Gargoyle Crossbow or Heavy Crossbow?

#1Rude HeroPosted 7/3/2010 2:39:28 PM
Is it even worth getting into the habit of using Crossbows? I'm not particularly fond of the L1 aiming with the normal bow, and seldom use them other than on those god awful manta rays in 4-1 and 4-2 and on rock worms. I am primarily melee above all else so I didn't think crossbows would be too bad trade up.

From what I can tell however there are only like, three crossbows in the game? I have the heavy crossbow but I wonder if any crossbow users/advanced players recommend farming the Gargoyle Crossbow, and if so does it have any distinct advantages over the Heavy. Thanks in advance =)
---
"You do realise that if Santa Claus were real, he would be the biggest unlawful trespasser in history, right?" - Miles Edgeworth
#2ChankkPosted 7/3/2010 2:46:18 PM
crossbows are a waste, period... they exist solely for Biorr to look better than you because in a player's hands they're garbage
#3Rude Hero(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2010 2:50:35 PM
A pity =/
---
"You do realise that if Santa Claus were real, he would be the biggest unlawful trespasser in history, right?" - Miles Edgeworth
#4Fearce1Posted 7/3/2010 2:53:55 PM
he's right, crossbows arent worth the usage. the gargoyle crossbow has added magic damage but really heave so like i said, none are worth using.
---
PSN: BLUDSHOT8900
I deploy 8/10/10 USAF
#5Domicile01Posted 7/3/2010 2:56:15 PM
Gargoyle Xbow is actually weaker than the heavy, but it scales with magic. If you're primarily melee, I'm going to guess you haven't pumped magic stat, so I would suppose the heavy xbow would be better for you. That being said ... xbows are meh.
#6ChankkPosted 7/3/2010 2:56:23 PM
post reveal
#7DuneManPosted 7/3/2010 9:33:26 PM
Crossbows have zero advantages. The lack of stat scaling on most is just crippling compared to bows, you can't enter Sniper Mode, the ammo is twice as expensive compared to arrows, and the longer reload time leaves you totally vulnerable after firing a shot (you can two-hand the crossbow to reduce this time somewhat, but it is still too long compare to a bow).

The Gargoyle Crossbow does have a distinct feature though, magic damage. It starts at 50 base attack, 10 physical and 40 magic, making it the weakest. But it scales up to 90 base attack, making it the strongest entry in the weakest category of weapons. It also has the longest effective range, which is itself completely useless because you can't use Sniper Mode. I suppose you could try to manually aim it though, but this isn't Armored Core 2/AA, and the Crossbows are no Rockets.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
*please use the Search Topics option, at the bottom of the page, before posting*