Help me refine this Tristana Build

#1Xshortguy007Posted 3/29/2010 3:02:39 PM
Currently I have what I think to be a strong opening game in terms of farming gold:

Start with a dagger and a health potion. The first item I go for is the Sword of the Divine, which provides 55% IAS, 100 Magic Damage, and activateable piercing for negligent heroes. The point of this item is that, when used in conjunction with her Explosive Shot, makes her incredible at farming and clearing mobs quickly.

From here, I proceed to get a Boots of Mobility, and then a Malady.

My question is what to choose from here. Currently I've been picking the Wit's End for the mana burn and more attack speed, but I feel like there are better options at this point. Any suggestions on how to pick my remaining items? After I get my sixth item, I then replace the Sword of the Divine with something like an Infinity Edge.

The skills that I choose are Buster Shot > Explosive Shot > Rocket Jump > Rapid Fire, where "A > B" is used to denote that I will pick A over B if A can be learned at that given level. In other words, I go

1. Explosive Shot
2. Rocket Jump
3. Explosive Shot
4. Rocket Jump
5. Explosive Shot
6. Buster Shot
7. Explosive Shot
8. Rocket Jump
9. Explosive Shot
10. Rocket Jump
11. Buster Shot
12. Rocket Jump
13 - 15. Rapid Fire
16. Buster Shot
17 - 18. Rapid Fire

---

http://www.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ or www.dianahacker.com/rules
#2RaydricLordPosted 3/29/2010 3:18:57 PM
From here, I proceed to get a Boots of Mobility, and then a Malady.

Stop right there. Never ever get Malady. You're much better off getting a Stark's (which wouldn't be a bad idea on Tristana). Stark's Fervor completely outclasses Malady in every aspect. It gives so much more for only like 100 gold more (don't forget it buffs your friends as well). My friend usually goes Doran's Blade, Berserker's Greaves, Infinity Edge, Black Cleaver, Bloodthirster, Frozen Mallet, sell Doran's Blade and buy Phantom Dancer. If he has any more money, he sells Berserker's Greaves, buys Elixers and rebuys Berserker's Greaves. Stark's can work in place of Phantom Dancer, but it's pretty late in the game to go Stark's.

Never go AP Tristana and do not buy attack speed items on Tristana (at least not for the sake of attack speed. For example, Starks gives lifesteal which is good on Tristana). Tristana already shoots fast enough especially with Rapid Fire. So, just work on pure damage items. Get crit chance/damage rune pages, but always get red armor pen runes.
---
Pokemon Platinum FC: Zev, 4425 7842 6332
Pokemon Diamond FC: Zev, 0902 9586 8138
#3VoidgolemPosted 3/29/2010 3:30:45 PM
I generally either rush a BFsword or phage, depending on income and how often I get forced to fountain >.>

Boots of mobility are probably better replaced with something else unless you run around to gank a lot.
---
'This would be my cue to say something snarky, wouldn't it? I'll have to remember that. For the next time you make an idiot of yourself...'
#4DartkunPosted 3/29/2010 3:37:59 PM
Trist doesn't need early Attack speed, since AS scales WAY better when you have a lot of damage. Plus Trist has a skill for increasing attack speed.

I start with Vamp. Scept.
Boots -> Defensive Boots (I don't feel Trist really needs the extra speed off Mobility, and Zerker Greaves aren't all that good. AS? Meh)
BF. Sword -> Bloodthirster
(If you are doing good, grab Sword of the Occult here)
Vamp. Scept. -> Starks
I
As for your last 2/3 items, I find that you build what you need based on your team comp. vs their team comp.
But Blood Razor, Black Cleaver, Inf. Edge, Wit's End, Last Whisper, Sword of the Divine (for jax counter) are pretty good picks.

If you need to be defensive, Banshee's is never a bad choice. Frozen Mallet has some decent life on it, and I've seen Trist's take it but IMHO, it's not really needed. I've also seen Trists grab Leviathan early, mixed feelings on this. You should be able to build decent stacks with it, but it does seem like a waste. I guess if you are on a team that you know you'll be main focus, it's a cheap way to try to deter that focus.

