Why is Athene's core on some casters but not others?

#11genericname1234Posted 11/14/2012 6:36:08 AM
jonlaw101 posted...
I take Athene's on some AP Casters like Katarina, Akali and sometimes Lee Sin.

Why would you take Athene's on Kat? You get a kill and you get resets on your skills anyway. Most of the stats on Athene's are completely wasted on her.
---
"SR'ing is having the RNG abuse you." Deshokun
#12ssj4supervegetaPosted 11/14/2012 6:37:58 AM
genericname1234 posted...
jonlaw101 posted...

Why would you take Athene's on Kat? You get a kill and you get resets on your skills anyway. Most of the stats on Athene's are completely wasted on her.

yeah but they're totally cool on akali and kennen
---
LoL summoner: Vejitables
Bromaciaaaaaaaaaaaa!
#13KirbixPosted 11/14/2012 6:41:14 AM(edited)
jonlaw101 posted...

>_< Not only did you respond to a troll seriously, but you just basically said that it's a good move on Akali & Lee Sin (characters with *no* mana) by specifically addressing Kat.

Well played, Jonlaw- well played.
---
Signatures that consist of quotes are bizarre- you could falsify a quote and no one would know.-Jesus
#14Fire_AwayPosted 11/14/2012 6:43:14 AM
genericname1234 posted...
jonlaw101 posted...

my god
---
Now playing: League Of Legends (FireAwayX), Planescape: Torment, Dungeon Defenders (PC), Guild Wars 2 (Floralei/Crownbird)
#15DeanyzyPosted 11/14/2012 6:44:01 AM
You could probably make a case for Athene's on any mana based caster really, it's truly an excellent item. It just gives mages everything they need really, MR for exchanges, insane mana regen and CDR.

I use it on a lot of mages although it's not always an item that's best to rush, aside from a few characters I find it best to just buy a Chalice and then build Athene's after your first major item.
#16SpacefrisianPosted 11/14/2012 7:17:39 AM
Lux spamming lasers, nuff said.
---
Lets move mountains or mount movements.
#17Kandar888Posted 11/14/2012 8:10:12 AM
WaterKnight posted...
I'm trying to learn AP mid and I've been trying to watch some pro players to get an idea on builds etc.

Orianna, Syndra, and Zyra almost always build Athene's as their first item. Then I see people playing champions such as Cass, Xerath, Ahri and they go straight for a Rabbadon's.

How do I determine whether Athene's is core or not? From what I can see most AP mids need blue to use their spells for a significant length of time and the latter champions I listed are no better at mana management than the former, except maybe Cass.

To answer your question, the main reason is mana dependencies. To farm efficiently, these champions can use their skill combo to get near perfect farm with little effort. However, this obviously consumes your mana pool. So the idea behind it is, get MR, CDR, and Mana regen. Also 90 AP is awesome. It's just a great item.
#18AlastreonPosted 11/14/2012 8:11:46 AM
Shuriko posted...
WaterKnight posted...
I'm trying to learn AP mid and I've been trying to watch some pro players to get an idea on builds etc.

Orianna, Syndra, and Zyra almost always build Athene's as their first item. Then I see people playing champions such as Cass, Xerath, Ahri and they go straight for a Rabbadon's.

How do I determine whether Athene's is core or not? From what I can see most AP mids need blue to use their spells for a significant length of time and the latter champions I listed are no better at mana management than the former, except maybe Cass.

It's not really "core" on a lot of champs. Anivia, Galio, Orianna and Swain are the champs I can think of it being a core item for off the top of my head and this is because of their large mana costs. Ever since the nerf to abyssal though, champions who don't benefit from the passive because of their longer range tend to build chalice for the early Mgen/MR and then just finish it a bit later.

if you rush Athene's on Anivia you're doing it wrong

anivia needs durability

Shuriko post
And anivia dosen't need durability what the hell do you think her pasive is for?
Just position well and you shouldn't even lose it.
#19_HeXPosted 11/14/2012 8:15:10 AM
Alastreon posted...
Shuriko posted...
WaterKnight posted...

It's not really "core" on a lot of champs. Anivia, Galio, Orianna and Swain are the champs I can think of it being a core item for off the top of my head and this is because of their large mana costs. Ever since the nerf to abyssal though, champions who don't benefit from the passive because of their longer range tend to build chalice for the early Mgen/MR and then just finish it a bit later.

if you rush Athene's on Anivia you're doing it wrong

anivia needs durability

Shuriko post
And anivia dosen't need durability what the hell do you think her pasive is for?
Just position well and you shouldn't even lose it.

Going by that logic, no one should ever die. Just position yourself well NP
---
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
#20Lord_Spectre_XPosted 11/14/2012 8:16:57 AM
1) Because some champs require lots of mana to trade effectively.

2) Because some champs need mana to push and sustain.

3) Because some champs benefit more from being able to spam spells more often rather than having those spells do more damage. This particularly applies to high utility champs (like Orianna) or people with low AP ratios.
---
PSN: LordSpectreX
BlazBlue: Arakune, P4A: Teddie.