I'm scared of deep water...

#1MeNobodyPosted 3/2/2010 3:58:39 AM
This game caught my eye for a while now and I'm quite interested in this game. But I'm quite afraid of sea 'monsters'.

Let me explain.
I'm currently 18 years old and has Ichthyophobia (fear of fish) and Hydrophobia (fear of water) to an extent.
I love water in beaches and stuff, and games that relate to water (WaveRace for one, and Wind Waker for another) but I really hate gigantic sea creatures that resembles monsters. For example, I had trouble getting the star on the eel's tail on Mario 64. I absolutely HATE Seahats and terrified of them in The Wind Waker, more terrified at them than Giant Octos and the Tornado. The Water Temple's boss in Twilight Princess (I forgot the name) was kinda scary, but I got used to it somehow, though I really didn't want to go close to it.
Big monsters in general are alright, but in water, they are completely different story. I just feel very intimidated and small when I see monsters at sea so I get scared.

On another example, for people who haven't played those games or such. I've been to one of those underwater aquariums and I really couldn't stay there long. Gigantic sharks and turtles kinda scared me, until I watched them enough and got used to it. It's a bit like watching spiders or any bugs/insects. You are scared of them, but you become interested. But I don't think I can really swim next to a whale, or a whale shark.
Are there any Anglefish or any fish that lives near its depth? They really freak me out.

Moreover, this game has caught my eye rather delightly. I love swimming, just that I don't go too well with fish.
Should I get this game?
---
Why do we play games?
Because we all love to pretend
#2Thanos6Posted 3/2/2010 4:17:08 AM
Well, I actually share your fears too. And I would recommend this game as a form of therapy, allowing you to face your fears without any real danger. Even in the game there's no real danger; you're attacked by creatures, you can fight them off. You run out of air, you're automatically brought back to the surface.

So far it's much less scarier than the original game, though both games have parts where you must dive very, very deep, to the point of blackness itself. Or at least, in the first game. I haven't gotten to that part in this game myself, but I'm told it's not as dark.
---
"What a fool!" "He has defeated us numerous times, what makes him think he can do it again?" -Krankor and Tom Servo, MST3K episode #816 'Prince Of Space'
#3thartmann9374Posted 3/2/2010 5:08:58 AM
No. Endless Ocean 2 (PG-13) is more darker than Endless Ocean (G).
#4Thanos6Posted 3/2/2010 5:17:19 AM
Well, I mean actual, absence-of-light dark, not moody dark.
---
"What a fool!" "He has defeated us numerous times, what makes him think he can do it again?" -Krankor and Tom Servo, MST3K episode #816 'Prince Of Space'
#5MeNobody(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2010 5:31:21 AM
The thing I am afraid of is not being attacked by creatures (which I will be scared of anyhow) but the fact that the fish may not look 'beautiful' to me. Like the Anglefish. No sane person would think that fish would be 'cute'. I probably wouldn't even go near a whale or a sea animal of such relative size.
---
Why do we play games?
#6Thanos6Posted 3/2/2010 5:32:55 AM
If you mean anglerfish, then yes, I think there are some of those. There's a ton of "weird" fish and other miscellaneous deep-sea critters.
---
#7MeNobody(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2010 5:46:46 AM
Ugh, that's what I was afraid of...
---
Why do we play games?
#8BlueGunstarHeroPosted 3/2/2010 9:12:03 AM
There are two types of anglerfish, and one of them I can almost guarantee you'd be fine with, since it's only a couple inches long (you can barely see the teeth). The second is about 4 feet, but is slow going and farely easy to ignore.

Can't lie though, the deep can be a bit creepy. Fortunately it's not that big, and you really only spend a little required time there (1 dive) in order to complete the main quest. There's also a required night dive at one location with a shark encounter just to warn you ahead of time.

Other than that, the other dive locations are gorgeous, and most of the bigger animals (a few sharks excluded) are more majestic than scary (usually when you encounter the big whales, the music should keep you at ease).
---
-BGH
#9duskkodeshPosted 3/2/2010 9:54:33 AM
"No sane person would think that fish would be 'cute'"

Hey now, ;_; I find fish to be horribly cute. So much so that I refuse to include them in my diet (also helps me not get mercury poisoning, thank you biomagnification!).

I'm also kinda afraid of certain sharks, so I had my BF play certain parts and get certain data for me while I watched. Eventually I got used to the area and felt secure in just playing myself. It's only fair since he's the one that bought the 50in TV.

Get a friend and watch them play around on it in areas that you feel nervous about. :D
---
Humanity is stupid. Religion is just one of the many, many symptoms. - Justy Tylor
#10WebOfTwilightPosted 3/2/2010 2:06:12 PM
I used to be afraid of the Abyss and the Ship's Rest in the first game, but I eventually got over it because I was tired of being afraid. I had my sister go to the areas I was afraid of and had her fool around in it for me. Once I got used to it, I just went there by myself. The Depths in the second game aren't as bad in my opinion. If I can see a wall then I'm good. Looking around with a friend also helps. :)
---
Our life is made by the death of others. -Leonardo da Vinci