Heroes of Newerth vs. League of Legends - Not what you think!

#1ShadowXORPosted 5/2/2010 10:23:37 PM
ATTN: THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT WHICH GAME IS BETTER! DO NOT DISCUSS YOUR OPINION ON THAT. I SEEK FACTS ONLY.

I understand there is a rivalry between the two games for various reasons. I'm not here to discuss that. I'm here because I like the IDEA behind HoN (I never played DotA) but I have a few problems with it. I wanted to see if LoL might be more my style and whether I want to spend $30 on HoN or not. If LoL had a Mac version I'd just play this for free...but it doesn't. HoN does and I prefer not booting into Windows every time I desire to play a game. On to the questions.

1. In HoN it seems like the "carry" gets VERY strong late game and an entire team will lose to a single person. Sometimes that guy is me, sometimes he's on my team, sometimes he's on the other team. But the game ALWAYS seems to rely on ONE person. This is VERY lame for a team game. So does LoL require more concerted team effort and rely less on one person getting "fat"? This is a lead-in to question two.

2. In HoN there is almost NEVER a comeback. I don't think I've ever seen one. Once a team gains the momentum, it just snowballs into absolute decimation. Is that the case here as well? The fact that the more powerful creep inhibitors respawn leads me to think LoL is more comeback friendly, I hope.

3. Many of HoN's heroes seem OP and are picked every game. It's VERY irritating. Also, many characters have very similar/uninteresting/non-creative skills.

4. HoN has denies, which add an extra something to do, but honestly kind of irritate me as it's a somewhat stupid mechanic when you think about it IMO. But it also adds a bit of depth. Curious how the depth is in LoL, what all there is to do, do they have the runes spawning on the rivers, etc. I did notice there seems to be grass which blocks line of sigh and it seemed like you could hide in. I liked that idea.

5. I like the idea behind leveling your summoner but it seems unbalanced having someone high level with all these special things. Or does it group you only with people around your level to be fair?

6. Anything else you can provide for me to take into consideration?

The two big things in HoN's favor for me right now are that it has AMAZING polish on the interface, graphics, etc. The second being they have a Mac native client so I don't have to go into Boot Camp every time I play.
#2necroix05Posted 5/2/2010 10:57:42 PM
1. This is POSSIBLE in LoL, but it will usually not happen. Unless their carry is completely fed up the ass, they won't solo your team.

2. In a recent game I played we had 1 inhib down, and the other two were exposed, while we only had their outer turrets destroyed. We defended for 20 minutes, fighting off multiple pushes, aced them and won the game. Late game, anyone can win.

3. Heroes are decently balanced.

4. There are neutral creep buffs, a dragon that gives extra XP and Gold to the whole team, and an Epic Monster called Baron Nashor, which gives a godly buff, but takes a long time to kill and can only be killed mid-late game.

5. It tries to group you with people your level.

6. This is free. The store is easier to navigate. Towers are stronger and you don't die in 3 hits.
---
Triggers down moar liek xbox down mirite - Dark_elf796
Add me if you play League of Legends: MrCowisBeast
#3RaydricLordPosted 5/2/2010 11:51:22 PM
1. In HoN it seems like the "carry" gets VERY strong late game and an entire team will lose to a single person. Sometimes that guy is me, sometimes he's on my team, sometimes he's on the other team. But the game ALWAYS seems to rely on ONE person. This is VERY lame for a team game. So does LoL require more concerted team effort and rely less on one person getting "fat"? This is a lead-in to question two.

No, LoL is not about getting a carry fed. I've seen Tanks carry games. However, team fights are won by everyone, not one person (it used to be Jax as recent as I can remember).

2. In HoN there is almost NEVER a comeback. I don't think I've ever seen one. Once a team gains the momentum, it just snowballs into absolute decimation. Is that the case here as well? The fact that the more powerful creep inhibitors respawn leads me to think LoL is more comeback friendly, I hope.

There are ALWAYS comebacks. I just had a game on Twisted Treeline where we fed first 3 blood. That map is known especially for hard snowballs. Then we came back and won hard. We were 5/1/5, 6/2/4, 5/2/8 in the end or something. There are always comebacks. I've also seen 3 inhibitor down comebacks before too. Very depressing on the winning team.

3. Many of HoN's heroes seem OP and are picked every game. It's VERY irritating. Also, many characters have very similar/uninteresting/non-creative skills.

At the moment, no hero is clearly defined as OP. With that said, many heroes are UP. The skills are quite varied between champions.

4. HoN has denies, which add an extra something to do, but honestly kind of irritate me as it's a somewhat stupid mechanic when you think about it IMO. But it also adds a bit of depth. Curious how the depth is in LoL, what all there is to do, do they have the runes spawning on the rivers, etc. I did notice there seems to be grass which blocks line of sigh and it seemed like you could hide in. I liked that idea.

The thing is in LoL, you can deny also. It's called zoning. Over 25% of every team fight is decided through zoning. The position of you and your teammates with respect to your enemies. If my partner dies during laning phase, the two enemies on the other team can go in front of the creeps and deny me exp. As for bushes, they add a great element. They can help a losing team take out the winning team just through the element of surprise. Runes are not in rivers unless you count Baron. In general, runes are crucial to the game as well as jungle control.

