Wow i have never seen a game with such an elitist playerbase

#11NazanirPosted 10/2/2009 12:59:31 AM
It's a beta setting that you get 50 exp per loss, 100 for a win (and need 100exp per level up). I am fairly sure this is going to change with the release of this game. As is the fact that you are going to have to buy runes with ingame currency that you get while playing.
#12SchwartePosted 10/2/2009 11:14:48 AM

Honestly, I don't think the community is much different. It's more limited and as such not as far developed, but the way things are heading should be more than clear to all and everybody.

HoN, LoL and Allstars will all suffer from this phenomenon, just as the real DotA did.

While some of the aspects of this kind of game are recurring in most genres, these Dota-like games require good skill, micro and a good understanding of teamplay. And as you're playing 5on5 for 30-60 minutes, you'll want your team to be right up your alley, skillwise. That this is no excuse for rude behaviour should be clear, but it's naive to think that any game with a player base of 10000+ will be curse-free, if not monitored.

While DotA (and Allstars) never really had a chance to do this, I'm still hopeful that LoL or HoN, will introduce a better matchmaking system.

#13ExortePosted 10/2/2009 2:25:53 PM

Schwarte posted...

Honestly, I don't think the community is much different. It's more limited and as such not as far developed, but the way things are heading should be more than clear to all and everybody.

HoN, LoL and Allstars will all suffer from this phenomenon, just as the real DotA did.

While some of the aspects of this kind of game are recurring in most genres, these Dota-like games require good skill, micro and a good understanding of teamplay. And as you're playing 5on5 for 30-60 minutes, you'll want your team to be right up your alley, skillwise. That this is no excuse for rude behaviour should be clear, but it's naive to think that any game with a player base of 10000+ will be curse-free, if not monitored.

While DotA (and Allstars) never really had a chance to do this, I'm still hopeful that LoL or HoN, will introduce a better matchmaking system.

LoL have Noobie Island now.

#14EndoftheworldXPosted 10/3/2009 9:57:55 AM

I was fortunate enough to have some fairly understanding teammates during my first few noob games, but I can definitely see this happening. That's why I've been digging into private practice games for a while to get some builds down and work out my timings. :P In this game especially though, one bad player could drag your whole team down if they're not careful, so I can also see why people get that upset. Still no excuse though, and as someone else said, I'm pretty sure you could report them to Riot.

#15Kh1ndjalPosted 10/4/2009 7:25:14 AM
considering that when the player pool increases you will be better matched with players of your skill i think this will be less of a problem. in dota when you join a game you can't really tell how skilled your teammates or opponents are or whether there is a premade.
#16furqan212Posted 10/6/2009 11:38:39 AM
blaming this only on the community as being immature or elitist is a bit narrow-minded. there are other factors in play that make your team really freaking mad when you're doing terribly int he beginning.

I think a lot of this is because it's just the way these kinds of DOTA games are: players level and get items over time based on killing the other team... in these games, one really bad player who "feeds" (ie, dies all the time early) can just ruin a game for everyone else. this is because it lets the enemy team get really strong really fast, nullifying the efforts of the rest of the rest of your team. I don't think this is the case as much with CS or other FPS's... if you have a sorry guy on your team, it sucks but he's not gonna sabotage your game (as much) because the other team doesn't level up in game and get massive items. sure they may get some short term momentum boosts, and it may be 7v8 for much of the game, but it's definitely not insurmountable and your team can still win.

In LoL, it becomes a MASSIVE handicap because not only is the noob terrible so it's 4v5, but you've fed the other team to be super powerful early, so it becomes more like 4v7. hence the frustration and name-calling, etc.

---
FC Brawl: 0087-1993-5993|| Nickname: GUnit
#17gommybearPosted 10/6/2009 12:03:10 PM
- Learn from your mistakes instead of repeating them over and over.
- Take advice from people rather than ignoring it or getting defensive about how you are playing.
- Stop blaming your team for every mistake YOU do. Bad players (that don't learn) tend to not realize when they are at fault.

I try to help feeders out with basic advice, but unfortunately the VAST majority just plain don't listen or get defensive. I tell them "oh you should buy some boots" and they either ignore it or lash out. They don't learn from mistakes, they keep tower diving or chasing over and over.

Those types of people deserve the "elitist" hate. And unfortunately it seems like alot of the "noobs" that complain about the community are like this. I've seen some newer players who don't do it, and they NEVER get the type of hate you guys complain about.

Yes there are some jerks who complain about everything. But how about thinking about the fact maybe it's your fault also.
#18CrimsonRipperPosted 10/7/2009 9:51:47 AM
By my experience with this game, the player base is not as bad as i remembered in DotA. But then again maybe I'm an elitist...

Anyways, this game looks soo much better than HoN, which looks EXACTLY like the original DotA (they even ripped off Pudge, right out of there), it doesn't look fun, and I'm not convinced that it could be a worthwhile game.

Right now League of Legends is beginning to shape up to be something interesting, but I'd really love to see more maps (tired of summoner's rift, its DotA map, we get it), but hopefully more playstyles rather than pushing past the enemy turrets.
---
Do you know the golden rule?
"Whoever has the gold, makes the rules."
#19Kcaz64Posted 10/11/2009 2:42:03 PM
(they even ripped off Pudge, right out of there)

I see you've never played Savage 2...

Anyway, first game I joined (not knowing any of the heroes) I did pretty bad. I ended the game 0-3 and the whole time every was just telling me how stupid i was and completely ignored all my attempts to try and understand how the enemy heroes worked.

After that though, there really weren't any problem games. People exagerate.
---
The above post is 100% serious.
#20GhidoranPosted 10/11/2009 3:38:45 PM
You think this is bad? At least this game has some noob friendly options(bots, practice games), and the community tries to make it easier for noobs. HoN has hardly anything like that, and there is much more flaming and elitism.

That said, I still like HoN better, probably because I'm not a noob anymore.
---
And the Heavens | \.. | .../\ ..| > |....../ \
Shall Tremble .....| / ..|.../ \ ..| > |_....\ /