Understanding Potential

#1stonewall_heroPosted 8/29/2010 3:13:24 PM
This is something a lot of players do not realize. They will either cry something is UP or OP without realizing what the hell they are talking about.

There are several heroes in this game that are so well designed they have potential that has yet to be unlocked and they often are (or were) criticized and laughed at because "lol they bad" by players who don't know any better.

Let's look at some of these heroes that were laughed at

Taric (beta)
Pantheon
Garen
Ezreal
Heimerdinger
Shaco (open beta)
Janna (for a long time)
Udyr

People laughed at them but that's because most scrubs just pushed them aside. There were some heroes in which top players- experimenters- would try as best they could to unlock their potential.

Let's take a look at Pantheon. When i read his abilities i jittered like a school girl. He is so well designed for a melee hero. I instantly dropped actual money on him.

He has a ranged attack that allows him to harass, farm and deal good damage on a short cd. He's got a traveling hard stun and a small range aoe nuke that works off his attack damage. Those all his abilities have synergy. His ult allows him to cover distance and either trap a victim or distort the enemy positioning.

I loved it that after people unlocked his potential he was labeled op (yes there was a bug - but even after the bug was fixed people cried).

Ezreal is another and we all know how that turned out.

Udyr - he was released with gimped numbers. They buffed him and he became a god. Even after he was taken down a notch and consider up- some players unlocked his potential with item builds and experimentation and he became god mode again.

Now comes the case of heimerdinger. He's a hero i had my hand in as well. There were several people who, when he originally came out, saw his potential and kept trying to make him work out. There is something about a hero who controls so much space, has free wards that and lots of damage in his spells that says "potential."

His first form was weak even after experimentation but not as horribly bad as people made him out to be but i laughed my ass off when people said his new form was weaker than before. He was considered "worse" yet once more the same circle of people who saw the potential in heimer saw even more. He was still bottom tier after different builds and different orders - finally did the right build (even though some people still didn't follow it) emerge and heimer redefine the metagame.

If a player doesn't know anything about hero design then they have no credibility towards making any statements about a heroes viability. This is the same thing with the "ezreal got nerfed- trash tier now lolololol" statements popping up.
#2FTLulzPosted 8/29/2010 3:21:24 PM
That's only because most LoL players do not have the braincells to understand that Ezreal is QOP, Garen is Necrolyte, etc etc despite having played DOTA.

The rest were really just a matter of having to buy (not counting beta) champions and therefore not having enough exposure yet. It's not using the DOTA system where everything is free so the metagame will always be hindered in the first couple years of this game.
---
How come so many character driven stories have a cast that doesn't even resemble real life people?
#3CubonedPosted 8/29/2010 3:22:47 PM
tl;dr
#4DartkunPosted 8/29/2010 3:25:58 PM
Ezreal wasn't always called OP? Madness!
---
youtube.com/user/Shinius
twitter.com/dartkun
#5DartkunPosted 8/29/2010 3:26:36 PM
Doublepost, but I await the day Mal'Zahar is deemed OP.
---
youtube.com/user/Shinius
twitter.com/dartkun
#6SorrySleepingPosted 8/29/2010 3:27:38 PM
Most people cry out OP or UP because they try the character one and suck or get completely owned by an enemy that knows the character.

I still see people calling Vlad, Urgot, Mundo, Akali, Eve, and others OP.
---
~{Always Asleep}~
#7CubonedPosted 8/29/2010 3:30:09 PM
"Vlad, Urgot, Mundo, Akali, Eve, and others OP."

Those are all very strong characters.
#8EyEs fr0m Ab0vEPosted 8/29/2010 3:33:00 PM
So I read all that and you didn't even make a prediction about the next "surprise" to come out of the works.

I'm disappointed.
---
"them memory is xbox hard down the framerate"
#9Froggie48Posted 8/29/2010 3:36:07 PM
I miss the good ole days when Janna was laughed at. Many lulz were had when enemies thought "lol janna, shes weak. I can kill her." Little did they realize the only way to kill a Janna is catch her in an ambush and chain stun her.
---
If I had a dollar for every stupid person I've come across, I'd be able to buy China.
The official grue master of EP.
#10Froggie48Posted 8/29/2010 3:41:55 PM
Oh and as for my prediction of the next surprise OP champ is Poppy. I'm not sure how many people are aware of the amount of burst she has, especially AP with DFG.
---
If I had a dollar for every stupid person I've come across, I'd be able to buy China.
The official grue master of EP.