Riot points necesary?

#1MPSOKAPosted 3/30/2010 10:57:18 AM
Do you have to eventually spend money on riot points in order to play the game?? I'm a beginner and would like to know before I start to invest my time into learning this game. Thanks
#2stonewall_heroPosted 3/30/2010 10:59:24 AM
never
#3CalmOfEmptinessPosted 3/30/2010 11:08:38 AM
You only need Riot Points to buy skins, you can unlock champions by buying them, and you can buy boosts in IP per day, but Riot's policy is that you can't "buy power," which means you can't directly buy levels and you can't buy Runes.
#4NeCrOmAnCeRPosted 3/30/2010 11:08:50 AM
The only things you get from Riot points that you can't get from IP are skins and boosts.
---
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/882/murderousmeido.jpg
#5MPSOKA(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2010 12:01:05 PM
I just played a my first practice match and I only got 30 IP. Is this normal? If the point yield is always this low then it is going to take forever before I can purchase my own champion. Also any advice for a beginner? My friends and I just got into this game pretty fun but, we drastically need some advice. Thanks
#6stonewall_heroPosted 3/30/2010 12:07:20 PM
Practice games give you crap IP while real games give you way more. It is a long climb but fun and frustrating at the same time.

I'd advise you and your friends to try out every hero you can and every different role.

Tank
Carry (ranged or melee)
Support
Caster

and find out what you like. Start off with the basic of the basic of each and then you can move on to the heroes that fill a role in a "unique" way.

Rammus is your basic tank who is almost a no brainer tank and a good one to start with- you can then move on to Shen who is also a tank but tanks in a very unique way.

I cannot stress how important it is too look up a guide for a character and give it some thought- perhaps a build that may interest you.
#7MPSOKA(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2010 12:25:28 PM
Thank you very much stonewall for the advise
#8Mindgame_1Posted 3/30/2010 12:44:58 PM

heres a site that i regularly go to to get a basic idea on any champion i have an interest in trying out:

http://www.leagueoflegends-wiki.com/

also, this game is extremely competitive so try not to let it get to you :)

#9yMeMooPosted 3/30/2010 12:49:13 PM
practice last hitting minions.
it's easier with ranged characters but also possible with melee
this is how you will get money faster

also make a habit of looking at your mini map and chat log
in normal/team games where you are up against real people, knowing where your enemies are let you know whats happening and if there is going to be a gank (planned kill).

team mates will often say MIA (missing in action) meaning one of the opponents disappeared and may be setting up for a gank.

i'm sure this is obvious, but don't die. not only are you out from action, but the enemy gets gold for their kill and will get their items better.

one last thing is to get used to what items and what order you are planning on getting.
you do not want to spend 1/2 a minute thinking about what item you are going to get next when you can be leveling/ganking/jungling.
there are guides on the official website forums and on leaguecraft.com what item builds are out there for each character.
Normally an item build would generally focus on either Ability points, attack damage, attack speed, health, defense, or magic penetration. Oh, and some kind of boots is recommended as you will be running everywhere on the map.

I just started playing recently but these are things that new players such as ourselves should work on.

HAVE FUN!!!
---
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts" -MiniMog
#10zeroknightxzPosted 3/31/2010 5:00:06 PM
Boots, to me at least, are a necessity. Boots is the first item I get. Trust me, you do not want to be bootless.
---
Save a tree. Eat a beaver.