This or Dark Souls first?

#1Hero_DunbanPosted 9/22/2012 12:39:35 AM
Well hello there, denizens of this board. I'm going to buy either Demon's Souls or Dark Souls tomorrow; figured I'd come here and ask which of the two I should buy first. My internet is atrocious, so online doesn't really factor into the equation for me. Hopefully you guys can steer me toward the better choice! Apologies if this question has been asked ad nauseum already.
---
Let's press on.
#2ilovebekahPosted 9/22/2012 12:43:04 AM
Well, I haven't played ALOT of demons souls, but here's my opinion after about 5 hours of demons souls, coming from 300+ hours of Dark Souls:

If you want to play a more polished, more fun game FIRST, and then ruin your expectations for the second one, play Dark Souls first (see note at the bottom)

If you want to experience it the way it should be experienced, play demons souls first.

Note:

While I say it ruins your expectations, for me personally, I just find Demons Souls to be very hard. But it's hardness to me seems artificial. Dark Souls was hard because you had to learn the fights, Demons Souls (so far), seems like endless positioning enemies in the worst way possible, to make your life hell. At one point, I was fighting on a 2 foot wide ledge, against an enemy that 2 shots me, with 4 other enemies flying around me throwing spears that also 2 shot me. I very much enjoy the gameplay of Demons Souls, but my deaths in demons souls are INFURIATING because they seem like such crap to me.

Just my personal opinion. I still fully intend to play the hell out of demons souls, it will just take some getting used to.
---
Somewhere.
#3DuneManPosted 9/22/2012 1:52:39 AM
^
Use a Thief's Ring, or go to the sniper spot to shoot down all the Storm Beasts flying over the ledges. Btw, the Thief's Ring was available back in 1-1, in case you didn't get it. It basically toggles 'Easy Mode' when worn.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#4Foxhound3857Posted 9/22/2012 10:25:09 AM
Death in Demons Souls is also more infuriating than Dark Souls because of the gap between checkpoints. Making it all the way to the shanty town just outside of the DIrty Colossus in 5-2 and dying there absolutely sucks because you have to go through SO MUCH CRAP to get back there.
---
My Guitar Hero 3 Wii FC: 4038-8152-2179
#5JonvandammPosted 9/22/2012 10:35:52 AM
Foxhound3857 posted...
Death in Demons Souls is also more infuriating than Dark Souls because of the gap between checkpoints. Making it all the way to the shanty town just outside of the DIrty Colossus in 5-2 and dying there absolutely sucks because you have to go through SO MUCH CRAP to get back there.

Next time, when you get to Shanty Town, locate the shortcut, and life is much easier.

Also 5-2 can be gone thru in 5-6 mins with the Thief ring equipped and without finding the shortcut. Cut that time in half with the shortcut.
---
Ham Nite. It's like a meat ballet!!
#6ilovebekahPosted 9/22/2012 11:11:59 AM
DuneMan posted...
^
Use a Thief's Ring, or go to the sniper spot to shoot down all the Storm Beasts flying over the ledges. Btw, the Thief's Ring was available back in 1-1, in case you didn't get it. It basically toggles 'Easy Mode' when worn.

I'm gonna be honest, I beat Dark Souls with a guide, and it ruined my experience. I'm trying to play this one with as little "guide" as possible, so I'm not searching out easymode items :)
---
Somewhere.
#7DuneManPosted 9/22/2012 11:47:19 AM(edited)
Well, going without the Thief's Ring is certainly a valid personal choice. But in the case of the Shrine of Storms, at least in 4-1, if you're getting shot on the ledges while fighting the Golden Skeletons then it is because you haven't explored the level enough.

The Golden Skeletons for their part can be really easy to beat with a few tricks. While they have hyper armor for their attack animations, you can easily stunlock them if you bumrush them before they have a chance to attack.

In many ways, Demon's Souls is more fair than Dark Souls. Most fights are one on one, and most enemies are quite slow. In the cases where you can pull a group of enemies, there's usually a chokepoint nearby to corral them into your weapon.

Admittedly though Dark Souls reduced a number of enemy layouts in v1.05. As a matter of personal preference, I'd have instead kept the older, harder layouts of enemies and reduced boss scaling in NG+ cycles for demons like the Four Kings.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#8Foxhound3857Posted 9/22/2012 11:40:11 AM
Jonvan, I died just past the old woman, before I could hit the shortcut.
---
My Guitar Hero 3 Wii FC: 4038-8152-2179
#9grzajabarkusPosted 9/23/2012 7:36:27 PM
I would honestly play demons souls first. It came out first and may not be as polished as dark souls. And its the only one I've played of then both. even though I have dark souls day one. Lol. I need to finally platinum this game. Ugh. I just hate farming.
#10djwille88Posted 9/24/2012 12:01:10 PM
They're both great games. Demon's Souls is cheaper so you're better off money wise if the game doesn't tickle that itch.

I actually enjoyed DeS more, still play it on occasion and I've logged 4700 online sessions on that game.