Good ranged character for a beginner?

#1Flame_HazardPosted 11/9/2012 7:44:16 PM
A friend of mine wants me to check this game out. Played the tutorial and whatnot, game seems pretty cool, but I'm a person that likes consistency. So I'm going to buy a character that I can play with as much as I want. I thought Ashe seemed cool, but from everything I've read, she's one of the least effective characters, even if viable. Because of this, I don't trust my own judgment.

At present, I'm strongly considering Ezreal, and..Draven. I've gotten the impression that the latter of the two is overpowered. Anyway, thanks for any advice.
---
Warning: EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Keep away from populated message boards.
#2XEvent-HorizonXPosted 11/9/2012 7:46:04 PM
You have 6300 IP already?
---
Signatures are for the weak.
#3MwarriorHieiPosted 11/9/2012 7:46:46 PM(edited)
ezreal and draven are great champs to learn to play the game with.
also give orianna a try if you want to try a mage. or anivia.
---
o.o
#4Silvanus350Posted 11/9/2012 7:46:42 PM
Ashe is the first character that I ever bought, and I've gone on to play > 200 games with her. She's very easy to learn.

That being said, as you noted, she's also perhaps the weakest ADC in the game right now. I would recommend grabbing Tristana for free by subscribing to Riot Game's Youtube channel and play with her. People will tell you her mid-game is weak, but her kit is much more friendly than Ashe - and she is also an ADC.
---
You are now breathing manually.
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ~ |||||||||||||||||||| ~ ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#5TAMIUS_REBORNPosted 11/9/2012 7:52:23 PM
MwarriorHiei posted...
ezreal and draven are great champs to learn to play the game with.
also give orianna a try if you want to try a mage. or anivia.

For the love of troll don't listen to this guy. Ezreal is all skillshots, Draven you have to catch axes (super easy until a teamfight where you have to catch them, while repositioning, while avoiding the entire enemy team that wants to destroy you because you're so strong. You will not catch the axes...) Orianna you have to micromanage your little ball thing.

If you want an easy ranged character gets Graves. Very strong, very easy to learn, and a lot tankier than the other ADCs.
---
Steam: Calimar777
XBL: Calimar
#6MwarriorHieiPosted 11/9/2012 7:55:02 PM
For the love of troll don't listen to this guy.

if he starts on hard mode, everything else will be super easy babby mode.
---
o.o
#7Flame_Hazard(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2012 8:17:52 PM(edited)
XEvent-HorizonX posted...
You have 6300 IP already?

no, but I do have 400 RP and wouldn't mind buying the other 575. I have 717 IP.

Silvanus350 posted...
Ashe is the first character that I ever bought, and I've gone on to play > 200 games with her [...]

Tristana free eh? That may end my decision then. I do kind of still want ashe, and I may buy her in the future just for fun, at some point. Are there any other free characters like this though?

TAMIUS_REBORN posted...
For the love of troll don't listen to this guy [...]

I'll go take a look at this Graves character, but what exactly do you mean by all "skillshots"? You've convinced me on Draven. I did see a video of his axe catching and it looked easy enough, but I can see how it might be annoying trying to manage that while running/being focused.

MwarriorHiei posted...
For the love of troll don't listen to this guy.

if he starts on hard mode, everything else will be super easy babby mode.

While I don't know if TAMIUS_REBORN is right about whether you're trolling or not, that isn't too bad of an idea. I'm not really opposed to just learning a more difficult character if said character is very effective. Unless it's EXTREMELY difficult, anyway.
---
Warning: EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Keep away from populated message boards.
#8FlameLord23Posted 11/9/2012 8:18:23 PM
Go ahead and buy Twisted Fate. If you can learn him ADC you can use ANYONE in that role. Even Soraka.
---
Violence is never the answer.
Because the answer is always Vlad.
#9kiba312Posted 11/9/2012 8:19:06 PM
ashe for starters then jump to cait, ez ,graves, or vayne later if you like and learn them
---
(-_-(-_-(0.o)-_-)-_-)
oh noes 0.o
#10MaeluunPosted 11/9/2012 8:22:08 PM
Ashe, Miss Fortune, Caitlyn, and Graves are pretty straightforward and easy to pick up.
---
Attention-starved old people: "Stay away from the summoner!!"
http://i54.tinypic.com/2ed2qeu.jpg http://i55.tinypic.com/of3oyt.jpg