Rogers, The Shield of Damacia

#1DariusFFPosted 8/4/2010 3:15:14 PM
Rogers, The Shield of Damacia

I was thinking that Damacia needed a pure tank champion. So imagine Garen, but with a massive tower shield and a short sword. He would be mana based like his fellow Damacians Xin and Poppy. I based his abilities on one of my favorite Marvel superheroes and tried to balance them for a tank who could initiate and if not focus, then atleast disrupt the enemy team. I also tried to make all his abilities have some sort of synergy too.

Passive: Fortitude
Stacking Armor provides extra health, Stacking Health provides extra Armor.
Personally, I think 20hp = 1 armor, 1 armor = 10 health (does not stack with itself)

Q: Fearless Charge
Rogers charges at an enemy and bashes with his shield, then taunts them for a few seconds.
Physical damage is affected by a % of Rogers' armor.
Similar to Pantheon's shield smash but with a taunt instead.

W: Dauntless Slash
Rogers throws his shield at an enemy, which bounces to 2 other targets. Target opponents are physically damaged based on a % of Rogers' health and armor. Higher ranks provide a longer lasting movement and attack speed reduction.
Rogers loses a large % of his armor until the shield is picked up.
Similar to Olaf's axe throw and Katerina's knives.

E: Heroic Smash
Rogers uppercuts his opponent with his shield, tossing them into the air. On landing, the enemy takes physical damage based on Roger's max health and are stunned for 2-3 secs.
Similar to Alistar's pulverize, but single target, thus dealing more damage and having a longer lasting stun.

R: Damacian Resolve
Rogers concentrates for a few seconds then places a shield on target ally and himself which absorbs damage based on a % of Rogers' health and Armor.
Similar to Shen's ultimate but without the teleport, short ranged and has an interruptible channel time.

Weaknesses and Counters:

Low speed on account of massive amounts of armor
Low auto-attack damage due to shortsword, with majority of damage done by abilities.
Last Whisper and Madred's Bloodrazor would cut through him fairly quickly.
Hard to stack magic resist
Weak to CC

Gear Loadout:

Mastery: 0 / 21 / 9

Summoner Spells: Ghost and Cleanse / Flash

Marks: Armor pen
Seals - Dodge, Magic Resist or Mp5 / level
Glyphs - Magic Resist or Mp5 / level
Quints - Flat health

(Balanced enemy team)
Randuin's Omen
Atma's Impaler
Ninja Tabi
Aegis of the Legion
Force of Nature
Banshee's Veil

I'd like to ask the community to review / balance / add in figures or percents to this champion.

Thank you!
#2alvinxiePosted 8/4/2010 3:19:14 PM
Every ability is just another hero's skill changed around a bit
and no.
---
Applesauce is good.
#3im_so_hoodPosted 8/4/2010 3:26:08 PM
as long as he says DEMACIA!
#4OmfgitsBlahPosted 8/4/2010 3:48:01 PM
1 armor = 10hp

Y helo thar 8k hp 600 armor "totally unkillable by melee" hero.
---
Do the impossible, see the invisible, Row, Row, Fight the power!
Touch the untouchable, Break the unbreakable, Row, Row, Fight the power!
#5DariusFF(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2010 4:14:25 PM
well, thats why I asked for reviews / balance at the end of my post isnt it?

Maybe 1 armor = 3-5 health?

Also, I don't recall anyone saying that abilities have to be completely original, I figured there are already abilities from other champions that closely resemble what I want my champion to have so I changed some of them to fit his role as a Tank / Disruptor. Not only does this give Riot an easier time to create this champion, it also provides veteran players a bit of nostalgia when they see old abilities given new functions.

Also lore-wise, I read Sion's story and thought... who exactly brought down this monster? so BAM! I imagined Rogers standing infront of Sion, taking the hits, while young Garen and the rest of his squad took down Sion.
#6SorrySleepingPosted 8/4/2010 4:40:13 PM
Warmogs suddenly becomes useful/cost efficient for one character!
---
~{Always Asleep}~
#7hunt153Posted 8/4/2010 4:53:29 PM
The passive needs a nerf badly
Raduin's Omen would give 1200 health and 115 armor, that much health from one item would be way to OP
---
A guy walks into a bar, he says ouch
#8LleroLorrainePosted 8/5/2010 12:34:25 AM
Yeah uh. . . Thornmail would be 1000 health, 100 armor, and 30% damage return. HELLO GODLY.
#9DariusFF(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2010 12:35:28 AM
Alright, so here is the version 2 of my new champion. I added in base damage figures, the passive change and added some lore. Same masteries, runes and items from the 1st post.

