Flat AD runes vs ArPen runes

#1MASTER shokoyPosted 7/19/2012 1:41:54 AM
Is there a general rule to follow (for example, which AD hero or which circumstance) to choose which mark is better to use?
---
Courage is not the absence of fear. It is the mastery of it.
PSN: migav88
#2Solid_Acid12Posted 7/19/2012 3:28:09 AM
Well from what i know is that flat ad runes fall off early in the game while ArPen runes stay consistent throughout.
---
48/2(9+3) = 2
#3Cmac4Posted 7/19/2012 3:32:07 AM
ArPen runes are generally better against champs but AD helps make last hitting quite a bit easier. I generally just use ArPen Marks and Flat AD quints.
#4TampaActor9Posted 7/19/2012 3:39:58 AM
There's a "magic number" of AD that falls between 7-15 for most ad champs that, at the beginning of the game, makes last hitting remarkably easier. That being said, arpen runes are much better at both minions (after level 5-6 I forget) and champions (all game long). Thing is, early game, last hitting is paramount to your success as an AD so many players run them to ensure consistency.

Assuming, in a vacuum, that you could land every last hit without the need of ad runes CONSISTENTLY, then running all ArPen would be strictly better.

Keep in mind that some champs get decent steroids (Draven with his spinning axe, MF gets +6 damage from her passive steroid, varus +10 from his, and corki starts +5 from his passive) and thus you can get away with running arpen reds and AD quints (or in the case of varus IMHO you can run full arpen and still last hit easily).
#5Wingding11Posted 7/19/2012 3:41:26 AM
Generally, from my memory, AD is better early, Pen is better late.

You also have to consider the champ in question though. Xin Zhao? His skills don't scale with AD. Lee Sin? Well now there's some decent AD ratios in there, he can work either way. Riven/Jax make AD more efficient than usual.

The last thing to consider is that more AD means easier last hitting. You get to last hit under your tower more effectively, and you're going to be grabbing more creep kills than usual. I usually do a hybrid AD/pen page nowadays for my ranged carries, because I can't imagine that the slight endgame benefit of 10 more armor pen is going to be more useful than an earlier item, a few extra pots, or a ward.
---
I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder. - G.K. Chesterton
#6MASTER shokoy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2012 4:29:19 AM
Those are pretty good analyses, thank you very much! :)
---
Courage is not the absence of fear. It is the mastery of it.
PSN: migav88
#7kanated123Posted 7/19/2012 5:48:46 AM
AD is overall better. Especially with the 10% ArPen mastery.
#8SC6Posted 7/19/2012 6:20:36 AM
if you do physical damage but scale rather poorly or don't need it to last hit, ar pen
everything else, AD

or you can balance the two
---
PSN - NovaSol6 (I think...)
#9DiortePosted 7/19/2012 7:07:35 AM
TampaActor9 posted...
There's a "magic number" of AD that falls between 7-15 for most ad champs that, at the beginning of the game, makes last hitting remarkably easier. That being said, arpen runes are much better at both minions (after level 5-6 I forget) and champions (all game long). Thing is, early game, last hitting is paramount to your success as an AD so many players run them to ensure consistency.

Assuming, in a vacuum, that you could land every last hit without the need of ad runes CONSISTENTLY, then running all ArPen would be strictly better.

Keep in mind that some champs get decent steroids (Draven with his spinning axe, MF gets +6 damage from her passive steroid, varus +10 from his, and corki starts +5 from his passive) and thus you can get away with running arpen reds and AD quints (or in the case of varus IMHO you can run full arpen and still last hit easily).

Would explain why I last hit so much better with MF than every other AD carry :O I learned something today.
---
In capitalist America, bank robs you!
#10davidaaronkPosted 7/19/2012 7:13:35 AM
AD are significantly better (higher damage to champs + easier last hitting) level 1. Don't remember exactly when Arp catch up but its not until at least 5ish. If you buy a last whisper though iirc AD becomes better than flat Arp even at level 18.
---
Steam ID = KatzDave (Add me!) Multi-player games below... (PC/DS/Wii)
AS,AT,AW,B,B+,BF2,BP,CSS,DDS,GW,L4D,L4D2, MK,MiB,PHG,PPT,PVK,RFG,SC,SF4,SMC4,SSE,TC,TF2