Tried out tanking

#1stonewall_heroPosted 2/12/2010 2:39:49 AM
and my word am I having a blast. I mean, I did it at lower levels then stopped at mid. I was tired of losing games due to lack of tank so I decided to fill whatever role is needed in any game.

We need support? Taric
Need physical dps? Kayle (rarely happens)
Caster? Anivia
Need Tank? Rammus

I have Rammus available only because he was free to beta testers and god damn he was fun at lower levels and now even more fun at higher levels.

One thing I have noticed now that I am tanking is that many players that play tanks suck at them. Only very few players are good tanks and those guy show that by destroying the opposition.

I've seen players play tanks with builds that do not adapt- and by that I mean, casters on the enemy team yet they still stack their regular build instead of leaning to a bit of more MR.

Bad tanks try to act as carries - they fight the enemy and chase them instead of protecting their allies. Many times I have seen a tank try to chase down an enemy while a carry goes wild on his team. I made damn sure not to do this and if a carry gets close to my team I back off my current target and scare that guy away.

Rammus is just tons of fun and I found the remedy to avoiding loses- just take the role that is needed or no one wants to do. Much more likely to win. Also, I cannot play with my friend anymore- he plays too risky for his own good with heroes he shouldn't (corki).
#2NeCrOmAnCeRPosted 2/12/2010 3:10:21 AM

From: stonewall_hero | Posted: 2/12/2010 4:39:49 AM | #001
Need physical dps? Kayle

wat?
---
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/882/murderousmeido.jpg
#3stonewall_hero(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2010 3:23:30 AM
I know kayle is not the optimal choice for physical dps - but seeker spec fills a nice niche. There is never a lack of physical dps in a pug group anyways. Kayle is not enough to be a carry but she's a damn good support and chaser.
#4NeCrOmAnCeRPosted 2/12/2010 3:53:04 AM
Personally I would play Kayle more like a tank/support. Give her a RoA/banshees and shroud and she's really hard to take down, while also giving out immune bubbles 15% faster.
---
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2303/32146188.jpg
#5morrowind97Posted 2/12/2010 7:57:51 AM
I've started tanking with Malphite..When I have competent dps I love it...When everyone is afraid to run in behind me, I hate it.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site
#6RockchosN1Posted 2/12/2010 12:20:35 PM
alistar is awesome. ult made for tanking, lots of hp, spammable heal, and stuns and setups
#7mcksalgPosted 2/12/2010 12:39:59 PM
I like to tank with Amumu or Mundo, they are too fun.

Love mummy stuns always turns the tide in team fights.
#8simcowkingPosted 2/16/2010 6:53:11 PM
Mundo tank? >__> executioner's calling would like to instantly shut down ANY tanking ability of yours.

Tanks that stand out in my mind:

Rammus
Alistar
Singed
Malph
Amumu
Pantheon (AS pantheon negates 1/4th of damage to him for the most part, but he's still a new hero and I have had no LoL play time since he came out honestly, so as far as effectiveness of this I'm guessing on)
Cho? (never played, rarely see anymore too)

Pseudo-tanks

Nunu
Kat
Panteon (see note above)
Nasus
Poppy
Sion

>__>b

Alistar tanks godly, rammus deals high damage to any AS carry (most of them) Malph initiates amazingly, amumu, slightly less amazing, but still a good initiator. Singed tanks great, not perfect, but can take all the slows they have to offer and still reach the team at half health to toss their carry and start the fight >__>b

The pseudo-tanks can be built for tanks or support/damage. I think most on there are support/damage before tanks, but I've yet to play all the champions (nasus, sion, poppy, pantheon, gragas.... just to name a few)

Singed FTW though. Rarely lose a game as him :P
#9VeeVeesPosted 2/16/2010 7:11:03 PM
pantheon can't tank. he's actually quite squishy. the passive only blocks auto attack. good for early harassment but pretty worthless late game.

but i agree rammus is hella fun. especially if you have zilean on your team. SUPERBALL GOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
---
narutu sand ninja
**** charlie brown christmas
#10VordraxPosted 2/17/2010 5:58:23 PM
the passive only blocks auto attack

I know it at least blocks Parrley (granted, it's physical), and I think I've seen it block other abilities as well. I don't play him, just an observation.

Also Physical DPS Kayle isn't that bad, actually. If you play Kayle very aggressively, she's actually pretty ridiculous. For team fights, you have your ult and DPS, that's it. No reason to tank on Kayle, most players won't touch you once you've cast your ult.

---
99% of internet signatures don't end abruptly. If yours is one of the 1% that do, copy and