How to learn new characters?

#1I_Heart_EeveePosted 10/5/2012 10:51:19 AM
I'm level 17 and I think it's time for me to actually learn how to play this game. The problem is that I almost exclusively use Anivia, because I just "get" how she works. She seems to be pretty different from lots of other champions, and I just can't get the hang of anything else. I think I can play decently as Ailstar, but the problem is it's really hard to tell if you're actually helping as support... But I need help figuring out how to branch out from playing Anivia. I've tried other APs since they should have similar playstyles, but I'm still terrible even with them. Like this week I tried Karthus since he's free. I don't get how he's supposed to do damage. All he really has is Q, because if he tries to get close enough to E, he's squishy enough that he'll die in a second. Then I might try a melee character, and I never seem to have as easy of a time as others I see doing it. Since they have so many stats to focus on, I can never seem to find the right balance.

So how can I learn to really play? I feel like having my first good champion be Anivia might be a bad thing, because there's just nothing else with that playstyle.
---
If you think Eevee is cool then that must mean you are cool.
http://i38.tinypic.com/286zcqp.gif People that heart Eevee!: 52
#2tpoyoyPosted 10/5/2012 10:54:42 AM
I_Heart_Eevee posted...
I'm level 17 and I think it's time for me to actually learn how to play this game. The problem is that I almost exclusively use Anivia, because I just "get" how she works. She seems to be pretty different from lots of other champions, and I just can't get the hang of anything else. I think I can play decently as Ailstar, but the problem is it's really hard to tell if you're actually helping as support ... But I need help figuring out how to branch out from playing Anivia. I've tried other APs since they should have similar playstyles, but I'm still terrible even with them. Like this week I tried Karthus since he's free. I don't get how he's supposed to do damage. All he really has is Q, because if he tries to get close enough to E, he's squishy enough that he'll die in a second. Then I might try a melee character, and I never seem to have as easy of a time as others I see doing it. Since they have so many stats to focus on, I can never seem to find the right balance.

So how can I learn to really play? I feel like having my first good champion be Anivia might be a bad thing, because there's just nothing else with that playstyle.

as alistar if your carry is landing kills and you get an assist you're definitely helping
if your carry is about to die and you headbutt or pulverize enemy so your carry gets out alive you're helping
if you're also warding to help your lane less susceptible to ganks you're helping
etc
#3Dragonfable101Posted 10/5/2012 10:55:20 AM
TL;DR (sorry)

Assuming you don't have an unlimited fund of IP and RP I'd say try whatever is on the current free rotation.

The way to learn new characters that works best for me is to try them out in a bot game. Try
something of your own (if you have a general idea about itemization).

Then look for a guide, maybe watch some videos about it.

Try another couple of bot games. (Try to play a 1v2 lane if you're anything but an ap mid)

Try a lot of normals until you're good with it.
---
man,this is insane!!!!...lets do it!
#4BlocktopusPosted 10/5/2012 10:56:04 AM(edited)
Try Jax, Nunu, Annie, Sivir, Eve, and Kayle. They're all good and pretty easy to use, and they're all cheap.

Also try Malphite. He's a good tank and he's so easy to use.
---
Be gone, evil forces, my soul is mine and I am alive!
#5hawkeye2188Posted 10/5/2012 11:00:35 AM
Just practice. The more you practice the more you learn the game.
---
GT: hawkeye2188
#6BlackZero999Posted 10/5/2012 11:04:19 AM
As an overall "how to learn new characters?"

What I do:

Pull up a guide
Read
Pull up another guide
Read
Come to GameFAQs and use the search bar, type in the full name or their abbreviated one (Eve, Heimer, Malp, Malz, whatever)
Read threads about each champion and how people play them
Take them into a bot game or two to see their ranges, to see how they feel, and to get a sense of their kit
Read more
Normals.

Hell, I read more often than I play...but that's just the nature of the beast and having forums up when I'm at work. Information is key in my opinion.

If you've got more specific questions, post them! A general overview is good, but if you need help on the finer points, just ask! Fine points are usually easier to answer, as it's not so broad, but more focused for the answer that you want.

Hope this helps even a little bit.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Diablo III, League of Legends, FFTA
Anticipating: Assassin's Creed III, Borderlands 2, Bioshock: Infinite
#7Spectral_WrathPosted 10/5/2012 11:07:23 AM
Once you know the basic concepts of the game it is really easy to pick up most champions and play. Just read their skills before starting a game and think of what makes sense. As for build try to think of what to build yourself based off the skills. If you are unsure of something try an AI game first to test the mechanics of that champion. If you are unsure of what to build or are looking for confirmation look up a build on mobafire or something.

Also remember to look at who the enemy champions are and what they are building. Try to maintain your core build, but change items around to counter the enemies' builds.
---
http://i.imgur.com/hAyzk.jpg http://i.imgur.com/8bgod.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/6nvvhv.jpg
#8reaver89Posted 10/5/2012 11:09:51 AM
That's the beauty of the game; no champions have exactly similar playstyles. And the best way to learn new champions is to play them. Try looking a guides for builds if you are getting really frustrated.

If you like Anivia, I could suggest Heimerdinger. They have some similar skills.

If you like Anivia for her utility spells, you could see if you like Zilean.

And if you like slowing, try Ashe or Nunu.
#9funkys-flightsPosted 10/5/2012 11:14:01 AM
stick with what you know at first, mages.

This is where I started too, except with fiddlesticks. Then try out some new mages. So from anivia maybe jump to xerath, viktor, veigar, ryze, zyra. Stay with these who have a way of locking down one or more targets and throwing out spells from the back.

Then after you get used to skillshots, picking off targets, waiting for opportune moments, you could jump to someone like cho'gath, kassadin or fizz. They are similar in the quick bursts and centralizing in spells, but with the melee element thrown in.

You would be comfortable landing kass' wave or fizz's fish because you practiced skillshots, then from there you can transition to attack damage melee champs. It takes a while to understand with those melee champs how to avoid damage or soak it up depending on your role, when to get in the mix etc. I struggled with melee champs for the longest time too, like talon, jarvan, yet lee sin made sense for me due to his 'spell style' play, and the fact that he has great gap closers so I can stick on my target. find the transitions
---
................ ~...............
anoche sone contigo ;)
#10darkcast2004Posted 10/5/2012 11:30:37 AM
Blocktopus posted...
Try Jax, Nunu, Annie, Sivir, Eve, and Kayle. They're all good and pretty easy to use, and they're all cheap.

Also try Malphite. He's a good tank and he's so easy to use.

I'd replace sivir with graves. Yeah he's expensive (6300) but he plays like sivir but he's better. I've been using him for awhile and love him....no homo
---
5: Warned
One of our 10 year old mods has decided to abuse his power because mommy took his action figure away. We know they're bad but we can't help it.