Tips on catching Draven's axes?

#11Lord GrahfPosted 8/18/2012 11:22:43 AM
Don't even bother catching your axes in late game teamfights unless for some reason you're able to stand still and don't even have to kite or position. Repeated axe catching is for laning and zoning and it's amazing at that.
---
Not changing this sig until Walter Mondale is elected president.
Currently Playing: Pepper II, Venture, Frogger
#12SkyzPosted 8/18/2012 11:29:22 AM
And late game though he doesn't have the highest damage his passive really starts hurting with all the extra dot damage for crits. He's one of my favorites. I do really well with him except against Ezreal. :/ That attack speed debuff...those flashes.
---
Skyz the limit. Try and Reach it.
#13DoctorEggmanPosted 8/18/2012 11:52:32 AM
Lord Grahf posted...
Don't even bother catching your axes in late game teamfights unless for some reason you're able to stand still and don't even have to kite or position. Repeated axe catching is for laning and zoning and it's amazing at that.

just nabbing one axe resets blood rush cooldown, and thats pretty big in a teamfight.

I'm pretty sure as draven players get better with him, we'll figure out ways to catch axes during teamfights without losing focus on the targets or getting out of position
---
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!
http://i.imgur.com/7f1Xt.jpg
#14Lord GrahfPosted 8/18/2012 12:01:30 PM
Lord Grahf posted...

just nabbing one axe resets blood rush cooldown, and thats pretty big in a teamfight.

I'm pretty sure as draven players get better with him, we'll figure out ways to catch axes during teamfights without losing focus on the targets or getting out of position

You can't catch the axes and get all your autoattcks in when you have 1.5 attack speed. So you can either stand still and let the axes come to you, which is fine if the enemy team is that bad. Or you can run and position to the axe dropping spots, which is also fine, except you don't get all your autoattacks in so it's pretty much a wash on damage. Or, you can use your bloodrush, use your axe or two axes you initially have, get your bonus damage, then wreck in team fights anyway with high base AS and extra bleed damage on-crit.
---
#15DoctorEggmanPosted 8/18/2012 12:05:26 PM
Lord Grahf posted...
You can't catch the axes and get all your autoattcks in when you have 1.5 attack speed. So you can either stand still and let the axes come to you, which is fine if the enemy team is that bad. Or you can run and position to the axe dropping spots, which is also fine, except you don't get all your autoattacks in so it's pretty much a wash on damage. Or, you can use your bloodrush, use your axe or two axes you initially have, get your bonus damage, then wreck in team fights anyway with high base AS and extra bleed damage on-crit.

blood rush's movement speed bonus lasts quite a bit, so you can fire off 2 axe autos, repositioning in bursts to direct the axes to where you want to be. I've seen doublelift micro vayne pretty damned well, and I suspect that with practice, the same quick movements between autos even at high attack speeds wouldn't be out of hand.

It may not be easier if your technical skill isn't great, but I think its possible. Fire off axe + bloodrush, move, axe when you can auto again, move, auto, move, auto, move into range for axe, bloodrush + spinning axe, continue.

It would be spectacular to watch work out.
---
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!
http://i.imgur.com/7f1Xt.jpg
#16Snacks23Posted 8/18/2012 12:22:14 PM
DoctorEggman posted...
blood rush's movement speed bonus lasts quite a bit, so you can fire off 2 axe autos, repositioning in bursts to direct the axes to where you want to be. I've seen doublelift micro vayne pretty damned well, and I suspect that with practice, the same quick movements between autos even at high attack speeds wouldn't be out of hand.

It may not be easier if your technical skill isn't great, but I think its possible. Fire off axe + bloodrush, move, axe when you can auto again, move, auto, move, auto, move into range for axe, bloodrush + spinning axe, continue.

It would be spectacular to watch work out.

This is the thing, yeah. Like, I understand where Grahf is coming from but once the mechanics of how the axes works becomes second nature and just muscle memory to you, you can fight normally and catch axes in teamfights without it being much trouble, which boosts your damage output so significantly that it's hard to lose. It's definitely advanced Draven and not something you should try to do early on before you understand Draven mechanics but it's not something you want to forego entirely.

Also I enjoy going Nunu support when I have a Draven on my team because you can reach the attack speed cap pretty easily with blood boil. An experienced Draven with Nunu giving him perma slows and attack and movement speed bonuses is very hard to beat.
---
http://tinyurl.com/86ycesp http://tinyurl.com/7r8ouge
http://tinyurl.com/7hb5dzn http://tinyurl.com/6rxud7b
#17Lord GrahfPosted 8/18/2012 12:29:34 PM
You cannot catch axes and fight normally because of how the mechanic works. The axe lands where you are walking to when it bounces off your target. You're free to walk there and not use the maximum amount of autos if your attack speed is high enough, but if you're not using the maximum amount of autos as an AD carry you're gimping your damage. You get some of it back from the AS and AD boost from Q and W refresh but as I already said, it's basically a wash and sometimes deals less damage than full autoattacks do, especially considering how short some teamfights are.

tldr: you can't get to axe catching spots, even with AA-canceling and stutter stepping, unless you weren't repositioning at the time your axe bounced.
---