5. I like the idea behind leveling your summoner but it seems unbalanced having someone high level with all these special things. Or does it group you only with people around your level to be fair?

The summoner provides a level of customization. It is a power line between the haves and the have nots. However, runes and masteries do not account for everything (even though it can come out to around 3k of gold which is worth one core item). Matchmaking only pairs people up around the same level and skill now. It used to do so with skills and people would complain about losing as a lvl 13 against a lvl 30, but they recently reworked the matchmaking system.

6. Anything else you can provide for me to take into consideration?

The two big things in HoN's favor for me right now are that it has AMAZING polish on the interface, graphics, etc. The second being they have a Mac native client so I don't have to go into Boot Camp every time I play.

The game looks pretty. I also like the story and lores behind the champions. Very easy to run on many computers.
---
Pokemon Platinum FC: Zev, 4425 7842 6332
Pokemon Diamond FC: Zev, 0902 9586 8138
#4stonewall_heroPosted 5/3/2010 12:02:52 AM
posted in forums eh
#5SkaCore6786Posted 5/3/2010 2:29:40 AM
1. If someone is fed well, they can easily kill a single person, and can sometime win a 2v1, but that's about it. It is very very unlikely that you will ever see anyone 3v1 or more, and come out alive.

2. Comebacks are pretty common, the tide can switch pretty easily if you get too wreckless or sloppy. The neutral monsters in the jungle provide buffs that can help a team that may be down, reverse the playing field and come out on top.

3. There are definitely more popular choices, but no heroes are overpowered so much that if your team has one, and the other doesn't, it's an insta win for your team.

4. LoL does not have denies. If you are playing a hero that can harass your lanning opponent well enough, you can push them far enough away from the creeps to where they wont get exp, but that's different, and hard to pull off for any extended period. As I mentioned earlier there are neutral monsters in the jungle that provide various buffs to you or your team. The grass you mentioned hides anybody in it. As soon as you enter the grass, you can see the other people in it, and if you attack with a ranged attacked while inside, you become visible as well. It adds an extra layer of teamwork, in that if you can bait someone into following you past a patch of grass your teammate is hiding in, you can get an easy 2v1 kill.

5. The game matches you up against players of your skill level. Most of the game I play have been between players that are within 1 or 2 levels of each other, like the 13-15 range for example. If a level 4 joins with a level 30 (max level) in a 3v3, the game assumes you are a skilled player, playing on a new account, and will queue with players in their high 20s. However if you are level 4 and your friend is 10, you will like get queued against people in the range of 6-8.

6. The updates for LoL seem to be fairly extensive. When a patch rolls around, you can be certain that something cool is coming out of it. I haven't played HoN, so I can't attest to any ingame features, owever personally I like the art style of LoL over HoNs, as LoL feels more like DoTA to me than HoN does.
---
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5725/skacore6786jf8.png
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8593/mehi1gb3.jpg
#6AsucaHayashiPosted 5/3/2010 5:12:04 AM
only thing i dislike is the dark art style(much darker than dota) and the recycled heroes... haven't tried them all but how many of those are original created for hon?

lol features an entirely original ensemble(though some skills are obviously recognizable).
---
http://i30.tinypic.com/20z9ukx.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/phillyX/o0800106710285659015.jpg
#7R_JackalPosted 5/3/2010 8:10:49 AM
I don't know much about HoN, but here's some things I can tell you about LoL.

1. Jax is about the closest character you'll see to that in League of Legends, though they seem to be working towards rebalancing him. Even then, he's only strong against other melee heroes, he can get completely shut down by a caster or ranged very easily. There is no carry that guarantees you a win, though they ARE very nice to have.

2. Here's a story. 77 minute game yesterday, premade 5v5. They had all their inhib turrets+inhibitors left. All our inhibitors, all our turrets were down. They got the before-mentioned Baron Nashor buff, and went all or nothing. We were down about ten kills too, team-wise. We choked them at our stairs, sandwiched them. Two carries on my team went behind them to cut them off from escaping, and myself plus two other friends stopped them from moving forwards. It led to an ace, and a win. This game is practically made on comebacks.

3. No genuinely overpowered characters, even if you feed them(provided you don't let them go like 20/0--even then it'll just be HARD, not impossible) they can generally be overcome with a quick burst or focus fire.

4. You can deny the enemy experience by driving them back, all it takes is knowing the appropriate range of your characters attack and abilities, but pretty sure that's not quite the same thing. Even then, denying someone exp completely is pretty much impossible--unless they go afk.

5. This is a little bit harder. It doesn't actually match you up based on summoner level, though it does try to keep it in a reasonable level from you. It uses the "ELO" rating system, which is kind of broken at early game. The better you do, the better the people it matches you up with.

6. The game does have it's shortcomings compared to HoN from what I've seen, and vice-versa. For being free, League of Legends is an excellent game that works pretty well on balance. I've watched a friend play HoN and it seemed the play style was quite different. I'd say League is still worth a shot though.
#8VoidgolemPosted 5/3/2010 11:20:37 AM
Already gave you an explanation, so ha!
---
'This would be my cue to say something snarky, wouldn't it? I'll have to remember that. For the next time you make an idiot of yourself...'