A good Garen build?

#1King_of_GoatsPosted 5/15/2010 4:22:46 PM
I'm curious as to what a good build that upper level Garen users play with. I'd say that the build I go for right now is pretty good but it could use improvements. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My current build as follows is:

Ruby Crystal
Avarice Blade
Boots of Swiftness
The Brutalizer
Youmauu's Ghostblade
Phage
Infinity Edge
Last Whisper
Frozen Mallet
---
Sonic is for fat kids who want to run fast.
#2Ultima_Weapon33Posted 5/15/2010 8:41:48 PM
I go for a DPSish, with cooldown reduction and AP thrown in.

Start, go for a Brutalizer

Generally grab Berserker's Greaves next, unless there's a lot of magic/CC on the other team, than maybe use Mercury's Treads.

Then build up to Phantom Dancer. I havn't tried to do Infinity Edge yet but it could be more effective.

If something's weak on the way, or after you get the above, I go for these;

Nashor's Tooth (AP, cooldown)

Warmog's Armor (armor, regen)

Infinity Edge? (more damage, crit)

If you feel you're going to do good Leviathan will do well in place of the above, just make sure you use Perserverence well.

Armor generally isn't that important as Courage and his natural armor usually works well.
---
Metal Gear Online Forever Rank : CHA
The CHA sees all. ~ * ~ People CHA'd : 212
#3anilEhilatedPosted 5/15/2010 11:07:09 PM
Generally grab Berserker's Greaves next
Stopped reading there.
---
"Nuclear catapults? Honestly, those are perfectly feasible. " - solidsnake101112, on Fallout 3.
#4KhazardPosted 5/15/2010 11:13:23 PM
warmogs is grossly inefficient for its price

---
GO SAY HI FROM SCOOTER FOR ME,
AND BY THAT I MEAN MURDER THE HELL OUT OF HIM
#5Silver_leavesPosted 5/16/2010 8:10:59 AM
He actually works fine as a tank for early-mid

Starting:
Rejuv Bead, 2 Red pots, Ward

Rejuv bead into spirit visage
Ninja Tabi/Merc treads
Phage
2-3 Heart of Gold (depends if you get kills or not)

Late game you transition into a dps
Atmas
Infinity Edge
Mallet

---
Argent Coma
http://www.last.fm/user/Extemporal
#6Ultima_Weapon33Posted 5/17/2010 9:59:21 AM

warmogs is grossly inefficient for its price

Yeah, it really is, I didn't really think about it because I rarely have to get armor on Garen.

Also, Ninja Tabi are better than Berserker's Greaves, thanks for your trolling-criticism.
---
Metal Gear Online Forever Rank : CHA
The CHA sees all. ~ * ~ People CHA'd : 212
#7carotbotomPosted 5/17/2010 10:08:03 AM
Magic resist Garens actually rock mid-game. I randomly tried him out yesterday, and just rushed a Force of Nature (lolol) and a ghostblade so my damage wasn't completely ignorable. I also grabbed swiftness over treads (I took cleanse) so I could ensure my place as a walking Ulti and tried to killsteal as often as possible. Annie doesn't like taking less than half of your health after blowing everything.
---
username: xCuTiEzOeYx
I seriously doubt she's an actress. She had hairy legs. ~SBHS Brooklyn 2K3
#8capgamerPosted 5/17/2010 1:53:16 PM
I generally start out with boots of speed. It's important as Garen that you get some gold early game, so the ability to get in, last hit, and get out is VERY important. I typically build towards either infinity edge or ghostblade, prioritizing crit chance over flat damage since overall it will probably result in more damage. If the other team is dps heavy I will go for thornmail after I get my ghostblade or infinity edge. If it's mage heavy, I build towards banshee's veil.

If however, you have not been dying much (or getting nuked down much) I recommend whichever item you did not go for: ghostblade or infinity edge. Phantom dancer is also an acceptible choice, though the fact it doesn't directly increase your damage has me a bit on the edge about it. Best to make it a third item.

Boots of swiftness should be prioritized if you think you can get away with it. Garen needs lots of speed to really deal damage with judgement. You do have the speedup from your Q ability, but it's not always enough. Of course, pick mercury treads if the other team has lots of CC or magic damage.
---
"It's like racism, except to only one person." -Todasmile
Looking like a nerd is a small price to pay for ultimate power.