, only the people who actually bought the game have to put up with that...
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Stephen G. Tallentyre aka Evelyn Beatrice Hall
#7MarikhenPosted 2/27/2011 6:30:35 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#8ensomneacPosted 2/27/2011 8:25:35 PM
^^^ It's not even close to legal.

Using workarounds to play something you haven't purchased a license for isn't legal.

Only way to play it legally is to purchase it, there are no grey areas here.
#9Glenn_UrbanPosted 2/27/2011 8:46:49 PM
Well the legality of downloading and spreading the game depends on the nation you live in. For instance here in Sweden it's illegal, but I have yet to hear of anyone who's gotten prosecuted for downloading a game, so it's about as illegal as jaywalking.
Funny thing is the government really can't enforce the laws about copyright infringement since pretty much everyone does it and there's really not enough resources to do it.

However, like I said before, the DRM doesn't hurt the pirate (read p2pers and sceners) since the DRM is nearly always circumvented somehow or outright removed.

The only thing really intrusive DRM does is slow down the cracking process to prevent a 0day release, potentially making more people cave in and buy it. That's all fair and all, but one might think that a week in or so, they could relax the boundaries they've set, seeing as it only hurts the paying customers and doesn't serve its purpose of keeping people from copying the game anymore...
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Stephen G. Tallentyre aka Evelyn Beatrice Hall
#10mohamedxedPosted 2/28/2011 3:23:58 PM

Hitting ESC brings you to the main screen that you have to press Enter, hitting Enter brings a message that i must sign in with live Press space, pressing space gives one of either options create new or play live using existing ... choosing the latter gives me my offline profile (any esc here brings back main menu where you have to press enter) clicking my offline profile tries to sign online which what i don't wanna end up doing ... WTF wrong with this game ... i HATE microsoft :evil: