LoL is causing my comp to shutdown. Help pls?

#11HasirePosted 6/24/2012 8:03:24 PM
There is always a way to fix it, sadly it seems your computer knowhow might be lacking though, especially if you don't know what a driver is.
---
NA: Hasire
#12VoidgolemPosted 6/24/2012 8:03:56 PM
Well, when my laptop kept switching off at random and without warning, rolling back the driver helped.

Though I don't know if it would fix your problem, here's the general gist of how to do it:

Control panel > Device Manager.

There should be a thing labeled 'display adapter', go into it's properties and select "Driver Rollback".

Or if that doesn't work/isn't an option you could do the opposite and check for updates. Windows does that on it's own or you can look around the manufacturer's site (Intel, I'm assuming.)
---
"Now, I don't mean mod like putting a sight on it, I mean shotguns that fire rockets. Rockets filled with acid and cyanide. It's that kind of game."
#13KajeI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 8:19:03 PM
Having just googled "Display driver" and reading the stuff that came up i know i've heard it used before. Something involving Nvidia direct X or my graphic card or something. It was a while ago. I thought rolling back the driver meant i had to move the driver or something.

I just looked at the properties and stuff. Roll back wasn't an option, and when i tried to update it it said i had the newest version installed already. I just searched the HP site for updates and it didn't help either.
---
GT:Amaideus.
Psn:Asetrisk.
#14HasirePosted 6/24/2012 8:24:26 PM
Then yeah, odds are either your fan isn't spinning or your thermal paste isn't paste anymore.

a 3 year old laptop is going to have a massive chunk of dust in the fan, so it could be either stopping the fan from spinning, or blocking the exhaust and just holding onto all the heat.

Sadly, if I recall correctly, the Dv6 has the fan under the mobo, and is rather hard to get to.
---
#15KajeI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 8:28:12 PM
Hummm... So why'd it become an issue today? I haven't even used my laptop as much as i normally do today. Should i find someone to try and fix the fan or do... something to the "paste" or what?
---
#16HasirePosted 6/24/2012 8:31:47 PM
First, focus on seeing if the exhaust is spitting out air/the fan is actually spinning.

If both of those are good, it could still be a software issue.

From there, you would want to check what your video chip is, and then check the maker site to make sure you have the most current drivers.
---
#17VoidgolemPosted 6/24/2012 8:33:07 PM
In my case I could rule out overheats because my laptop displays a screen informing of "thermal shutdown" when restarted.

Of course, dunno if that happens for yours. So that's probably not helpful.
---
"Now, I don't mean mod like putting a sight on it, I mean shotguns that fire rockets. Rockets filled with acid and cyanide. It's that kind of game."
#18KajeI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 8:35:52 PM
I definately hear something spinning when i'm playing. I dunno how many things in a comp spin like that, but it sounds a lot like my Xbox. I've also felt some air going out, but not very forcefully. More "gentle breeze" than "fan on high".
---
#19HasirePosted 6/24/2012 8:42:20 PM
In my case I could rule out overheats because my laptop displays a screen informing of "thermal shutdown" when restarted.

Of course, dunno if that happens for yours. So that's probably not helpful.

The dv6 doesn't.

I definately hear something spinning when i'm playing. I dunno how many things in a comp spin like that, but it sounds a lot like my Xbox. I've also felt some air going out, but not very forcefully. More "gentle breeze" than "fan on high".

The dv6 has 1 fan, so if something is spinning, its the fan. I hope....

The air moving is also good. There probably is SOME dust build up, but not enough to cause a crippling issue.

Whats the full product number? I want to see what your chipset is.
---
#20KajeI(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 9:05:31 PM(edited)
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family is the closest i could find.
It's processor is: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processors.

If neither of those is what you're looking for then i'm sorry, i dunno how to find it.

(Edit)
I gotta go to bed now, i got stuff to do in the morning. I'll check back and maybe bump this again tomorrow. Thanks for your help though! It was/is greatly appreciated.
---