How is this game?

#1darkmaian23Posted 10/7/2012 5:24:52 AM
While I think I understand what this game plays like from the videos on the official website, there are a few things that concern me:

1. From the website, it looks like there are only three maps to play on. Doesn't the game get stale with so few maps?

2. With so many champions, do the characters really feel unique?

3. How is the population of players? This board is #1 in the PC section on GameFAQs, but are there plenty of people playing otherwise?

Thanks for your time. ^_^
#2IcecreamdunwichPosted 10/7/2012 5:29:18 AM
1: 4 maps, actually:

1. Summoner's Rift (5v5)
2. Crystal Scar (Dominion)
3. Twisted Tree Line (3v3)
4. Proving Grounds (ARAM)

And no, because the games have more depth to them than just changing based on the map like some other games.

2: Yes, though there are some similarities in mechanics

3: It's one of the biggest games out there right now, to put it in a sense of scale, more people just watch League of Legends tournaments than the amount of people that watch MLB on ESPN.
#3RaverbasherPosted 10/7/2012 5:47:27 AM(edited)
1. From the website, it looks like there are only three maps to play on. Doesn't the game get stale with so few maps?

TBH there is really only one main map which people play on seriously (Summoner's Rift), and then another one people play on for slightly more fun, quicker custom games (Proving Grounds) although your account should probably be around level 30 before anyone will let you into Proving Grounds games.

I don't think so. They broadly fall into 5 types - Jungler, Support, randged AD Carry, Top, Mid; and 2 categories: 1. OP 2. Everything else. For each role there is a limited choice of OP champs. Choose anything else and you are gimping yourself, unless you are very, very good (you won't be).

3. How is the population of players? This board is #1 in the PC section on GameFAQs, but are there plenty of people playing otherwise?

There are lots of players. Another question you should ask is, what are these players like? And the answer to that is: akin to the worst types of posters and trolls created by internet anonymity.

In all honestly, unless you have some real life friends who you can regularly player with, i would avoid this game. It's not really free (you will end up buying RP to access good champs or afford runes unless you play for in excess of 8 hours a day), it's repetitious, and unless you have good friends to play with, it's not fun. Solo que will bring you down.
---
Virginity is not virtue,
it's just lack of opportunity.
#4T-Viral-XPosted 10/7/2012 5:45:28 AM
Population wise? Um...it's the most played online game in the world...big enough for you?
---
[~N~] [3_D] [U_U] lol, sig
Banking on Zelda Wii U being a Glass Zelda - 7/5/11
#5kanated123Posted 10/7/2012 5:56:06 AM
Raverbasher posted...

TBH there is really only one main map which people play on seriously (Summoner's Rift), and then another one people play on for slightly more fun, quicker custom games (Proving Grounds) although your account should probably be around level 30 before anyone will let you into Proving Grounds games.

I don't think so. They broadly fall into 5 types - Jungler, Support, randged AD Carry, Top, Mid; and 2 categories: 1. OP 2. Everything else. For each role there is a limited choice of OP champs. Choose anything else and you are gimping yourself, unless you are very, very good (you won't be).

There are lots of players. Another question you should ask is, what are these players like? And the answer to that is: akin to the worst types of posters and trolls created by internet anonymity.

In all honestly, unless you have some real life friends who you can regularly player with, i would avoid this game. It's not really free (you will end up buying RP to access good champs or afford runes unless you play for in excess of 8 hours a day), it's repetitious, and unless you have good friends to play with, it's not fun. Solo que will bring you down.

Tbh this makes it sound like you're just butthurt. Every champion is viable unless you're at an extremely high level of play where even 1% differences in power make a huge difference. Which is exactly the opposite of what you said.
#6RaverbasherPosted 10/7/2012 6:18:02 AM
kanated123 posted...
Raverbasher posted...

Tbh this makes it sound like you're just butthurt. Every champion is viable unless you're at an extremely high level of play where even 1% differences in power make a huge difference. Which is exactly the opposite of what you said.

Sure, if playing s***** champs is viable, then you're right.

Your opinion is fine, and welcome. So is mine. And as far as i'm concerned, this is the truth:

- Game is locked in an unbalanced meta which favours newly released champs (which you need to buy RP for unless you've been playing for a long time and have accumulated a lot of IP).
- Only one map to really play on.
- Worst community on the internet.

TC should have fair warning.
---
Virginity is not virtue,
it's just lack of opportunity.
#7Is_CorruptedPosted 10/7/2012 6:22:30 AM
Raverbasher posted...
- Worst community on the internet.

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
---
Marcus is the answer for anything except "best unit who isn't Marcus," but even then he is a strong contender. - PokeAMon
#8IcecreamdunwichPosted 10/7/2012 6:23:01 AM
The community is not that bad, people overhype it
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#9shadyelfPosted 10/7/2012 7:25:03 AM
Dota's community is (or was) worse. But consider how accessible this game is the community isn't that bad (still pretty bad).
---
?
#10arys75Posted 10/7/2012 7:27:50 AM
It's a great game. Really competitive even if you're just playing casually. Fun fun fun fun. I really love LoL. Play it please.