AD vs AP Master Yi Builds.

#1King_of_GoatsPosted 6/23/2010 11:33:39 AM
I just purchased Master Yi this morning, and I would like to try out both his AD and AP builds since I hear they are both very effective when played right. I was wondering what build is better suited to each of the maps and if someone could supply me with what items I should be aiming for in each of the two different builds. Thanks in advanced.
---
Sonic is for fat kids who want to run fast.
#2Zyk22Posted 6/23/2010 12:11:17 PM
Don't use AP. It sucks. The strategy with AP Yi is to alpha strike for about 500-700 damage every 10 seconds but deal almost no physical damage besides that. Your meditate is an even more unstoppable wall, but it isn't all that great anyways.
#3RaydricLordPosted 6/23/2010 12:19:30 PM
The strategy with AP Yi is to alpha strike for about 500-700 damage every 10 seconds but deal almost no physical damage besides that.

If you get kills with Highlander on, you can Alpha Strike repeatedly. Don't tell me landing three Alpha Strikes in a row in under 10 seconds is bad or even useless.
---
Pokemon Platinum FC: Zev, 4425 7842 6332
Pokemon Diamond FC: Zev, 0902 9586 8138
#4PaperbladePosted 6/23/2010 12:22:45 PM
Don't use AP. It sucks. The strategy with AP Yi is to alpha strike for about 500-700 damage every 10 seconds but deal almost no physical damage besides that. Your meditate is an even more unstoppable wall, but it isn't all that great anyways.

http://leaguecraft.com/item/Lich%20Bane
http://leaguecraft.com/spell/Highlander
---
I dislike arguments of any kind. They are always vulgar, and often convincing. ~ The Importance of Being Earnest
#5anilEhilatedPosted 6/23/2010 12:50:11 PM
AD Yi is basically worthless. If you want to go melee DPS, there are always better options.
With AP, you get high-powered Alpha Strike and the ridiculous heal on Meditate. Sure, it doesn't seem like much, except...
...Except it means you can spam those Alpha Strikes like no tomorrow and the only thing the enemy can do about you is focus all their burst damage on you, because you can heal to full in five seconds while still sitting in the middle of the fight. Highlander resetting cooldowns is just icing on the cake.

No contest, really..
---
"Nuclear catapults? Honestly, those are perfectly feasible. " - solidsnake101112, on Fallout 3.
#6VeeVeesPosted 6/23/2010 1:03:24 PM
ap by far. ad is just laughable.
---
narutu sand ninja
**** charlie brown christmas
#7Zyk22Posted 6/23/2010 1:52:10 PM
The reason I say AP is worthless is you need kills to keep going, like eve. And we all know how that goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OUaSY9JW78
It works really well if kills are involved, as seen in the video, but you are playing your teams DPS, and if alpha strike isn't getting you kills, you aren't getting reduced cooldowns.

But I may be being too much of a skeptic, or too much of a fan of backdoor yi.
I'll give it a shot.
---
Uhh...yeah....maybe...wait, no. Then on second thought.... maybe.
"World's most indecisive person. Died while choosing between white or wheat bread."
#8KhazardPosted 6/23/2010 2:08:32 PM
Assists are still worth half.

---
GO SAY HI FROM SCOOTER FOR ME,
AND BY THAT I MEAN MURDER THE HELL OUT OF HIM
#9RaydricLordPosted 6/23/2010 2:13:23 PM
The reason I say AP is worthless is you need kills to keep going, like eve.

The Highlander effect is just the icing on the cake as mentioned before. I mean you can't compare Eve to Yi. For one thing, AP makes Yi a multi-target DPS. Eve on the other hand is just single target despite getting or not getting kills.

If you build Yi as AD, he's only single target and AD Yi is so easy to shut down. In fact, he only needs an Exhaust to shut down for a team fight. The same problem is not shared with AP Yi.

In the end, AP Yi just has much more damage potential as well as survivability compared to AD Yi. Even if you don't get kills with Highlander up, you're still doing on average around 700x4=2800 damage. If you build AD and jump into a fight, you'll probably deal a little more than that on a single target if you don't die first (which isn't hard).
---
Pokemon Platinum FC: Zev, 4425 7842 6332
Pokemon Diamond FC: Zev, 0902 9586 8138
#10Zyk22Posted 6/23/2010 2:20:53 PM
Yeah I just tested it.... its about as snowball oriented as Eve.

So... Do not want.
---
Uhh...yeah....maybe...wait, no. Then on second thought.... maybe.
"World's most indecisive person. Died while choosing between white or wheat bread."