Lore:
Throughout Valoran, the resolve of Demacia's military is alternatively celebrated or despised, but always respected. In combat, this means Demacian troops may not make excuses, flee or surrender under any cirumstance. These principles are espoused to their forces by unrivaled demagogues who lead by example. One of these heroes is simply called Rogers, the stalwart warrior who bears the title 'The Shield of Demacia'' he who exemplars the steadfast fortitude and unbending resolve of Demacia.

Second in command of the Dauntless Vanguard, Rogers came into attention during a pivotal battle against Noxus, while guarding his captain who was engaged in a duel, Rogers alone withstood, repelled and finally incapacitated the monstrous noxian behemoth known as Sion in a battle where the soldiers who were nearby, recalled how the beast's bloody axe cleaved through squads of soldiers with ease, but was denied by a shield held in the hands of a single warrior who held his ground and refused to surrender.

''Why does the Captain use a two hander? Because I'm always there to watch his back.''
- Rogers, talking to a new recruit.

"I may have a big hammer... but he has a BIG shield!"
-Poppy, on Roger's shield.

High health
Moderate attack
Low spells
Moderate-High difficulty

Passive: Steel Fortitude
Stacking Armor provides extra health, Stacking Health provides extra Armor.
25hp = 1 armor, 1 armor = 3 health (does not stack with itself)

Q: Fearless Charge
Rogers charges at an enemy and bashes with his shield, then taunts them for a few seconds.
Deals 50/ 75/ 100/ 125/ 150 Physical damage + % of Rogers' armor. Taunt for 1/ 1.25/ 1.5/ 1.75/ 2 second(s)
Similar to Pantheon's shield smash but with a taunt instead of a stun.

W: Dauntless Slash
Rogers throws his shield at an enemy, which then ricochets to 2 other targets then falls to the ground.
Target opponents are physically damaged for 45/90/135/180/225 + % of Rogers' health and armor combined and gives those hit a 15/20/25/30/35% slow for 1 second.
Rogers loses a large % of his armor until the shield is picked up.
Similar to Olaf's axe throw and Katerina's knives.

E: Heroic Smash
Rogers uppercuts his opponent with his shield, tossing them into the air.
On landing, the enemy takes 90 / 135 / 180 / 225 / 270 physical damage + % of Roger's max health and are stunned for 2 seconds.
Similar to Alistar's pulverize, but single target, thus dealing more damage.

R: Damacian Resolve
Rogers concentrates for a few seconds (2 second) then places a shield on target ally and himself which absorbs 300 /500 /700 damage + a % of Rogers' health and Armor for 6 seconds. (The shield on Rogers absorbs half as much damage)
Similar to Shen's ultimate but without the teleport, short ranged and has a more interruptible channel time.

Weaknesses and Counters:

Low speed on account of massive amounts of armor
Low auto-attack damage due to shortsword
Dependant on cooldowns with majority of damage done by abilities.
Last Whisper and Madred's Bloodrazor would cut through him quickly.
Hard to stack magic resist
Weak to CC

Thank you all for reading this vast wall of text!
Please review, balance or atleast comment!
#10metalxarmsxPosted 8/5/2010 12:57:50 AM
I'm not liking the

SLOW!
.... STUN!!

......... Thas right baybay... TAUNT!!

What? You plan on fighting back? Foo.. I got's da passive.
"Yo I heard you like some health and some armor, so we put some health with yo armor, and some armor with yo health, so you can health with yo armor, with yo stun, slow, and yo taunt"

Oh whaaa- You winning somehow?!

Pshhh.. Lemme pop up dat shield, ufeelme?

I do, however like the concept of the shield guy, a lot, and I'm diggin the Lore,
I was thinking rather than make him completely stop whom ever he's going for for 5 seconds.
Change something of his, into a buff, perhaps something like a Shield stance, lowering his damage output, increasing his defenses, and maybe immobilizing him.
nerf that passive a bit so that he doesn't become a god, but so that it still gives a benifit.