people who say "easy" at the end of games. punish or pardon?

#51Black_AssassinPosted 11/5/2012 10:57:10 AM
Ephemeral1 posted...
GoldenFantasy posted...
The thing is, you don't have to say gg easy. You can celebrate if you want off screen, but if you say it, the other players don't know the context, and you come off as sort of a douche.

The thing is, you don't have to let it bother you. Aside from the rules, what's wrong with being a douche?

Why are you letting the tribunal bother you so much?

Can't you "deal with it" like some people are told here?
#52Ephemeral1Posted 11/5/2012 11:06:44 AM
Gynthaeres posted...
Ephemeral1 posted...
Kirbix posted...
Ephemeral1 posted...
Christ, how do you people function in real life without a tribunal to go tattling to? Grow up and stop being so thin skinned.

You're one of those kids who gets put in detention after school and defiantly claims that "school rules are stupid and so I shouldn't have to follow them!" Aren't you?

Rules are rules. Feel free to whine when you're punished for not following them, but they are what they are.

I'm one of those adults who expects other people to act like adults and not start crying over something as trivial as language use. Not an unfair expectation considering the nature of online games and their ratings. If you're looking for a more juvenile gaming experience, I recommend pokemon. I'd watch out, though - you'll get quite a taunting from those gym leaders, and I don't think they can be reported.

It's funny how the definition of "adult" changes from person to person. Me, I think "acting like an adult" means showing your opponent some respect, rather than taunting them childishly.
And as an adult, I would be quite happy to have the "kids" get a time-out until they can figure out how to show a bit of respect.

The less taunting and the more good-natured play we have, the better the game is for everyone.

You have a point. Some perspective for your consideration:

I was in the infantry for 6 years, half of which I spent as an NCO. Let me tell you, there is no more mature, sobering experience out there than being a soldier, especially one whose primary duty is to place himself in harms way. I've been subjected to the most debased, vulgar conversations and epithets you can and can't conceive, and I gave as good in return. Were any of us bothered by it? Not in the least. We understood that, in the grand scheme of things, there are far more vile things to be seen and done than can be perpetrated by pen or tongue. I don't offer this as an excuse for my behavior, only as a means of empathy. I suppose we do all have different interpretations of what it means to be an adult, I just hold my life experience in higher regard than yours.

The bottom line: language isn't something an adult should get worked up over.
#53Rookie_JetPosted 11/5/2012 11:33:44 AM
Ephemeral1 posted...

I was in the infantry for 6 years, half of which I spent as an NCO. Let me tell you, there is no more mature, sobering experience out there than being a soldier, especially one whose primary duty is to place himself in harms way. I've been subjected to the most debased, vulgar conversations and epithets you can and can't conceive, and I gave as good in return. Were any of us bothered by it? Not in the least. We understood that, in the grand scheme of things, there are far more vile things to be seen and done than can be perpetrated by pen or tongue. I don't offer this as an excuse for my behavior, only as a means of empathy. I suppose we do all have different interpretations of what it means to be an adult, I just hold my life experience in higher regard than yours.

Sobering maybe, but nothing you described sounds mature in the slightest. Perhaps we have different definitions of that as well.
#54Ephemeral1Posted 11/5/2012 11:41:38 AM
Rookie_Jet posted...
Ephemeral1 posted...

Sobering maybe, but nothing you described sounds mature in the slightest. Perhaps we have different definitions of that as well.

I guess you missed the bottom line. It's ok, I didn't really expect people to understand anyways.
#55strange_guyPosted 11/5/2012 11:44:29 AM
Love it how some adults think using language is a mature thing when 12 year olds use the exact same words.
#56Rookie_JetPosted 11/5/2012 11:50:48 AM
Ephemeral1 posted...
Rookie_Jet posted...
Ephemeral1 posted...

I guess you missed the bottom line. It's ok, I didn't really expect people to understand anyways.

I believe your bottom line was not to let little things get to you which, in general, I agree with. I just don't think your anecdote helped your argument at all.

My bottom line though is that even though we shouldn't allow ourselves to be externally controlled (emotionally), we are human and at a certain point, malicious trash talking can ruin the fun for others so there needs to be some consideration for that. "GG easy", in my opinion, is really about as far as that line should go unless you do know the person and/or they can see you in person and be able to judge from your body language and tone of voice, that your intentions are not with malice. More than that without the other context VERY easily perceived as unsportsmanlike.

I mean really...can you not have enough fun just playing the game? If the majority of your fun comes from smack talk, then maybe you should play something else or at least play with friends or other people in real life who can correctly interpret your words as jocular.
#57Ephemeral1Posted 11/5/2012 11:52:14 AM
strange_guy posted...
Love it how some adults think using language is a mature thing when 12 year olds use the exact same words.

And you've completely missed the point. It's not the use of language that distinguishes you as an adult, but how you respond to it. Mature individuals could care less about petty name calling. Sticks and stones, remember?
#58Black_AssassinPosted 11/5/2012 12:05:20 PM
Ephemeral1 posted...
And you've completely missed the point. It's not the use of language that distinguishes you as an adult, but how you respond to it. Mature individuals could care less about petty name calling. Sticks and stones, remember?

I would classify silently forwarding the issue to the proper authorities as a mature response.
#59HL_is_the_bestPosted 11/5/2012 12:13:40 PM
Lysamus posted...
Ephemeral1 posted...
Heh: "You are ignoring 1 message(s) from users on this page." Maybe I was wrong, maybe the troll is still wasting his breath anyways.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you our model for "grown up" behavior.

QFT
---
''Is it possible to kill the Scout with his own balls if you handle your blast with skill?'' USTraficant
#60SalvatorePosted 11/5/2012 12:15:53 PM
There's no need to show poor sportsmanship. If you're going to go out of the way to prove that you're a douchebag, then I'm going to take the easy step of clicking the red ! and I'd definitely punish anybody doing the same thing that comes up in the tribunal.

There is never any need to be a dick in chat. You chose to rub your victory in the opposing team's face, so, no, I'm not going to shield you from Riot's response to that.
---
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.