It is heavy life steal early game. Since you are a carry, you need to feed as much as you can. So outlaning your opponent is your main goal. Trade hits with your opponent then retreat to LS back up.
#5zeroknightxzPosted 3/29/2010 8:47:48 PM
I start off with a Doran's shield (always useful using any squishy champs). I then go for Berserker Greaves or Boots of Speed and a Long Sword, which I work into a Last Whisper. I'll go for an IE, but I will get a Vampiric scepter in between if I'm having HP issues. The game should be over soon after you get an IE, unless your team is doing horrible, so I would finish with a Blood Thirster or a Frozen Mallet.
---
Save a tree. Eat a beaver.
#6CalmOfEmptinessPosted 3/30/2010 3:19:48 AM
Don't listen to anyone who tells you to get a Vamp Sceptre. Don't get it. Lifesteal is nice in the late game, but not useful in the early game.

The lifesteal items you can buy in the beginning of the game are Doran's Blade, which gives negligible lifesteal, and Vamp Sceptre. In order to slightly go past the health regen of a Regrowth Pendant or a Doran's Shield, you need to be CONSTANTLY attacking enemy minions if you get a Vamp Sceptre. So, if you get stunned or disabled, no health regen. If you need to back out of a fight for a short bit because someone is harassing you hard, you get no extra health regen. Waiting for a new minion wave? No health regen.

If you want early game survivability, get a Doran's Shield. Otherwise get a Ruby Crystal so you can build it into a Phage and then into a Frozen Mallet (very, very good item on Tristana).

Your skill order is also note quite good Dude, Rapid Fire at level 5 gives you 90% more attack speed. Do you know how big that is!? Rocket Jump should seriously come last in your priority, and Rapid Fire should at least. Rocket Jump doesn't really help you except increasing the damage you do when you land, which doesn't matter because Trist should focus on physical damage and you can easily do more if you get levels of Rapid Fire.

Rapid Fire is also the reason why you don't need to get so many attack speed items and why you should focus more on damage items. Attack speed caps at 2.5, even with abilities, so you don't need to jump the gun with attack speed.

You're much better off rushing a BF Sword, or getting a Phage early on. A Phage will get you some damage, as well as a bit of survivability, and a semi-reliable slow. The BF Sword will increase your damage output dramatically, and you will build it into an Infinity Edge, a core item on any Trist.

AFTER you have some decent damage, you should get attack speed. THE main item you need is Last Whisper. Armor Reduction really improves your damage output, and that's what Last Whisper does for you. This item is what turns Tristana into a tower eating *****.

Infinity Edge and Last Whisper FOR SURE. If you can afford to play as more of a glass cannon Tristana, you can get a Bloodthirster. Generally, Frozen Mallet is a great item for Tristana. Another good item is Stark's Fervor. Sword of the Divine is pretty nice, too, and if you're intent on using it, go ahead and get it after IE and Last Whisper. Sword of the Occult is really great on Tristana, since she can go in, get a kill, and get the hell out and preserve her stacks.
#7DartkunPosted 3/30/2010 5:46:00 AM
In order to slightly go past the health regen of a Regrowth Pendant or a Doran's Shield, you need to be CONSTANTLY attacking enemy minions if you get a Vamp Sceptre.

Regrowth is 14hp5, since Vamp has LS of 12%. You need to deal 117 damage to match the same amount of health. Trist starts with 96 damage, it's 2 hits every 5 seconds to be greater than it. Or a single critical will be more than enough.
#8CalmOfEmptinessPosted 3/30/2010 9:57:25 AM
Regrowth is 14hp5, since Vamp has LS of 12%. You need to deal 117 damage to match the same amount of health. Trist starts with 96 damage, it's 2 hits every 5 seconds to be greater than it. Or a single critical will be more than enough.

No, Tristana starts off with 45 damage.

The average Champion's armor starts off at ~28 or so. Tristana is roughly dealing 35 damage per hit.

She's gaining a mere 4.2 HP per hit. She gets in 3 and a half attacks per five seconds, so she's gaining about 15 HP when she's CONSTANTLY attacking a minion.

On the other hand, she could have guaranteed extra 14 per 5 with a Regrowth Pendant, or have extra HP and 8 per 5.

Lifesteal sucks early game.
#9DartkunPosted 3/30/2010 5:02:28 PM
Bleh, I'm stupid, read the wrong number. U__u;

Good thing I barely play trist. blehh
#10EarthshakerPosted 4/1/2010 10:28:34 AM
I should note that Lifesteal isn't ALWAYS an awful idea early, especially if you get Madred's Razors. That 15% chance to smack a minion for 500 will also be considered with your lifesteal.

Heck, it's because of that my Jungling-after-level-4 Gangplank actually works.
---
[Bracketeer from 1/15/05 to 1/15/08.]
You act as though payback makes you a noble man, is that a fact? Well, you're a Goddamned philistine.