...so why do people make smurfs and then complain when their teammates

#1agesboyPosted 7/7/2010 3:32:27 PM
make mistakes or aren't playing perfectly?

I'm level nine, and yes, I HAVE played a lot of practice matches, but I don't know every matchup in the game. you learn a lot of that through experience.

I'd kill to play against people who were actually on my skill level instead of a few smurfs being snuck in every match. I'll get better with time, but not if smurfism pisses me off much more >_<
---
http://lenostreavventure.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/lannister1.jpg
KrahenProphet and Kana are on opposite ends of the Awesome Spectrum.
#2n00b14Posted 7/7/2010 3:41:44 PM
By level 9 you should be familiar enough with the game mechanics to not be stupid. Don't know a match-up? Don't press your luck and over-extend yourself, play safe. Don't know an opponent's ability(s)? Ask your teammates, they'd rather you not feed because of ignorance.

Not all of these people you're complaining about are necessarily on smurf accounts, they may just do their research or have played DotA/HoN.

I recommend reading about all the characters on free rotation (preferably every character in the game, but I don't see that happening) just so you at least know what you're up against and possibly playing each character to get a feel of their range, etc.
#3Froggie48Posted 7/7/2010 4:50:18 PM
By level 9 you should be familiar enough with the game mechanics to not be stupid. Don't know a match-up? Don't press your luck and over-extend yourself, play safe. Don't know an opponent's ability(s)? Ask your teammates, they'd rather you not feed because of ignorance.

Not all of these people you're complaining about are necessarily on smurf accounts, they may just do their research or have played DotA/HoN.

I recommend reading about all the characters on free rotation (preferably every character in the game, but I don't see that happening) just so you at least know what you're up against and possibly playing each character to get a feel of their range, etc.

It is very much possible to go to level 9 within a handful of bot battles.

Plus, if a person is new to the genre (i.e. never played Dota or HoN), you can't expect them to research every little thing about the game. I myself was about level 10 before I went anywhere near the forums, and about 15 before I actually started paying attention to what the people where saying. Still didn't help me with playing Tristana, but thats a different matter entirely. Point is, I agree it would be nice if people did research, but I don't expect them to have done so if they aren't at least above level 10.
---
If I had a dollar for every stupid person I've come across, I'd be able to buy China.
The official grue master of EP.
#4n00b14Posted 7/7/2010 5:05:54 PM

It is very much possible to go to level 9 within a handful of bot battles.

Plus, if a person is new to the genre (i.e. never played Dota or HoN), you can't expect them to research every little thing about the game. I myself was about level 10 before I went anywhere near the forums, and about 15 before I actually started paying attention to what the people where saying. Still didn't help me with playing Tristana, but thats a different matter entirely. Point is, I agree it would be nice if people did research, but I don't expect them to have done so if they aren't at least above level 10.

Of course it's possible, I did it.

I've never played DotA/HoN before, but I did my research after a couple matches because it's dumb not to. I learned the terminology, champ abilities, etc. Of course that doesn't make you perfect by any stretch and practice is still crucial, but there is no reason to be ignorant and then complain.
#5agesboy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2010 5:12:29 PM
Yeah, I've never played any DotA style games before. I don't make stupid stupid mistakes anymore (oh god the hell I got for going mid as soraka... that's something you don't learn in bot battles.. ;A;), but I still sometimes overextend my spells, run out of mana, and die. And I have no damn idea how I could have countered a Teemo/big mouth dude combo when they somehow were capable of huge burst by level 2. I died so much.. ;_;

I read forums a ton, but there's only so much you can learn without practice. And I can only play a few games a week if I'm lucky, time constraints... so I don't yet have the time free to sit down and practice a ton of matches and get aquainted with everyone. I don't even have the time to play enough matches for all the free character, I just pick a few that interest me :/
---
http://lenostreavventure.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/lannister1.jpg
KrahenProphet and Kana are on opposite ends of the Awesome Spectrum.
#6infected1989Posted 7/7/2010 5:34:12 PM
Just learn to ignore them and learn as you go. You learn more from mistakes and experience than from crappy practice games.

As long as you actually -learn- from your mistakes, anyway...
#7DartkunPosted 7/7/2010 5:38:10 PM
I'm amazed you know what a smurf is at level 9. I didn't learn until like level 20 in the beta. lol
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Shinius
Pokemon HG FC: 3739 1845 1942
#8BrainhunterPosted 7/7/2010 5:52:28 PM
Please don't bash me for asking this question: what's a smurf? o.O

I've been called that once, with Ashe (I had a very good k/d ratio during the game), level 15 summoner.
#9May916Posted 7/7/2010 5:56:21 PM
A smurf is an account made by someone who already has another account (usually a lvl30 one) for the purposes of:

-simply making a new account to start over
-making a new account to play with friends who suck
-making a new account to own nubs in pubs
etc.
---
Lalene